Winnall

Agree with the folks saying we don’t engineer enough chances, but I’d also throw in that the reason Joao tends to blow hot & cold is he makes his own. About 70% of his goals are effectively solo efforts, or so it often seems to me. Nobody’s gonna score every time but his conversion rate is pretty damn good for the way he plays, often basically going it alone and carving something out of nothing.

Other than FF we haven’t got anyone else up top who can do that - every other striker on our books needs it serving up on a silver platter to stand even a 15% change of hitting the onion bag.

That used to be standard for ‘target men’, but it’s just not enough in the modern game - it’s old-fashioned centre forwarding, from back in the days of end-to-end, 100mph British ‘park football’ with a decent chance every other attack (god I miss that).

Pointless having three or four ‘six yard box snipers’ on the books when we’ve barely worked a dozen close-range openings since Carlos came in.

The whole culture of the game has changed massively in 10-15 short years, for better or worse (mostly worse) - nowadays it’s far more like chess; your ‘attack’ starts way back in defence, and unless you’ve got a clear plan for the next six moves, you’re probably not getting past halfway.

Gi’ Hungry Hungry Hippos back FFS

:duntmatter:

Edited by Mr. Tom

Bringing Nuhiu on ahead of Winnall yesterday was a terrible decision. Hopefully it won’t take the new management team long to realise that Nuhiu offers next to nothing and Winnall should be ahead of him in the pecking order. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1

Guest wilyfox
15 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Bringing Nuhiu on ahead of Winnall yesterday was a terrible decision. Hopefully it won’t take the new management team long to realise that Nuhiu offers next to nothing and Winnall should be ahead of him in the pecking order. 

Nuhiu needs a rocket up his arsehole. I'm sorry, but he does. Showed last season what he's capable of for the first time in years. I'd expect greater motivation from any player than to simply earn a new contract - if that's all it was. He needs to grab himself by the nutsack and cause himself some pain. 

4 hours ago, A12owl said:

Have we got a youngster who could play alongside Fletcher/Winnal as a 2 up front?

Single striker isn't working 

What about Borukov?

There are plenty of under 20 year olds playing in the premiership so age shouldn't be the problem .

Youngsters will have no fear and looking to progress through the ranks to the first team.

They should be full of energy and enthusiasm.

Providing the support from midfield or wingers/full backs is there.

Surely worth a try . Not against Luton but Wigan at home.

Might just give the current lot a kick up the behind........or perhaps not.

Hirst? :ph34r:

Guest Kagoshimaowl
8 hours ago, MysticOwl said:

The lad needs a run of games. He has goals in him but needs a run of form to gain confidence. 

We were 2-0 down vs Hull and our answer was to bring on Nuhiu. We all knew this wasnt going to change anything. 

If Winnall needs games to be match ready, then why not chuck him on for 40 minutes when we were 2-0 down instead of Nuhiu? He cant get match ready if we dont play him.

Not sure I agree. Have seen nothing since he came back to show he can start for us. The problem is that although I like Winnall I don’t see him being able to play as a loan striker for us. Does he play wide right? Can he play in the Reach role with Adam our wide? Maybe we need to test one of these out in the Luton game.

9 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Err hang on a minute, with Winnall still recovering from long term injury, and the game effectively lost, it was the right call for me.

Winnall is being eased back after an injury that would have ended his career a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Blatter said:

Err hang on a minute, with Winnall still recovering from long term injury, and the game effectively lost, it was the right call for me.

Winnall is being eased back after an injury that would have ended his career a few years ago.

We where 2v0 down at the time Nuhiu came on, if we had got a quick goal you never know what could have happened. Nuhiu offers next to nothing, the only time he did was when he wanted to earn a new contract. The only way Winnall will get match fit is by playing. 

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

We where 2v0 down at the time Nuhiu came on, if we had got a quick goal you never know what could have happened. Nuhiu offers next to nothing, the only time he did was when he wanted to earn a new contract. The only way Winnall will get match fit is by playing. 

Agree with what you say about Nuhiu’s form, but it’s  a long long time since Wednesday came back from 2-0 down to win a game.

Don’t forget Joao Forestieri, Hooper are all injured and we need Winnall’s recovery carefully managed.

We have a very poor record of injury ‘setbacks’ in the last 3 seasons.

3 hours ago, Blatter said:

Why shouldn't Winnall have managed 35 minutes when he played 10 minutes at WBA, and half an hour against Luton? 

14 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

by a feckin mile Nuhui league 1 at best