FA Cup - Mick on Talksport

I know the 1961 Cup matches against them have already been mentioned, but 1961 was a very good year for The Owls against Manchester United all around. We played them four times in the calendar year, twice in the league and twice in the cup: Won 3 Drawn 1, Goals For 16 Against 5.

The results were:

28th January FA Cup 4th Round

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Derek Wilkinson 14'

MANCHESTER UNITED

Noel Cantwell 43' (pen)

1st February - 4th Round Replay

MANCHESTER UNITED

Mark Pearson 4', Alex Dawson 60'

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

John Fantham 2', 52', Alan Finney 30', 80', Keith Ellis 32', 38', 64'

25th March – Division 1

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Noel Cantwell 4' (o.g.), Gerry Young 14', 52', 65', Bobby Craig 72'

MANCHESTER UNITED

Bobby Charlton 89'

4th November - Division 1

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

John Fantham 9', Tony Kay 14', Keith Ellis 88'

MANCHESTER UNITED

Dennis Viollet 20'

I'm looking forward to our next such run!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chester away - being told by coppers that Chester has 2nd highest gay population in England in a bizarre attempt to encourage us to go straight home after the game (quite a bit of bother beforehand) and loads went in with forged tickets.

Replay when Ian Knight had his career ended with an audible legbreaker.

Where did the Magic go?

For me it was ending the Replays and Semi Finals being held at Wembley.

Man U, playing in that stupid competition that no one remembers whilst not fielding a team in the FA Cup didn't help.

Now it seems the Cup sadly comes 2nd to staying in the PL or gaining promotion or avoiding relegation, 

The days of bigger crowds for a 3rd round match than any League game are sadly long gone.

But I still love it.

3 hours ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Any link to that call, I’d like to listen to that, Mick talks complete sense constantly, can’t say enough good things about him 

No idea how to provide a link mate but if you download the Talksport App, select "Schedule" and then you can chose to re-listen to the Jim White show which is the one Mick phoned into. Won caller of the day (again!). Was a great call, really captured his passion for the FA cup. Like you I always think he speaks well, one of the few on Football Heaven that doens't want me to smash my radio to pieces.

Micks calls are usually pretty good..There was one Wednesday fan used to phone 5 live and he used to make me cringe...It was like listening to an Arsenal fan, but without the trophies to back up his self entitled claims...I once tried to phone up to apologise for the "normal" Wednesday fans...but I didn't get on

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Castleford Owl said:

That postman who scored when Histon beat Leeds 1-0 lol

It's almost fifty years to the day (8th January 1969) since one of my early favourite FA Cup moments when Wednesday won a third round replay 3-1 at Leeds with Brian Woodall scoring twice. Wednesday gave the "legendary" Leeds side, which included the like of Bremner, Sprake, Jones, Charlton, Lorimer, Reaney, Madeley, etc., a right old battering that night.

My dad turned up from work and told me to get my coat. At first, I thought we were moving house, but then he showed me the tickets... Great night out!

1 hour ago, squonk said:

I meant to mention the proper draw as well not seeded and mucked about with so the big teams avoided each other 

I mentioned Charlie George lying full length on the pitch which if memory serves was the match Alan Sunderland scored in it was scorching hot that day i think and the players were dropping like flies with cramp 

I love 3rd round day 

Charlie George was v Liverpool, Alan Sunderland was v Man U 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Any link to that call, I’d like to listen to that, Mick talks complete sense constantly, can’t say enough good things about him 

google talksport then schedule then listen again ( Jim White ) and toggle 11-11,30 my call is about 11-20 

Edited by squonk
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

One of my earliest memories was when I was around 7 and we replayed Everton what seemed about 5 times in around 87/88 ish each game was 1-1 until we got battered about 6-0 at Goodison

I've said this before at matches and all I ever get is "that was Arsenal not Everton"......i'm pleased someone else can remember this..

1 hour ago, 1867Heaven said:

I've said this before at matches and all I ever get is "that was Arsenal not Everton"......i'm pleased someone else can remember this..

Arsenal was 5 matches whilst we were in Division 3.  1 at Hillsborough, 1 at Highbury, final 3 at Filbert street.

Everton was 4 matches whilst we were both (good) division 1 teams. 1st and final games at Hillsborough with 2 in between at Goodison Park.

Remember being at Goodison after the 1st replay, throw of a coin to decide where next match would be.

Both great memories although the final outcome in both was defeat.

Edited by OWL1969
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

I'm not sure why but one of my favourite memories was Mark Brights winner in front of the Kop, in stoppage time against Sunderland in 1993.

Was at University at the time and lived with a Sunderland and a Huddersfield fan who had Arsenal as a second team. The gloating that I did after that goal came back in spades a few months later.

Some great and not so great memories in this thread. Here's a random one from  22 years ago on 4 January 1997 when the excited Grimsby Town fans on the Leppings Lane end, anticipating a possible giant killing, were furiously waving their Harry Haddock fish inflatables as the teams run out onto the pitch. They were soon deflated though - Final Score Wednesday 7, Grimsby 1.