A Captain to be proud of

Tom Lees.

Understated. Unassuming. Underrated.

I've always been a big fan of Tom Lees and as ridiculous as it sounds when we talk about football, I have been genuinely gutted to see negative discussion around him and his performances but it's nice to see Bruce recognise his professionalism. 

I genuinely think he is the fulcrum around which we can build a very very solid team. He isn't a world beater, he's not the best defender aerially nor with the ball at his feet, but he is stoic, brave and gutsy and clearly puts his all into every performance. 

This post isn't really linker to today's game but I guess that just reflects his abilities. Solid throughout. 

Im a massive fan. Really didn’t like the criticism he was getting earlier in the season. 

He’s a solid championship CB and has been a fantastic signing for us. 

Today I noticed, probably for the first time, him going round the team encouraging them and trying to get more out of them. Shows he is a leader in the group too.

9 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Im a massive fan. Really didn’t like the criticism he was getting earlier in the season. 

Today I noticed, probably for the first time, him going round the team encouraging them and trying to get more out of them. Shows he is a leader in the group too.

Agreed, although I do think some of the criticism early season was somewhat justified. IMO he looked less than the player we all know he is for a good 3-4 months after Loovens departed; he appeared slightly uncomfortable with the sudden surge in responsibility/authority, and was a little cagey in making that step up to team marshal (especially for someone who’s been here so long and is so well liked by the vast majority of fans).

He does appear to have settled into that role much more effectively at last, though - totally agree his marshalling was much more visible yesterday, maybe it’s a camera angles thing - and in the absence of Loovens, I don’t think we can underestimate the role Westwood’s return has had in that.

Westy does all the screaming and pointing that just isn’t part of Lees’ personality, leaving him free to do his actual captaining on a more subtle level. He’s a quiet bloke with a very gentle and unassuming manner about him, as we know, and zero desire to be the focus of attention.

Not necessarily qualities that instantly mark him out as a captain on the face of things, but his dignity, poise, professionalism, workrate and unwavering commitment to his role (seriously, has he *ever* had a game where he gave less than his all? When did he last get subbed?) most certainly are.

My one criticism these days is that he very occasionally still jockeys and backs off for too long, well into shooting range, and I’d like to see him draw an imaginary line about five yards *outside* the penalty area where he becomes much more direct if people are running at goal in possession, rather than nearer the penalty spot as he seems to favour now.

Even so, we’d never be able to replace him with anyone half as dependable without spending big, and his partnership with Hector has been astoundingly solid since Christmas. Still a very key part of this side going forward.

10 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Criticism was because he was playing poorly .. not got it in his locker to do more then defend and hes not a leader. When hes got someone at the side of him or behind that can lead it allows him to do what he does best .. defend

4 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Criticism was because he was playing poorly .. not got it in his locker to do more then defend and hes not a leader. When hes got someone at the side of him or behind that can lead it allows him to do what he does best .. defend

Playing poorly...when he had a different partner every single week, different full backs every week and changing from a back 3 and a back 4 every other week. Is there any wonder he wasn’t his consistent self? 

Thank god we have a manager who just lets him get on with his game and do what he does best - defend.

He was awful first half of the season when Jos gave him the responsibility of playing out from the back. It’s never been his game, he’s an old fashioned centre half who puts his body on the line and does the simple stuff. Been class since Jos went.

I loev Tom Lees as a centre half but he's a terrible captain 

when he needs to be in the centre of things he too often leaves it to the likes of Bannan and Hutch 

Im fed up of seeing players come to Hillsborough and basically referee the game while Lees says nothing 

Edited by squonk

He's a very good player but I'd question his selection as captain. It's ok saying he leads by example etc, but for me he's not vocal enough. You never see him encouraging people or organising people etc. The only one for me that's close is Westwood but then I don't like keepers as captain.

I thought he had a really fine game against Dirty Leeds on Saturday.

Time and again be made an interception or got a key block in.

His defending kept us affloat along with an outstanding display from Wetwood of course.

Looking back it is unbelievable how Luhukay managed to totally unsettle Tom Lees and the weekly-changing defence.

Hes a very good professional and does the club proud.

I personally would have Bannan as the captain, but I suppose it will depend on whether he stays at the club next season if SB decides to change things. If SB does change it goes without saying he will have to think carefully what he says to Lees - maybe he wont change it.

As SB has said, some big decisions ahead over the next few months.