Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Just now, Bonvin said:

On madine, he used him when he needed to.  On mcgoldrick, I can't remember this place being up in arms when utd signed him after a trial when he was released by Ipswich who went on to be bottom league. Turned out to be signing of the summer.

Exactly, McGoldrick and Sharp gave them an extremely mobile front two, a far cry from the static pairing of Fletcher and Rhodes, who many are pinning their hopes on.

Just now, wilyfox said:

McGoldrick is not quick. 

He’s quick enough to run in on goal from the halfway line. You don’t have to be lightning quick, a bit of pace, and good movement is what’s required. McGoldrick and Sharp gave them that

When you look at teams that we've been competing with for a few years, Derby, Middlesbrough etc. They haven't made any signings of note. Obviously ffp has caught up with a lot of teams now.

Overall across the Championship theres been an estimated £168M players sold and only £77M spent. 

Last year there was £274M players sold and £156M spent by Championship teams. 

The market has slowed down a lot. 

How many times has Marshall been in squads that won promotion from this league? 3? Leicester, Wolves and Norwich? 

He might not improve the 1st 11 but we hardly have a load of wingers, he has a different skill set to anyone else at the club, he’s versatile, experienced and a good age. 

Can’t see much wrong with offering him a 1 or 2 year deal as long as we aren’t relying on him too much. 

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

When you look at teams that we've been competing with for a few years, Derby, Middlesbrough etc. They haven't made any signings of note. Obviously ffp has caught up with a lot of teams now.

Overall across the Championship theres been an estimated £168M players sold and only £77M spent. 

Last year there was £274M players sold and £156M spent by Championship teams. 

The market has slowed down a lot. 

Bristol and Fulham seem to be the only ones who are throwing money around. But even they’ve lost some key players. 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Exactly, McGoldrick and Sharp gave them an extremely mobile front two, a far cry from the static pairing of Fletcher and Rhodes, who many are pinning their hopes on.

Fletcher certainly isn't static.

Who should we sign instead of Marshall? Would signing him that bad a thing with our current squad layout.  

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

He’s quick enough to run in on goal from the halfway line. You don’t have to be lightning quick, a bit of pace, and good movement is what’s required. McGoldrick and Sharp gave them that

Joao & FF have the legs on both of 'em. Sharp has great work-rate and real strikers instinct right place right time. McGoldrick drops short to link play like Hooper. Neither are quick. They're strong as a pair, a greater sum of their individual parts. If we had either, you'd say too old and too slow. 

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Joao & FF have the legs on both of 'em. Sharp has great work-rate and real strikers instinct right place right time. McGoldrick drops short to link play like Hooper. Neither are quick. They're strong as a pair, a greater sum of their individual parts. If we had either, you'd say too old and too slow. 

I wouldn’t argue with any of that, except maybe the last sentence. Certainly I’d be happier to see a Joao/Forestieri pairing, than a Fletcher/Rhodes pairing

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I wouldn’t argue with any of that, except maybe the last sentence. Certainly I’d be happier to see a Joao/Forestieri pairing, than a Fletcher/Rhodes pairing

I don't think we would see much of Rhodes and Fletcher as a pairing. I suspect they'd be competing for the same starting berth. Fletcher has the edge, for me, because he grafts and has some fight in him. If no-one stumps up for Rhodes, he must buck up and get stuck in. I don't like his demeanour at the moment. 

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

I don't think we would see much of Rhodes and Fletcher as a pairing. I suspect they'd be competing for the same starting berth. Fletcher has the edge, for me, because he grafts and has some fight in him. If no-one stumps up for Rhodes, he must buck up and get stuck in. I don't like his demeanour at the moment. 

Agree we will only really see Rhodes on as a sub I think when we are chasing a goal. 

Think we will go with a front three of Reach Fletcher and Harris.

7 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

How can you say that, he's been scoring for fun in the friendlies?

Let's give him a couple of minutes in the first game of the season before we get on his case.

8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Agree we will only really see Rhodes on as a sub I think when we are chasing a goal. 

Think we will go with a front three of Reach Fletcher and Harris.

That might be worth 20 goals a season, not good enough

Just now, vulture_squadron said:

Had no idea about Marshall and his problems off the pitch. Would explain why he's drifted about. Looked class here and then at Leicester but he seems to have been given the boot a few times.

Still, on a free...

Personally I'd pass. He's nothing special now and it seems like he has problems that he needs to address. Do we need the baggage?

The suggestion that Bullen would go for him concerns me.

2 minutes ago, prowl said:

Personally I'd pass. He's nothing special now and it seems like he has problems that he needs to address. Do we need the baggage?

The suggestion that Bullen would go for him concerns me.

It would me too

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That might be worth 20 goals a season, not good enough

The right three in midfield will make a lot of difference. Get Bannan higher up to supply them and I think that three will surprise you this season. Especially Fletcher.