Emerson Thome

8 hours ago, shandypants said:

Of the centre-halves I seen, Des Walker was the best, Mick Lyons a close second and then I honestly believe Peter Shirtliff was third best. Hard then to decide an order between Pearson, Viv Anderson and Emerson Thome. 

3 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Shitliff better than Pearson...wow controversial!

Yes. Hard as nails. Positionally sound, great anticipation, good in the tackle, exceptional in the air. At least a 7 out of 10 every game. 

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

I would personally place Peter Shirtliff above Nigel Pearson. One of Wednesdays most underrated players.

This. 

33 minutes ago, Nando45 said:

Yeah was class, how did it go now? Something like 

a new king born today Emerson thome...

he looks like Paul warhurst Emerson Thome 

cant remember the rest 

..built like a brick shithouse, he's emerson thome

remember playing chelsea after they'd signed him and the line being changed to .. and just like paul warhurst he was sold on..

37 minutes ago, Nando45 said:

Yeah was class, how did it go now? Something like 

a new king born today Emerson thome...

he looks like Paul warhurst Emerson Thome 

cant remember the rest 

The kop the kop version started 

"He's built like a brick 5hithouse he's Emerson Thome"

9 hours ago, Yoshihiro Sunbeam said:

What are your memories of him?

I thought he was superb and was gutted when we sold him to Chelsea.

Where would he rank among centre backs that played for us in the mid to late 90's?

9 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

Up there with the best centre halves. Des Walker number 1, pearson and thome joint 2nd.

What about the Algerian guy can't remember his name but wasn't he the original overlapping Centre Half

Was a good player but wasn't really at Wednesday long enough to be a club legend or anything.

Was disappointed way he left basically force the clubs hand to make a big money move to Chelsea.

Was surprised his career seemed to go down hill a bit after he left, not sure if he was injury prone as was good enough to play in the Premier League.

He was brilliant but unfortunately wasn't in a great side. Walker was getting towards the end and not as good as he was, Hinchcliffe was crocked and we were a team of work horses rather than footballers.

Remember watching him for Chelsea against Barca in the champions league and he had a right game. Surprised when Chelsea sold him as thought he would be at the top for a while

Guest Kagoshimaowl
6 hours ago, shandypants said:

Yes. Hard as nails. Positionally sound, great anticipation, good in the tackle, exceptional in the air. At least a 7 out of 10 every game. 

This. 

Don’t agree at all but I certainly won’t be negging you for it. Both excellent centre halves so it’s a right call!!

14 hours ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

He was ok.

walker, Lyons, Pearson, Shirtliffe, Anderson, Warhurst all ahead you f him in terms of talent.

Think he was the equel of shirts and Anderson.

Was a good solid player  surprised we sold and don't get why Chelsea moved him on so quickly.

6 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

He was brilliant but unfortunately wasn't in a great side. Walker was getting towards the end and not as good as he was, Hinchcliffe was crocked and we were a team of work horses rather than footballers.

Remember watching him for Chelsea against Barca in the champions league and he had a right game. Surprised when Chelsea sold him as thought he would be at the top for a while

Would have though Chelsea would have preferred Thome.

12 hours ago, heppers said:

I think his first game for them was against us. I think I went to thecaway match and he threw his Chelsea shirt to The Wednesday fans.

Did I dream this?

I remember it so vividly. I was at the match with Linda Lusardi.