Abdi on the comeback trail

10 minutes ago, Hirst1867 said:

What a totally outrageous post from China Owl. I wonder how many other players would want to join our club if we acted like China Owl is suggesting we do?

Outrageous ?     lol     you'd think he'd battered Abdi to death... Good God, get a grip   It's like Tree huggers central on here.

Chinaowl just looked at it from a business point of view. Which the club is.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hirst1867 said:

And what would you do when the player and his agents said "No thank you - we have a contract here and we will continue to make ourselves available for games when we arent injured?

What then?

As one other poster pointed out, there is a difference between injury and illness. I bet there are examples in football or sport generally in which contracts have been terminated on grounds of health and nobody thought any the worse about it. The key is how the severance is negotiated. If it is fair to both parties and not just one, why should it be an issue? Fairness in my view cuts both ways. Is it any more moral to force an employer to fully remunerate you for a contract that cannot be be fulfilled on grounds that they have absolutely no control over?

14 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

As one other poster pointed out, there is a difference between injury and illness. I bet there are examples in football or sport generally in which contracts have been terminated on grounds of health and nobody thought any the worse about it. The key is how the severance is negotiated. If it is fair to both parties and not just one, why should it be an issue? Fairness in my view cuts both ways. Is it any more moral to force an employer to fully remunerate you for a contract that cannot be be fulfilled on grounds that they have absolutely no control over?

Can you provide any such examples then?

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Can you provide any such examples then?

If you are pushing me for one on mental health, no I can't. I would guess that, in the case of Taylor, the little guy that played cricket for Notts and England, early termination of the contract would have been agreed to his unfortunate heart condition. Of course the circumstances would have been considered when negotiating the severance. It would have taken into consideration the unexpected nature of it, the severity, his appearances and performances and his dedication, all of which he would have been held in high esteem. It would, of course, depend on the individual circumstances. I don't know of any cases my self, but I suspect other sports persons have agreed early severance on medical grounds such as being diagnosed with diabetes. Call it early retirement if you like but it all amounts to the same thing.

11 hours ago, scram said:

If any club were to treat a player with mental health issues like that then they would instantly be the pariahs of the football world - and far beyond

You sound like a right f*cking dinosaur and your attitude to mental health is disgusting

Thankfully most of the world is moving on

where has this mental health diagnosis come from ?

7 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

If you are pushing me for one on mental health, no I can't. I would guess that, in the case of Taylor, the little guy that played cricket for Notts and England, early termination of the contract would have been agreed to his unfortunate heart condition. Of course the circumstances would have been considered when negotiating the severance. It would have taken into consideration the unexpected nature of it, the severity, his appearances and performances and his dedication, all of which he would have been held in high esteem. It would, of course, depend on the individual circumstances. I don't know of any cases my self, but I suspect other sports persons have agreed early severance on medical grounds such as being diagnosed with diabetes. Call it early retirement if you like but it all amounts to the same thing.

I’m not pushing you for anything really. You just said you bet there are examples so I thought it might help the discussion along if you could provide one/some.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I’m not pushing you for anything really. You just said you bet there are examples so I thought it might help the discussion along if you could provide one/some.

To be honest Sonny, if that were to happen (and again I emphasise that I am not suggesting there is any grounds to suggest this in Abdi's case), I wouldn't expect the condition to be mentioned, suffice to say the contract was "terminated on mutual agreement".

I worked for a company who’s advertising line is “You’ll love what we do”

They got rid of me after I was taking more time off due to my wife suffering some pretty severe mental health issues following the birth of our daughter. Those issues obviously caused a huge strain on myself causing depression, stress and anxiety.

I also worked for a huge national organisation who’s local level management took great effort to ask how my grandfather was in the few weeks before his death. They knew I loved him to bits. As soon as he’d passed they couldn’t give a damn, even saying they’d struggle to get cover for me on the day of his funeral.

Totally irrelevant to Abdi perhaps? But it shows how two faced some people can be. Mental health is the silent killer that is often totally misunderstood by those without any real experiences of the effects  when dealing with its most severe circumstances.

• Like 1

I’ve had anxiety issues, but if a professional athlete is happy to take his massive salary for years on end without doing anything in return, then I would certainly think they’d be taking the p*ss out of all concerned

54 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

To be honest Sonny, if that were to happen (and again I emphasise that I am not suggesting there is any grounds to suggest this in Abdi's case), I wouldn't expect the condition to be mentioned, suffice to say the contract was "terminated on mutual agreement".

I’d be inclined to agree to a certain extent. Almen Abdi for whatever reason appears to have no intention of playing football for Sheffield Wednesday. His contract should have either been payed up, settled or terminated a long time ago 

Guest Hirst1867
7 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

Classic Owlstalk

Abdi now has mental health issues.

Because someone on Owlstalk said it.

He'll be getting a £350k pay off before you know it

14 hours ago, Stoop said:

I’ve had anxiety issues, but if a professional athlete is happy to take his massive salary for years on end without doing anything in return, then I would certainly think they’d be taking the p*ss out of all concerned

What does someone salary have to do with it?

A mental health issue is still a mental health issue regardless of what you earn.

I know as much about Abdi as the next man, but one thing is certain - If the bloke is indeed struggling he’s not going to get better if he ever reads this thread. 

23 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

It may be worth reading this..

https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/dismissals-due-to-illness

Dismissals due to illness

Sometimes an employee may have to stop working because of long-term ill health. They may resign, or you may have to consider dismissing them.

Considering dismissing an employee

Dismissal is a last resort and you should consider as many ways as possible to help the employee back to work, including:

• getting a medical report from their GP with the employee’s permission - they have the right to see the report before you do
  • arranging an occupational health assessment
  • work out whether or not they’re disabled and make any reasonable adjustments to help them do their job

If the employee cannot do their job because there are no reasonable adjustments that can be made, it may be fair for you to dismiss them, even if they’re disabled.