Emerson Thome

18 hours ago, shandypants said:

Of the centre-halves I seen, Des Walker was the best, Mick Lyons a close second and then I honestly believe Peter Shirtliff was third best. Hard then to decide an order between Pearson, Viv Anderson and Emerson Thome. 

I only caught back end of shirtliffs career so probably didn't appreciate how good he was. Same for Viv. Ultimately we've had some solid centre halves over that period and would be nice to be back there one day. 

I remember seeing him come on as a trialist in a pre season friendly at Hillsborough. Cant remember who it was against but he looked comfortable without breaking a sweat. Signed him up shortly afterwards.

10 hours ago, Colin Dobson said:

Thought the Pearson/Shirtliffe combination was sensationally good. I think you’ll find we were pretty unbeatable with those two at the back. The Cup Finals might have had a different outcome if those two had been available.

I think the loss of Shirtliffe with a broken arm for those cup games has always been vastly overlooked as one of the reasons we didn't win at least one of them.  

• Like 1

3 moments that summon up our relegation:

1. Selling Thome in great time of need for fee that would have never been enough to replace him.

2. Scoring for 3:1 in 89'th minute away at Derby just to draw game 3:3.

3. In six pointer against Watford, with result 0:0 and late in the game Cresswell misses easiest chance we had whole season. We went on to lose 1:0 thanks to Alan Smart's goal.

Extra: Sibon hitting bar from yard out with no keeper on goal in 2:0 reverse against Newcastle (still Cresswell missed worst).

Thome

What a flipping defender

I remember reading an article at the time he was with us where he was trying to force his way in to the brazil squad, sending videos of himself playing for us, no nonsense defending, but the Brazil squad was mainly filled with technicians rather than no nonsense stuff .. i think he deserved to play for them.. Built like a brick shithouse and didn't give a yard.

Absolute quality. Wasn't blessed with being able to watch the likes of Anderson, Pearson, Shirtliff etc, so Thome and Walker were my mainstays!

• Like 1

On 08/03/2019 at 22:27, malek said:

2. Scoring for 3:1 in 89'th minute away at Derby just to draw game 3:3.

Christ, I'd just about got over that.

Main memory of Thome is him looking like he actually gave a poo , in a pretty poor and demoralised side

Like des had everything except distribution, has to be 1 of best combos we've ever had that 1st season together.

Pearson, shirtliff, lyons etc all good cb's for their day but forwards were quicker when we had thome and des, however they had the pace to easily cope and the attributes to nullify target men too.

Always remember des dominating big dunc ferguson vs everton too who was subbed off that game, even tho des was remembered mainly for pace and early tackles over aerial ability.

Quick, tall and strong, thome 1 of best signings ever for little outlay, des up there too imo