FA Cup - Mick on Talksport

Just heard Mick on Talksport talking about the FA Cup and his memories. Great call and mentioned some of the obvious ones from years gone by, Waddle in semi V Pigs, Ronnie Radford, 5 matches V Arsenal (snowballing Jennings) etc.

Sure we can add some of our favourite Cup memories, don't have to include Wednesday. One of my earliest Cup memories was the amazing last 10 minutes of Man Utd V Arsenal which was a pretty drab game that went mental in the final few minutes resultinmg in Alan Sunderland winner after Utd pulled 2 back in a couple of minutes.

My favourite rounds growing up were always the 3rd round and the semi final.

3rd round as anything could happen with any team involved.  And the semi final because it was always a massive occasion and the winner used to get their trip to Wembley if they won.  It was great to see Hillsbro/Villa Park/Old Trafford etc buzzing.

The Palace/Liverpool & Oldham/ManU semi final day was probably the best football viewing day you could wish for.  Had everything.

And the 86 final-Spurs/Coventry was the most exciting and entertaining final.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

The FA cup game v Arsenal 40 years ago FFS 

Probably never got really excited until the 5th round if you got that far. What will surprise anyone under 35 is that it was the competition, managers got sacked if they lost in the early rounds if it meant season over. Fact that replays were the week after, with postponements would often get confirmation of a game just that day. Remember one v Coventry where it got called off on the Saturday, sudden thaw with torrential rain and the game being played on the Monday night. 

The 1982-83 cup run to the semi against Brighton. Teenager at the time but still remember 5th round away at Cambridge with Meggo scoring two and I think one was a 30 yard screamer. Then away at Burnley for the QTR final. There were way too many of us on the away terrace down the side. Our tickets were in the Burnley end but the Police just pushed us straight into the away end ; used happen all the time in those days! Then most memorable of all though was the replay at Hillsborough, won 5-0 in front of 41,000 and completely blew Burnley away. That was as good as it got - magical night.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

The 1982-83 cup run to the semi against Brighton. Teenager at the time but still remember 5th round away at Cambridge with Meggo scoring two and I think one was a 30 yard screamer. Then away at Burnley for the QTR final. There were way too many of us on the away terrace down the side. Our tickets were in the Burnley end but the Police just pushed us straight into the away end ; used happen all the time in those days! Then most memorable of all though was the replay at Hillsborough, won 5-0 in front of 41,000 and completely blew Burnley away. That was as good as it got - magical night.

They closed the Kop about 15 minutes before KO if I recall

We ended up in the triangle on the Lepp

Just now, Gob_Bluth said:

One of my earliest memories was when I was around 7 and we replayed Everton what seemed about 5 times in around 87/88 ish each game was 1-1 until we got battered about 6-0 at Goodison

5-0 at Hillsbrough? By halftime.  I was talking to someone at work who said that their friend had visited from Canada and this was the first match they took them to.

Chapman scored in each of the 1-1 draws.  I remember the first one was a Saturday and the noise from the kop was unreal.  But then Peter Reid the little cheeky monkey man had to spoil it.