Abdi on the comeback trail

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Agree, does seem very settled. 33 years old, wonder if he’ll fancy it at Donny/Rotherham or if he’ll just call it a day.

Loovens managed to get a two year deal at Sunderland, so Pudil  might look for another contract but he'll have to take a big wage cut in all probability.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

17 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Im no expert in this field but that looks to me like a "special Fàg"   or a cone as it's often called ...:Sid:

Mebbe his parents went totally alliterate with Almen Asheesh Abdi ?? lol 

and....……………………..

I don't believe you're not an expert at nothing OG lol   FFS

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

I refer the honourable gentleman to one Franny Jeffers. 

He is much worse than Jeffers.

Abdi cost £4m and has done zip here.

Jeffers cost 700k and was starting to look like he could get some goals before Shawcross finished him off.

Yes Jeffers was poor but there were some mitigating circs and we have had other strikers who haven’t delivered when coming here.

Abdi has been shocking on just about every level.

Absolutely tragic signing  I don't think there wasn't a fan alive who wasn't excited that we'd signed him, Watford fans were up in arms that he'd been allowed to leave and we'd had their pants down.

On paper he was on a completely different level to anything we had in the team.

This will go down as one of if not the most disastrous signing in our history.

Edited by Blue and white
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

He is much worse than Jeffers.

Abdi cost £4m and has done zip here.

Jeffers cost 700k and was starting to look like he could get some goals before Shawcross finished him off.

Yes Jeffers was poor but there were some mitigating circs and we have had other strikers who haven’t delivered when coming here.

Abdi has been shocking on just about every level.

Never reached a level to be judged on, disaster and cost a fortune.

4 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

Forget Abdi because there is absolutely no proof whatsoever this applies in his case, if I were in the position of the club chairman and there was a player who was missing most games due to "mental illness". I wouldn't just sit back and let them take me to the cleaners over a long contract to the tune of millions. As it is an illness and not a football related injury, I would take the view that it is not my duty to look after him.

I would initially check the precise legal situation with my own solicitors and then offer the players' representatives a deal. I would expect them to make some kind of compromise on wages for a mutually agreed ending of the contract. I would have a figure in my mind that I was prepared to go to when facilitating the closure. If the other party was not prepared to negotiate, I would challenge the case in court.

If any club were to treat a player with mental health issues like that then they would instantly be the pariahs of the football world - and far beyond

You sound like a right f*cking dinosaur and your attitude to mental health is disgusting

Thankfully most of the world is moving on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

Forget Abdi because there is absolutely no proof whatsoever this applies in his case, if I were in the position of the club chairman and there was a player who was missing most games due to "mental illness". I wouldn't just sit back and let them take me to the cleaners over a long contract to the tune of millions. As it is an illness and not a football related injury, I would take the view that it is not my duty to look after him.

I would initially check the precise legal situation with my own solicitors and then offer the players' representatives a deal. I would expect them to make some kind of compromise on wages for a mutually agreed ending of the contract. I would have a figure in my mind that I was prepared to go to when facilitating the closure. If the other party was not prepared to negotiate, I would challenge the case in court.

The fact that you have put 'mental illness' like that indicates you don't have the most sympathetic attitude towards this subject.

I am glad you are not in the position of club chairman of any organisation I am involved in on the basis of the above post.

2 hours ago, scram said:

If any club were to treat a player with mental health issues like that then they would instantly be the pariahs of the football world - and far beyond

You sound like a right f*cking dinosaur and your attitude to mental health is disgusting

Does smoking weed make you mentally ill?

Hard to know what's going on with the conflating of sensitive issues. I'd be more inclined to say it's likely he's just  incredibly dim. Frankly it's our own issues for not vetting our own signings properly.

2 minutes ago, Pulixifer said:

Does smoking weed make you mentally ill?

Hard to know what's going on with the conflating of sensitive issues. I'd be more inclined to say it's likely he's just  incredibly dim. Frankly it's our own issues for not vetting our own signings properly.

It's not about what may or may not be the problem with Abdi

My post was a response to somebody making crass and frankly immoral judgements around mental health issues

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Absolutely tragic signing  I don't think there wasn't a fan alive who wasn't excited that we'd signed him, Watford fans were up in arms that he'd been allowed to leave and we'd had their pants down.

On paper he was on a completely different level to anything we had in the team.

This will go down as one of if not the most disastrous signing in our history.

Do we ever get any luck?

6 hours ago, scram said:

But....  The business world isn't. And all he was doing was applying business methods to the issue.

That's what happens in the business world. No need to shout abuse at him for that.
No company keeps an employee that has long term illness. Everything he said is along the same methods that

happens to any employee that falls long term ill.

None of us know exactly what's going on, there has to be good reasons for this or we would have seen him go already.
DC's " Family " approach may also extend to.... we don't let down family. Who knows ?

But let's not throw ChinaOwl to the wolves for applying standard business practice.
I'd sooner the club be run correctly, than politically correctly.

Worst signing in our history. 

Makes me laugh when people on this forum slag off hard working grafters like  pelupessy , fox and even Dawson , yet defend this waste of space.  I know who I’d rather in my team. Luckily we will soon be shut of him . Good riddance 

Edited by james o connor

3 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

But....  The business world isn't. And all he was doing was applying business methods to the issue.

That's what happens in the business world. No need to shout abuse at him for that.
No company keeps an employee that has long term illness. Everything he said is along the same methods that

happens to any employee that falls long term ill.

Aye, let's look at it from the perspective of another vocation. If an airline was to employ a pilot on say $300,000 per annum + benefits on a fixed term four year contract but shortly into the contract it was discovered that he had mental problems that would keep him grounded until the end of the contracted period, do you continue to pay him the full salary or do you try to come up with a severance package in which both parties make concessions (bear in mind that during this period, you also have to pay another pilot for what this guy is supposed to be doing thus effectively doubling the cost)?

Having sympathy with his plight is one thing but there is also the small matter of what is right for your business. Political correctness only goes so far. By the way, I also take the viewpoint that a negotiated severance is not heartless, it is realistic. Both parties in the agreement get something.

Guest Hirst1867
15 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

And what would you do when the player and his agents said "No thank you - we have a contract here and we will continue to make ourselves available for games when we arent injured?

What then?

11 hours ago, scram said:

10 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The fact that you have put 'mental illness' like that indicates you don't have the most sympathetic attitude towards this subject.

I am glad you are not in the position of club chairman of any organisation I am involved in on the basis of the above post.

^^ Thank God for the above 2 posts.

What a totally outrageous post from China Owl. I wonder how many other players would want to join our club if we acted like China Owl is suggesting we do?