Abdi on the comeback trail

Just now, McRightSide said:

You can cancel a players contract at any point of time. You just need to pay.

But there is a difference between a negotiated settlement or outright payment. Yes, of course both parties at any time can agree to end any contract but this situation (and I am not implying in any way that it is the case with Abdi - that is pure speculation by another poster and is probably way off the mark) would be early termination on medical grounds.

5 hours ago, Quist said:

We were sold somebody whose legs/wind whatever you call it had gone. I do not think he was aware he had deteriorated but his club knew and why he was unexpectedly sold to surprise of fans. I am sure he has been affected mentally as he never could do what he had at previous club and realisation he was going to be a 3 year flop can not be easy on anybody. he probably knew fans would not be happy and would raise questions but does not make it easier. If he had some bad injury would have been medically retired so absolutely convinced the aging process kicked in for him and was no longer able to cover ground he used to be able to do which was key part of his game. He has looked off pace since day one and even in reserves looks well off pace. when this sort of thing happens you are lumbered as it is obvious to other clubs their is big issue. we have had 3 managers and all have put him out to grass, this tells me he can no longer play football to a standard necessary for professional game.

Think it says a lot about Watford who ripped us off big style and if he and his agents knew he had problem puts them in same boat. Fromhis demeanour when he arrived I think he was not aware how bad his problem had become although must have known had slowed up a bit. 

I suppose this is danger of buying players over age of 30 or giving them long contracts.

Hard to cover the grass you used to when you’re smoking tabs I suppose 

53 minutes ago, richowl said:

Pudil & Ash Baker were getting sloshed down Eccy Rd on good friday.

Pudil is on the wind down isn’t he. Not been on the bench since beginning of March. We’ll not see him again and he knows that.

2 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

I would envisage that in this type of case, if it were true, it would include some form of mutually agreed pay-off negotiated by the legal representatives of both parties. It would seem in the best interests of both parties that early closure was facilitated.

Yes absolutely. The principle is the same but in reality, he’s probably had money off us already that’d set him up for life really, so it’s hard to argue that severing ties is particularly callous or discriminatory under the circumstances, even if he has developed a problem along those lines. He’s pretty well taken care of now, whatever’s gone on.

Just now, Mr. Tom said:

Yes absolutely. The principle is the same but in reality, he’s probably had money off us already that’d set him up for life really, so it’s hard to argue that severing ties is particularly callous or discriminatory under the circumstances, even if he has developed a problem along those lines. He’s pretty well taken care of now, whatever’s gone on.

Forget Abdi because there is absolutely no proof whatsoever this applies in his case, if I were in the position of the club chairman and there was a player who was missing most games due to "mental illness". I wouldn't just sit back and let them take me to the cleaners over a long contract to the tune of millions. As it is an illness and not a football related injury, I would take the view that it is not my duty to look after him.

I would initially check the precise legal situation with my own solicitors and then offer the players' representatives a deal. I would expect them to make some kind of compromise on wages for a mutually agreed ending of the contract. I would have a figure in my mind that I was prepared to go to when facilitating the closure. If the other party was not prepared to negotiate, I would challenge the case in court.

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Wonder where he’ll go. He seems very settled in Sheffield.

Agree, does seem very settled. 33 years old, wonder if he’ll fancy it at Donny/Rotherham or if he’ll just call it a day.

42 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Forget Abdi because there is absolutely no proof whatsoever this applies in his case, if I were in the position of the club chairman and there was a player who was missing most games due to "mental illness". I wouldn't just sit back and let them take me to the cleaners over a long contract to the tune of millions. As it is an illness and not a football related injury, I would take the view that it is not my duty to look after him.

I would initially check the precise legal situation with my own solicitors and then offer the players' representatives a deal. I would expect them to make some kind of compromise on wages for a mutually agreed ending of the contract. I would have a figure in my mind that I was prepared to go to when facilitating the closure. If the other party was not prepared to negotiate, I would challenge the case in court.

Fair enough fella

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

Which Tory club are you Chairman of?  

8 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Real photo or not, it's strange how  such a talented player has wasted his career away these past 3 years. 2 months left then he's gone, and I shall never want to hear his name again. 

Makes FJ9 look like a genuinely good buy. I don’t care what issues he has; for the p he has taken I hope he disappears forever. Absolute skidmark.

• Haha 1