The regularly injured, keep or move on?

3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Keep hooper and Lee if poss.

Lee is a quality player. He scores goals and is an infectious player who can add the pressing style Bruce lieks. If he is fit and over his problems there is no reason to hold his injury against him. 

Obviously we are only guessing. Bruce will have detailed info from the medical team. But Hooper and Lee had long runs at the start of last season where they were firing, but then broke down for 18 months.

The 5 players in this thread, Abdi, Hooper, FF, Lee and Matias, have played less than Adam Reach COMBINED over two seasons. For a wealthy club that would be daft. For a club on its financial arris it’s just not sustainable.

Every decision has its element of gamble, but the odds on this one scream at you. They should be replaced with fitter more reliable models.

I'd love to hear Abdi's version of his life here at SWFC.

Where did it all go wrong? Were the personal issues? Mental health issues?

We signed a Swiss  international midfielder that had played regularly in the Premier League

What the hell happened? 

On 24/04/2019 at 10:01, thewookieisdown said:

The problem with the objective of a smaller but fitter squad is that it is easier said than done.

Smaller is ok. Fitter may feel like it's about going for a younger squad and that's part of it. But in fact our younger players have not exactly been immune from injuries. Age profile wise there is no reason why FF should have spent the best part of the last two seasons in the treatment room; same goes for Matias for all those ridiculously long lay offs; same goes for Van Aken who has now been injured for best part 18 months; same for Winnall, injured while at Derby but out for a pretty well a year and not looking like he's got his game back; Matt Penney seems to have been injured for more than six months; our two loan players from Newcastle and Onomah have been out injured for way longer than we'd have wanted; back end of last season, as soon as Clare started to show some promise, he was injured and out for the final two months.

Sorry to be gloomy.

just about everything is 'easier said than done', but we should reduce this grossly overstaffed squad, which a far too big a % aren't fit for what seems like 50% of the time.

On 24/04/2019 at 08:34, james o connor said:

Forestieri will stay because nobody will pay him what he’s on here . 

Hooper can go , deffo . Lee , obviously goes . Matias , unless he’s prepared to accept a 1 year deal on peanuts , he probsbly goes too 

What sort? Dry roast or salted?

4 hours ago, Bannofan said:

I'd love to hear Abdi's version of his life here at SWFC.

Where did it all go wrong? Were the personal issues? Mental health issues?

We signed a Swiss  international midfielder that had played regularly in the Premier League

What the hell happened? 

Ask him and Urby at the same time

From the list I'd definitley keep Forestieri.  I would also offer a new deal to Hooper and, Lee (as long as he has fully recovered from his injury).

Abdi and Matias to go along with the other out of contracts, Pudil, Jones and Boyd.

I would then make Nuhiu, Winnall, Rhodes, Van Aken and Fox available for transfer or, possibly loan.

1 minute ago, York_Owl said:

From the list I'd definitley keep Forestieri.  I would also offer a new deal to Hooper and, Lee (as long as he has fully recovered from his injury).

Abdi and Matias to go along with the other out of contracts, Pudil, Jones and Boyd.

I would then make Nuhiu, Winnall, Rhodes, Van Aken and Fox available for transfer or, possibly loan.

Hooper will be off to the US for a tan and some golf.

Lee just not worth the risk for me.

FF i have just lost interest in, any decent money on the table and he can go.cant wait for the clear out myself.

6 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

If money was no object I would keep all three.

But it isn’t, so I would let each one go to free up funds for reliable players.

14 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Rhodes will go into meltdown the minute he sets foot back here. The bloke didn't even have the bottle to take a penalty.
He clearly dislikes this club and the fans with a gusto. He'll be another " injured "

Another one to get rid of, along with all the others clearly not being available.

The clubs got to toughen up and stop being ar5e wipes for the poor little footballers.

Either play, want to play... or leave.

What are your thoughts on Fernando? Get rid?

Another one who needs to go...Van Aken.

What a waste of space he's been. 

1290 minutes played / 8100 = 16% playing time. 

And to think, we trawled through 200 centre halves, and he was the best buy we could find. £3m just flushed down the bog, plus I'd imagine £15k a week at least in wages. 

It's no wonder we find ourselves in the mess we do. 

14 hours ago, swafty said:

I don't think we have any other option than to get rid, we really can't afford to have players on our books that don't play. So for me it's a goodbye to the likes of hooper, abdi and sadly hutch. Its harsh but its business and we've gone for years with these players on our books and then signing others to play instead of them as their always out. 

Totally agree. Football is now a business and SWFC cannot any longer be a rest and recouperation club for continually injured players, it's financial madness. We let our hearts rule our heads.  I love Hooper, Lee and Hutchinson but they are not value for money.

Owlstalk is all about opinions and we all have a view on who to keep or let go. If we could guarantee 30-35 games a season each, I'm sure we'd all keep Hooper and Lee. 

Let's trust the medical people to advise Bruce and then back the decisions that are made.  In Bruce we trust.

8 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

No he hasn’t at all, stop with the same bullshit , me and others have posted plenty of stats about his appearances and lack of injuries but every time posters on here ignore it and just make poo up. 

The only reason it winds me up is that people on here think if they repeat things enough times it becomes fact.  I really shouldn’t get wound up but it’s like our fans are just intent on making poo up about good players or good servants. 

Hooper was out from December to April during 16-17.

He was out Boxing Day til the end of the season during 17-18.

He was out start of the season until March  this campaign.

That is three lengthy spells on the sidelines here at Wednesday. In the first season it took him 2 months to get up to speed following his arrival from Norwich.

A fantastic player but he’s been here nearly 4 years and hasn’t even made 100 appearances for the club. At 32 a new contract with his injury record is not what we should be looking at. I rate Hooper a lot too.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

On 24/04/2019 at 08:42, ZicoSterland2 said:

Seems a high figure that for Abdi awful signing.

Thats the thing though it wasn't an awful signing, in fact it was an extremely promising signing.

It did however turn out to be a truly awful waste of money.

8 hours ago, York_Owl said:

Totally agree with releasing those 5 and trying to sell/loan out the other 5, whilst we all know it will be difficult as we need to find clubs for them. Easier said than done!

I do think on balance that Hooper will be released. We have 7 strikers and there is no guarantee that we will be able to get rid of Nuhiu, Winnall and Rhodes. He’s a high earner and injury prone and I think this will sway us to release. He’s such a technically gifted footballer tho and it’s a great shame. However, I just have this nagging feeling we may offer Lee a pay as you play or reduced terms deal. There won’t be clubs queuing up for him given his injuries and I think there may be a deal on the table, potentially. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

I ain’t going to keep posting the stats thread after thread. 

We have absolute crackpot fans and most of them post on here 

I know you are a big Hooper fan. Unfortunately, I think he will get released. If so, it would be a great shame as he’s been one of our best footballers over the last 15 years or so. Top class. Very gifted footballer in my opinion. With 7 strikers on our books with no guarantee we can offload Nuhiu, Winnall or Rhodes who are all out of favour coupled with Hooper’s big wages and recent injuries, it may be just too much risk for the club.

You never know, we may have lined up a deal with Norwich for Rhodes to extend his contract etc. We will see. I also think Hooper will have offers on the table from various clubs. 

2 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Go and find them or keep ignoring them like you do in every thread I have posted them in. 

I’m not ignoring them

lol 

I’m talking about Hooper’s time at Wednesday. His past three seasons have been disrupted with lengthy spells on the sidelines. That is a fact. On his wages and with the FFP situation I don’t think it would be wise to offer a new deal.