Abdi on the comeback trail

Guest LondonOwl313

Can’t believe the number of posts people make on here about players who are 28-32 years old saying they’re way too old and physically past it. Your body peaks physically (strength, stamina) at 25 and stays at that level into your 30s assuming you’re training regularly. It’s only once you get to 35 it starts going downhill, and even then it’s at the margin, which is all it takes at professional sport level.

Look at Ronaldo and Messi.. 34 and nearly 32 respectively and still the best two players. Giggs played until 40. In athletics, Mo Farah is 36 and so is the 100m champion Justin Gatlin.

Age in itself isn’t a problem for this squad. We’ve had issues with pace and athleticism for 3 years when most of these players were 26-28, so it’s more that they don’t have these characteristics rather than them being over the hill. Add some players with pace to the squad to complement them and it will all be good

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We don't know all the facts regarding him.

I think he has some issues since joining us mentally which has really affected him and his drive to play.

If that were the case, ive absolutely no doubt the club would have made this known, if nothing else but to stop the fans anger regarding his disappearing acts.

Also, one doubts DC would have been so scathing if he knew Mr Bump had mental issues.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

What’s he said then? 

Don't think anyone would be impressed if you spoke to them one to one  and then splattered it all over social media no matter what walk of life .

I'll give you an example and will say no more ,as I only mentioned talking to him to defend the mental health rumour.

We played Norwich in a teatime ko live on sky

Carlos said he pulled out injured in the pre match interview

When I spoke to A.A the following week he said he wasn't injured he was fine !

As to why CC would say that I wouldn't know 

Guest Bulgaria
13 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

The risk of buying players who've had it better elsewhere.

Heard there's now a ban on the chairman entering the dressing room on a match day. 

So that probably tells you there's 2 sides to every story 

What if he had left his fags in there from the night before?

1 minute ago, Bulgaria said:

If that were the case, ive absolutely no doubt the club would have made this known, if nothing else but to stop the fans anger regarding his disappearing acts.

Also, one doubts DC would have been so scathing if he knew Mr Bump had mental issues.

Quite the opposite if a player as issues the club would respect any players privacy. 

Personally I don't see the need the need to know every piece of information from within the club 

Just now, the monk said:

Don't think anyone would be impressed if you spoke to them one to one  and then splattered it all over social media no matter what walk of life .

I'll give you an example and will say no more ,as I only mentioned talking to him to defend the mental health rumour.

We played Norwich in a teatime ko live on sky

Carlos said he pulled out injured in the pre match interview

When I spoke to A.A the following week he said he wasn't injured he was fine !

As to why CC would say that I wouldn't know 

I think it’s no secret Abdi wasn’t a Carlos signing. Clearly those above him brought him to the club. 

But if it’s the same Norwich game i’m thinking of (where FF refused to play) I’m pretty sure he played?

Anyway, you could write a book on Wednesday in the Chansiri era and no doubt it would be a bestseller. 

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think it’s no secret Abdi wasn’t a Carlos signing. Clearly those above him brought him to the club. 

But if it’s the same Norwich game i’m thinking of (where FF refused to play) I’m pretty sure he played?

Anyway, you could write a book on Wednesday in the Chansiri era and no doubt it would be a bestseller. 

He didn't play , but either way  it is a weird carry on 

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

He’s going to be right up there on “ the worst Wednesday transfers ever” when ever that thread comes up again. Actually think he could make the no 1 spot his own

yes said the very same myself  and  it is a hell of a statement if you lived through the years I have 

but to be fair players in the past had to play to live   now they become multi millionaires on signing this guy turns up with a pro team running his twitter with pictures of his holidays and contributes one goal for an estimated £7-8 m 

feckin disgrace  

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

A complete and utter waste of a contract.

When you think about the £4m we wasted on this guy, plus his wages (which’ll be at least £20k a week), then you think about the problems we are currently having with FFP, it really does leave a bitter taste.

The sooner this expensive mistake f**ks off out of our club the better.

he be on way more than 20k a week ,at time we got him he was highly rated ,id say he be nearly our highest paid player 30-35k a week minimum that works out over 3 years inc 4 million fee at a whopping 10 million wasted . Rhodes is 8 million fee then 40k a week so that's 16 million over 4 years minus the the 2 million wages we saved this season and a loan fee say another 1-2 million so if Rhodes gets another loan next season abdi will go down by a mile as our worst ever signing in our history . he is a ******* joke and makes me sick that he takes a wage for doing nothing ,surely he should have been either sacked or written off through ill health . 

Guest Hirst1867

Got to love Owlstalk - when you've got some guy claiming hes spoken to Abdi a few times and hes never mentioned his mental health issues to him so hes defo not got any lol 

Which is nearly as funny as some idiot never having spoken to him and reckoning hes been out of the side due to mental health issues and nowt to do with injury.

Edited by Hirst1867

Guest Ash76
3 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

That should be grounds for termination of contract. Injuries are one thing but mental problems are more akin to illness. If that affects a footballer's ability or willingness to play the game, the club should look into the legal ramifications of an early pay-off.

Oh aye, that’d go down really well.

Mental illness, get rid and wash our hands of him

Besides I get the feeling he’s just a waster with no balls and didn’t fancy it from day 1 up here 

3 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Oh aye, that’d go down really well.

Mental illness, get rid and wash our hands of him

Besides I get the feeling he’s just a waster with no balls and didn’t fancy it from day 1 up here 

It happens in lots of occupations. A work contract implies that you are fit and willing to carry out a role. If that is later found not to be the case, depending on the circumstances and the content of the contract, early termination can result. I have no idea what is included in a footballer's contract. If it includes a health declaration as part of the medical and a footballer fails to notify of a previous known condition, I think early termination would be fully justified. Of course, that also depends on previous knowledge of the condition.

35 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

A work contract implies that you are fit and willing to carry out a role. If that is later found not to be the case, depending on the circumstances and the content of the contract, early termination can result.

I’m sure there are specific cases when it can, but in the vast majority of jobs, terminating someone’s contract solely due to a bout of mental ill-health would be illegal, and rightly so.

Absolutely no idea what the situation is with Abdi. Just like everyone else in this thread. Wants shutting down IMO.

Edited by Mr. Tom

Some people are really embarrassing themselves in this thread.

I don’t think speculating about his mental health is on at all. Regardless of the accuracy (which I don’t think it is at all btw)

Our ex-Physio told me that he wasn’t playing under Carlos because it was clear that he was a spent force physically and actually wasn’t that bothered about playing either

1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

I’m sure there are specific cases when it can, but in the vast majority of jobs, terminating someone’s contract solely due to a bout of mental ill-health would be illegal, and rightly so.

I would envisage that in this type of case, if it were true, it would include some form of mutually agreed pay-off negotiated by the legal representatives of both parties. It would seem in the best interests of both parties that early closure was facilitated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I would envisage that in this type of case, if it were true, it would include some form of mutually agreed pay-off negotiated by the legal representatives of both parties. It would seem in the best interests of both parties that early closure was facilitated.

You can cancel a players contract at any point of time. You just need to pay.