Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It appears so yes. In truth, he probably never was best in the league standard, more like a useful talisman to have on the bench. 

If, and it is only an If, he has been offered to QPR on loan, why was he not offered to Norwich first? 

I’m not sure about the if’s and maybes. But I am sure that he played an integral part for a team that was fairly consistently the best in the division last term. 

Whilst I agreed with you before we bought him that we didn’t need him, that was due to us having as good a finisher but better all round player in Hooper. Without Hooper or an offer we can’t refuse I’d say Rhodes offers our greatest consistent goal threat which is something we’d need if we were to compete this year. 

He may not play in or start every game but he’s definitely an option that is far more valuable than top end league one. 

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

I’m not sure about the if’s and maybes. But I am sure that he played an integral part for a team that was fairly consistently the best in the division last term. 

Whilst I agreed with you before we bought him that we didn’t need him, that was due to us having as good a finisher but better all round player in Hooper. Without Hooper or an offer we can’t refuse I’d say Rhodes offers our greatest consistent goal threat which is something we’d need if we were to compete this year. 

He may not play in or start every game but he’s definitely an option that is far more valuable than top end league one. 

He definitely has a value to us, but only in the way he was utilised at Norwich. Such a role can be important though, he is a good finisher, and will always give you an increased chance of grabbing a late goal. The problem is, when people suggest a greater role for Rhodes, and reorganising the side, in order to give him the best chance of prospering. He lacks the tools to lead the attack for a promotion chasing side at this level. Cameo roles from the bench, will be the best he can hope for, in my opinion

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

He definitely has a value to us, but only in the way he was utilised at Norwich. Such a role can be important though, he is a good finisher, and will always give you an increased chance of grabbing a late goal. The problem is, when people suggest a greater role for Rhodes, and reorganising the side, in order to give him the best chance of prospering. He lacks the tools to lead the attack for a promotion chasing side at this level. Cameo roles from the bench, will be the best he can hope for, in my opinion

I agree by and large, great option off the bench and also a bit of a flat track bully against the lesser teams in the division. We’ve struggled against those lesser teams though historically. 

I’m more convinced this time round then when we originally bought him that he could succeed this time round. We have people who can get crosses in, we no longer have a finisher, we no longer have the mercurial talent that was fernando. 

He plays best against weaker teams, tiring defenders, or when someone tirelessly does his work and I think we have plenty of opportunity to do all of the above. 

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It appears so yes. In truth, he probably never was best in the league standard, more like a useful talisman to have on the bench. 

If, and it is only an If, he has been offered to QPR on loan, why was he not offered to Norwich first? 

Because we had a signed contract with Norwich saying if they wanted to buy him during or at the end of the loan they could do so for £7m. They then offered a lower figure. You know what a stickler DC is for contracts, we agreed £7M so pay that or take a hike.

That's what was suggested anyway. It has the ring of truth to it but who knows.

13 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I agree by and large, great option off the bench and also a bit of a flat track bully against the lesser teams in the division. We’ve struggled against those lesser teams though historically. 

I’m more convinced this time round then when we originally bought him that he could succeed this time round. We have people who can get crosses in, we no longer have a finisher, we no longer have the mercurial talent that was fernando. 

He plays best against weaker teams, tiring defenders, or when someone tirelessly does his work and I think we have plenty of opportunity to do all of the above. 

Yep, a more pressing concern for me though, is likelihood that we will operate again with Fletcher as a lone striker. Clearly, he is the most suited to the role amongst all the strikers we have, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. He certainly doesn’t give us the cutting edge needed when playing that system. Fletcher is no Pukki, so although Rhodes may get us goals from the bench, as he did at Norwich, who will be the main scorer?

Edited by gurujuan

Just now, gurujuan said:

Yep, a more pressing concern for me though, is likelihood that we will operate again with Fletcher as a lone striker. Clearly, he is the most suited to the role amongst all the strikers we have, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. He certainly doesn’t give us the cutting edge needed when playing that system. Fletcher is no Pukki, so although Rhodes May get us goals from the bench, as he did at Norwich, who will be the main scorer?

If we’re playing a top team or tough away team then I’m expecting one up front, that’s most likely Fletch. 

Then against your average teams to poorer teams we’re likely to have two up top. That’s any combination of our strikers with most having both the pro’s and con’s of players playing championship football. 

I think in Rhodes, FF, Joao we have three goal scorers that each have a little something different to bring to the table depending on who the opposition are. 

8 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

If we’re playing a top team or tough away team then I’m expecting one up front, that’s most likely Fletch. 

Then against your average teams to poorer teams we’re likely to have two up top. That’s any combination of our strikers with most having both the pro’s and con’s of players playing championship football. 

I think in Rhodes, FF, Joao we have three goal scorers that each have a little something different to bring to the table depending on who the opposition are. 

Possibly, but it’s then hard for any of them to sustain any type of form, without getting a decent run the side. All are useful options though to bring in, as you say, depending on the circumstances. Still think, the one constant in the side, Fletcher, does not give us enough of a cutting edge. We need someone better suited to the role, and let Fletcher play, like the others, in a horses for courses role

Just now, gurujuan said:

Possibly, but it’s then hard for any of them to sustain any type of form, without getting a decent run the side. All are useful options though to bring in, as you say, depending on the circumstances. Still think, the one constant in the side, Fletcher, does not give us enough of a cutting edge. We need someone better suited to the role, and let Fletcher play, like the others, in a horses for courses role

Certainly agree that Fletchers cover is week with Nuhiu and Winnal. Obviously Nuhiu is useful for being so unconventional and likely not breaking the bank.

I’m unsure on Winnal you don’t score all the goals he did before joining us without having something. I’m just unsure what that something is. He doesn’t have Joao’s athleticism, FF’s trickery, Rhode’s finishing but he’s always scored goals. I think he needs to feel loved and he’s not likely to here with all the other options so needs to be sold ASAP.  

Guest wilyfox
50 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

With service Rhodes = goals next season. Watch this space. 

I think so too, but only if he's determined to turn things around. Needs to show some fight. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Yep, a more pressing concern for me though, is likelihood that we will operate again with Fletcher as a lone striker. Clearly, he is the most suited to the role amongst all the strikers we have, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. He certainly doesn’t give us the cutting edge needed when playing that system. Fletcher is no Pukki, so although Rhodes may get us goals from the bench, as he did at Norwich, who will be the main scorer?

Joao. 

24 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

João with his tooth could do it. Without he's not looked up for the fight

He needs a rocket up his jacksie and also an arm around him too! He has the potential of 20 goals a season if he gets plenty of game time. 

The main issue is our lack of a system which is “ our way of playing “ We don’t have one.

Carlos had one but it didn’t work against top sides.

To be fair to Jos he recognised this but his solution, to play a different system every week depending on the opponents set up was flawed.

We don’t have a system because our squad is unbalanced.

Bruce probably recognised this but needed to get rid of players to solve it. 

We don’t seem to have solved it.

Played a mix of systems in pre season. Can understand why with the current squad but I don’t see success until we get a way of playing and a squad that suits it.

18 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The main issue is our lack of a system which is “ our way of playing “ We don’t have one.

Carlos had one but it didn’t work against top sides.

To be fair to Jos he recognised this but his solution, to play a different system every week depending on the opponents set up was flawed.

We don’t have a system because our squad is unbalanced.

Bruce probably recognised this but needed to get rid of players to solve it. 

We don’t seem to have solved it.

Played a mix of systems in pre season. Can understand why with the current squad but I don’t see success until we get a way of playing and a squad that suits it.

Agree with this, we went from a competitive way of playing, with no plan B, to a completely  reactive approach, sometimes starting with plan C. As a result, weve lost our footballing identity, 

The teams who've been promoted of late, have a defined way of playing. They have a plan B, but execute plan A so well, they rarely need to deviate. 

That's why this next managerial appointment is so crucial. Needs the ability to change a game, but moreover, needs a clear vision and footballing philosophy to deliver the type of attacking football the fans enjoy and DC himself stipulated when he first took over ( although I do appreciate DC's taken a more pragmatic stance on this over the seasons) 

Edited by striker

16 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

You're wrong. 

If this was the case then everybody would throw the kitchen sink at it for 3 years, suck up a punishment, then go again. 

It's a rolling 3 year period, regardless of any punishment handed out. 

I am not wrong. I will try and answer all your points in one post.

Firstly we had no official sanction against us we acted and agreed to soft embargo with EFL. Birmingham signed a player when under similar soft embargo and were referred to disciplinary commission who imposed a sanction against them. So it is absolutely stupid to equate our soft embargo with official sanction Birmingham received. I did not answer early comment about this as I thought not worthy of answer.

This year we have a an embargo for failing to put in accounts on time. I do not know regulations about this but appears we accepted in breach and agreed to have all signings approved by EFL. This has been applied by journalists but could be wrong and may have been more involved.

The point you make about teams ignoring advice and being referred to disciplinary commission is a worthy point and in future you will probably see some teams take punishment this way. Until Birmingham very few knew how punishments would exactly work it was only when judgement was posted it was realised. Not many keen to be trailblazer. YOu have 3 year period to get promotion and go for it if you fail will take a while to get back under control. If accept sanction could get you into relegation trouble but better immediately after. If at end of next cycle they are in trouble again I am not certain if punishments handed out second time could be more sever for repeat offender but its possible.

If you have looked at how punishment works it equates a fine equivalent to losses in excess of £39 million loss which is permitted level. the pay a penalty for this. Hence it would be wrong in whatever way you look at it for more than a £26 million loss be brought forward from two previous years or would be paying twice for same loss. This can not be hard for anybody to see surely. If we broke even every year and lost £90 million in one year. How many times would you expect us to be punished. The answer is once it would be severe but all imposed in one year. If it was rolled forward regardless as suggested we would get punished 3 times which is surely wrong. I know this is not realistic example but I use this to illustrate where trying to apply punishment over a rolling period gets extremely complicated when a punishment has been dished out.

The system is flawed it is not fit for purpose it is supposed to stop clubs getting into difficulty and in my opinion will have opposite effect. The parachute payments need addressing. At other end you have fiasco of Bolton who were given green light they bought and loaned players they could not pay for and players not paid for 4 months. if you are trying to prevent problems they have got it wrong.

• Thanks 1

The Hector thing is a bit strange. Wonder why no ones snapped him up yet? Chelsea can’t be asking for that much surely. He’s out of contract at the end of the season and he’s no where near featuring for Chelsea. He’s not young enough for them to persevere with and they have let plenty of players leave even with there transfer ban.