The regularly injured, keep or move on?

33 minutes ago, dkenyonqfc2 said:

why not do  it over 3/4 seasons before some of them were ruined, Lee for instance in the Wembley season played more games than anyone and if he had a chance to heal properly after his 1st op it may be a different story now, 

Thought I was being fair by basing it on two seasons. After all, it’s recent fitness and age that will count more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

How has Westwood played 86% of the season when previous manager wouldn't pick him for half of it?

I used the minutes he was available.

Under Jos he wasn’t available......which as Toyah once said, it’s a mystery.

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

For comparison, here’s our key players during this current season.

Reach 3670 minutes out of 3960 - 93%

Bannan 3506 minutes out of 3960 - 89%

Hector 3060 minutes out of 3240 - 95%

Fletcher 2470 minutes out of 3960 - 63%

Westwood 1710 minutes out of 1980 - 86%

Lees 3600 minutes out of 3960 - 91%

Palmer 2910 minutes out of 3960 - 74%

Do we keep or move on the less reliable big-names? Here’s their game-time over two seasons.

Abdi 157 minutes out of 8100 - 2%

Lee 1003 minutes out of 8100 - 12%

Forestieri 1830 minutes out of 8100 - 23%

Hooper 2230 minutes out of 8100 - 27%

Matias 1810 minutes out of 8100 - 22%

My view is that while many of us love watching some of these players, through bad fortune or brittle bodies they don’t play anywhere near enough. With regret I would move all five on and use the approximately £150k per week to keep Westwood and Hector, and to bring in two or three high-quality, high-fitness players in key positions.

Of particular concern is our strikers. If Fletcher is our best “reliable” forward, yet has only played 63% of the season, that’s a major problem. However good Hooper and Forestieri are when available, it’s nowhere near often enough. We need a regular forward-line, and only one of our current batch of Fletcher, Hooper, FF, Matias, Joao and Nuhiu is fit enough and trusted enough - that must be addressed.

They all need to go.

I absolutely love Hooper. When he first came and everyone was slagging him off on here I said he would come good and he did. Big time. He's a joy to watch, always shows for the ball no matter how many opposition players are around him and is usually thiking 2 or 3 moves in advance. What a player!

BUT....

We cannot build a promotion winning team around players who cannot stay fit. We have to be ruthless and trim down this bloated squad. Matias, Hooper and Abdi would be first out, along with Fox. IF Kieran Lee is approaching fitness he should be given a 1 year pay as you play contract. We should get as much money as we can for Fessi.

I don't think we have any other option than to get rid, we really can't afford to have players on our books that don't play. So for me it's a goodbye to the likes of hooper, abdi and sadly hutch. Its harsh but its business and we've gone for years with these players on our books and then signing others to play instead of them as their always out. 

Get rid of all the out of contract apart from Westwood and Palmer if they want to stay. I think Boyd will get another year. If release the rest can’t be carrying injury liabilities like Hooper and Lee no matter how good they’ve been. The rest are also for sale for the right price.

Edited by Libertine
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Libertine said:

Get rid of all the out of contract apart from Westwood and Palmer if they want to stay. I think Boyd will get another year. If release the rest can’t be carrying injury liabilities like Hooper and Lee no matter how good they’ve been. The rest are also for sale for the right price.

Why Boyd FFS, chance to get rid of old expensive players and yet people still want to keep them. Crazy

5 hours ago, Steelman said:

They all need to go.

I absolutely love Hooper. When he first came and everyone was slagging him off on here I said he would come good and he did. Big time. He's a joy to watch, always shows for the ball no matter how many opposition players are around him and is usually thiking 2 or 3 moves in advance. What a player!

BUT....

We cannot build a promotion winning team around players who cannot stay fit. We have to be ruthless and trim down this bloated squad. Matias, Hooper and Abdi would be first out, along with Fox. IF Kieran Lee is approaching fitness he should be given a 1 year pay as you play contract. We should get as much money as we can for Fessi.

Dont stop there. Add rhodes, jones, van aken, pelupessey. winnall and nuhiu to that list

• Like 2

15 hours ago, poite said:

Looking forward to seeing Rhodes play in a Steve Bruce side. 

This time next season the debate will be how much of a contract extension should we be offering him

Rhodes will go into meltdown the minute he sets foot back here. The bloke didn't even have the bottle to take a penalty.
He clearly dislikes this club and the fans with a gusto. He'll be another " injured "

Another one to get rid of, along with all the others clearly not being available.

The clubs got to toughen up and stop being ar5e wipes for the poor little footballers.

Either play, want to play... or leave.

7 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Just think , what if the von Trapps had been told to keep their trapps shut FFS :duntmatter:

You’d get the love child of Julie Andrews and Art Garfunkel 

“The Hills are Alive, with the Sound of Silence”.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

You mention to be kind over two seasons? They were all injured for nearly two years so obviously it does t matter over one or two really.  

The fact is FF and hooper no matter what the u educated on here will tell you don’t have any previous problems before that, unsure on abdi, and we know Lee had previous which is a shame. 

FF and Hooper should be judged on their recovery from the only major injury in their careers, both of them ( I will say probably even though we know they did for sure) played when they shouldn’t have under Carlos. But our fans will just keep spouting drivel about them being crocs throughout their career which is absolute testicles 

Hooper has had plenty of niggles and issues throughout his career , starting at Celtic . Probably the reason we got him fairly cheap . Players can be injury prone / have issues and still play   Hutchinson a prime example . Not sure why you are getting all upset about it . Either way he’s had his day and should be released 

I’ve seen mentioned that we could get Lazaar and Aarons for a combined fee of £3m, but do we need to pay that for a left back and a wide player? We could get better if we were smarter in the loan market. In fact, the only player we should consider paying a fee for, is Hector, the rest can be done with loans. As I mentioned in the other thread, our squad has plenty of experience, what we need, is pace, energy and raw talent. I’d rather us borrow fit, hungry, young players, than settle for owning lesser players, especially if they come with a history of fitness issues

Edited by gurujuan

Keep hooper and Lee if poss.

Lee is a quality player. He scores goals and is an infectious player who can add the pressing style Bruce lieks. If he is fit and over his problems there is no reason to hold his injury against him.