The regularly injured, keep or move on?

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

Forestieri will stay because nobody will pay him what he’s on here . 

Hooper can go , deffo . Lee , obviously goes . Matias , unless he’s prepared to accept a 1 year deal on peanuts , he probsbly goes too 

What is FF on? 25k a week maybe. Some clubs in the championship can afford that. He can go for me. Matias, no thanks and all the others apart from Palmer out of contract can go. Offload Rhodes as well.

5 minutes ago, billyblack said:

What is FF on? 25k a week maybe. Some clubs in the championship can afford that. He can go for me. Matias, no thanks and all the others apart from Palmer out of contract can go. Offload Rhodes as well.

Yeah but who is going to want to pay 25k for a striker who’s done next to naff all in 3 years? I’d happily move him on but I think he will stay . Palmer is a no brainier , he should stay 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

For comparison, here’s our key players during this current season.

Reach 3670 minutes out of 3960 - 93%

Bannan 3506 minutes out of 3960 - 89%

Hector 3060 minutes out of 3240 - 95%

Fletcher 2470 minutes out of 3960 - 63%

Westwood 1710 minutes out of 1980 - 86%

Lees 3600 minutes out of 3960 - 91%

Palmer 2910 minutes out of 3960 - 74%

Do we keep or move on the less reliable big-names? Here’s their game-time over two seasons.

Abdi 157 minutes out of 8100 - 2%

Lee 1003 minutes out of 8100 - 12%

Forestieri 1830 minutes out of 8100 - 23%

Hooper 2230 minutes out of 8100 - 27%

Matias 1810 minutes out of 8100 - 22%

My view is that while many of us love watching some of these players, through bad fortune or brittle bodies they don’t play anywhere near enough. With regret I would move all five on and use the approximately £150k per week to keep Westwood and Hector, and to bring in two or three high-quality, high-fitness players in key positions.

Of particular concern is our strikers. If Fletcher is our best “reliable” forward, yet has only played 63% of the season, that’s a major problem. However good Hooper and Forestieri are when available, it’s nowhere near often enough. We need a regular forward-line, and only one of our current batch of Fletcher, Hooper, FF, Matias, Joao and Nuhiu is fit enough and trusted enough - that must be addressed.

How has Westwood played 86% of the season when previous manager wouldn't pick him for half of it?

The problem with the objective of a smaller but fitter squad is that it is easier said than done.

Smaller is ok. Fitter may feel like it's about going for a younger squad and that's part of it. But in fact our younger players have not exactly been immune from injuries. Age profile wise there is no reason why FF should have spent the best part of the last two seasons in the treatment room; same goes for Matias for all those ridiculously long lay offs; same goes for Van Aken who has now been injured for best part 18 months; same for Winnall, injured while at Derby but out for a pretty well a year and not looking like he's got his game back; Matt Penney seems to have been injured for more than six months; our two loan players from Newcastle and Onomah have been out injured for way longer than we'd have wanted; back end of last season, as soon as Clare started to show some promise, he was injured and out for the final two months.

Sorry to be gloomy.

For me Watching the last few games the way Bruce has played forestieri I’m that free role he sits behind Fletcher and runs the space between midfield and attack for that reason I think he plays in the position of Gary hooper ( different style ) and with with the department needing trimming I think as good as I rate him ( hooper ) he will be released. I can’t see us getting a big enough offer to release sell forestierI and keep hooper

westwood and Palmer are givens for me get them signed up

now the only other one I question and it’s for value more than anything is K Lee. Does anybody have a ball park figure what he’s on I know he’s had horrible injuries and non of us know how bad they are going forward everybody on here always goes crock on here but when he was fit he’s actually one of the fittest players in the division that said for me he comes across a top midfielder on a low midfielders salary hence the question if he’s on 10-15k a week ( pure speculation ) and he looks nearly back to fitness have we got a potentially 30k plus a week  midfielder on our books for cheap already and worth the gamble 

26 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

The problem with the objective of a smaller but fitter squad is that it is easier said than done.

Smaller is ok. Fitter may feel like it's about going for a younger squad and that's part of it. But in fact our younger players have not exactly been immune from injuries. Age profile wise there is no reason why FF should have spent the best part of the last two seasons in the treatment room; same goes for Matias for all those ridiculously long lay offs; same goes for Van Aken who has now been injured for best part 18 months; same for Winnall, injured while at Derby but out for a pretty well a year and not looking like he's got his game back; Matt Penney seems to have been injured for more than six months; our two loan players from Newcastle and Onomah have been out injured for way longer than we'd have wanted; back end of last season, as soon as Clare started to show some promise, he was injured and out for the final two months.

Sorry to be gloomy.

Has he been injured? I thought he hadn't been near the team as he was crap.

• Haha 1

Westwood and Palmer are the only out of contract players I'd keep.

I'd keep Lee if it's on some sort of heavily reduced contract based on how much he actually plays. Maybe with an option to convert it back to a proper deal on his previous terms if he's available for a % of games in the first half of the season. The type of contract I'm not sure even exists and which he almost certainly wouldn't take even if it did. Fantasy land stuff, which means with a heavy heart he's probably gone.

I'd be actively shopping FF.

I think looking at the basic minutes played stats doesn't tell the whole story.

If a player is regularly injured and unable to play due to a number of recurring injuries, say like Hutch was at Chelsea, them maybe that player is not suited to football at that level and will always have a poor availability record. In that case we shouldn't renew. (don't get hung up on me mentioning Hutch as an example).

Compare that with a player who breaks a leg. He may have had an excellent injury free record prior to the break but he is out for many months until recovered. That player may be fine for the rest of his career or he may lose a 'half a yard of speed' and never be quite as good. Maybe worth renewing on a short term basis until we find out which it is.

Each case should be taken individually in normal circumstances. The trouble we have is these aren't normal circumstances. S and P might mean we have to reduce numbers dramatically in which case we might well not renew contracts that we might normally.

12 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Has he been injured? I thought he hadn't been near the team as he was crap.

Well. He was injured for a long time - after the boxing day 2017 game against Forest I think. And then I think he had a set back.

I take the point that if fit he clearly wouldn't be in the side now - but point remains however good/crap he is, he's a player who has been long term injured without that being especially predictable.

9 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Westwood and Palmer are the only out of contract players I'd keep.

I'd keep Lee if it's on some sort of heavily reduced contract based on how much he actually plays. Maybe with an option to convert it back to a proper deal on his previous terms if he's available for a % of games in the first half of the season. The type of contract I'm not sure even exists and which he almost certainly wouldn't take even if it did. Fantasy land stuff, which means with a heavy heart he's probably gone.

I'd be actively shopping FF.

It's worth a try on Lee. He might well say no - but is anyone else going to be prepared to take the risk? 

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

Yeah but who is going to want to pay 25k for a striker who’s done next to naff all in 3 years? I’d happily move him on but I think he will stay . Palmer is a no brainier , he should stay 

depends how much they pay for him, somebody may think hes worth it

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

...and I used two seasons for the injured. Thought it kinder!!

why not do  it over 3/4 seasons before some of them were ruined, Lee for instance in the Wembley season played more games than anyone and if he had a chance to heal properly after his 1st op it may be a different story now, 

49 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

You can't afford to be sentimental.  We need players who can play a full season.  

Sure,, but again all that means is you rule out players where there is obvious risk. It simply isn't possible to recruit players with any assurance about them playing a full season

Westwood and Hutch are two obvious ones to rule out here. For others it's more difficult eg Winnall has been long term injured; assuming fully fit (and that is an assumption) then it's not obvious he's a risky prospect.