The regularly injured, keep or move on?

For comparison, here’s our key players during this current season.

Reach 3670 minutes out of 3960 - 93%

Bannan 3506 minutes out of 3960 - 89%

Hector 3060 minutes out of 3240 - 95%

Fletcher 2470 minutes out of 3960 - 63%

Westwood 1710 minutes out of 1980 - 86%

Lees 3600 minutes out of 3960 - 91%

Palmer 2910 minutes out of 3960 - 74%

Do we keep or move on the less reliable big-names? Here’s their game-time over two seasons.

Abdi 157 minutes out of 8100 - 2%

Lee 1003 minutes out of 8100 - 12%

Forestieri 1830 minutes out of 8100 - 23%

Hooper 2230 minutes out of 8100 - 27%

Matias 1810 minutes out of 8100 - 22%

My view is that while many of us love watching some of these players, through bad fortune or brittle bodies they don’t play anywhere near enough. With regret I would move all five on and use the approximately £150k per week to keep Westwood and Hector, and to bring in two or three high-quality, high-fitness players in key positions.

Of particular concern is our strikers. If Fletcher is our best “reliable” forward, yet has only played 63% of the season, that’s a major problem. However good Hooper and Forestieri are when available, it’s nowhere near often enough. We need a regular forward-line, and only one of our current batch of Fletcher, Hooper, FF, Matias, Joao and Nuhiu is fit enough and trusted enough - that must be addressed.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Sadly the sprinklers have spent more time on the pitch on Saturday afternoons than Abdi

Try to start a rumour - “German midfielder to Owls. Horst Sprinkler. Spreads it around and covers every blade of grass”

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Do we keep or move on the less reliable big-names? Here’s their game-time over two seasons.

My view is that while many of us love watching some of these players, through bad fortune or brittle bodies they don’t play anywhere near enough. With regret I would move all five on and use the approximately £150k per week to keep Westwood and Hector, and to bring in two or three high-quality, high-fitness players in key positions.

Of particular concern is our strikers. If Fletcher is our best “reliable” forward, yet has only played 63% of the season, that’s a major problem. However good Hooper and Forestieri are when available, it’s nowhere near often enough. We need a regular forward-line, and only one of our current batch of Fletcher, Hooper, FF, Matias, Joao and Nuhiu is fit enough and trusted enough - that must be addressed.

I like your thinking but the approximate £150k a week or £7.5m a season is 3/4 of the saving we need to make to not break FFP so should we get rid we cannot use the saving to bring more in.

Wholesale changes are needed and high earners need to go.

2 minutes ago, the monk said:

Another  thread on the subject , it's all been said and debated 

Think we may aswell wait a few days and see what actually happens 

Apologies for starting this thread Your Monkship.

Vow of Trappist silence from me from now on. 

• Haha 5

If a player is on say 20k a week, but only plays 50% of the time then he is really costing 40k a week in appearances.

Those available for about a quarter of the matches on the same basis will cost double that to 80k. There's got to be better value than that out there, also bearing in mind that some will be also earning more than my 20k a week example.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

6 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

If a player is on say 20k a week, but only plays 50% of the time then he is really costing 40k a week in appearances.

Those available for about a quarter of the matches on the same basis will cost double that to 80k. There's got to be better value than that out there, also bearing in mind that some will be also earning more than my 20k a week example.

Exactly.

I did a thread a year ago showing the cost per minute played of players like Reach and Bannan compared to Hooper and Forestieri....frightening. 

If you factor in the increased value of say Reach and Bannan, and the decreased value of Hooper and Forestieri it gets a whole lot worse.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Exactly.

I did a thread a year ago showing the cost per minute played of players like Reach and Bannan compared to Hooper and Forestieri....frightening. 

If you factor in the increased value of say Reach and Bannan, and the decreased value of Hooper and Forestieri it gets a whole lot worse.

Whilst they're in contract you're unlikely to get rid, which makes it very important not to let sentimentality get in the way when their contracts end. i

Edited by Beauchief Owl

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Absolute no question for me. If they arent fit to play then better off without them. Get rid, end of.

51 minutes ago, Mardy Bum said:

Abdis played 157 mins of football :ghoulguy:

And doesn't feature in player of the year poll because it's only for players who have featured in a match this campaign... think about it, he's not kicked a football in any competition for us all year... I'm starting to think his role model is Urby.