FA Cup - Mick on Talksport

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

The 0-0 draw at Hillsborough v MK Dons in 2013 in the third round will live long in the memory.

That was my only Saturday off for 3 months! God knows what i was thinking. 

We had a player on loan (i think Sidibe) completely useless. Got to the point where you just felt bad for him. 

Lost in the replay which i missed because of work (got to count your blessings). At the time i was living in Banbury so MK wasn't far. Luckily they have no fans so didn't get any stick. 

20 minutes ago, waynecoyne14 said:

losing away at wigan- the terraces were grassed i remember probably had had cattle on them ,

losing away at gillingham- nicky southall screamer

losing away to cambridge 4-0 i think first sight of dion dublin

oh and a good memory was beating wolves away with a late rodger wylde winner (circa 1976)

11 minutes ago, waynecoyne14 said:

oh and a good memory was beating wolves away with a late rodger wylde winner (circa 1976)

Except that was the League Cup (I was there)!

Non-Wednesday memories, my best ever one's (listening on radio then watching on MOTD) were Hereford dumping Newcastle out of the cup and a year or two before that Colchester going 3-0 up against Don Revie's Leeds Utd and holding on to win 3-2. Also George Best scoring six for Man Utd away at Northampton in an 8-2 win.

The Cup really was magical in those days and sadly the modern game has ruined it.

Best part of all was the replay system like our own marathon v Arsenal in '79.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Thanks 1

If you get a tough 3rd round draw at home you usually get the one stab at it but there are a few times that the converse is true.

Sheff Wed  2-2  Man Utd                  replay     Man Utd 2-7  Sheff Wed

Everton  2-2  Sheff Wed                   replay     Sheff Wed  0-3 Everton

Sheff Wed  1-1  Leeds                      replay     Leeds   1-3   Sheff Wed

Sheff Wed  1-1 Crystal Palace         replay     Palace 1-1 Sheff Wed  2nd  replay at Villa Park   Palace 2-3 Sheff Wed  after extra time 

Sheff Wed  1-1 Arsenal                    replay     Arsenal 1-1 Sheff Wed  2nd, 3rd & 4th replays all at Filbert St went  2-2 3-3 and finally Sheff Wed 0-2 Arsenal.

Our Cup run to Wembley deserves a mention for the fact that we never got a single home draw.In that run the game at Blackburn springs to mind; There had been heavy overnight snow this side of the Pennines and a similar mix of rain and snow in Blackburn. The game was in so much doubt that the gates were not opened until 2-45 and groundsmen were forking the pitch until the minute before kickoff. In all honesty the game should have been called but we won 2-1 to avenge our earlier semi-final defeat a few years earlier. The following year we were unlucky to fall at Stamford Bridge where we were knocked out by a very late goal. Astonishingly we took almost 22k fans to that game in a 52k crowd.

Our League Cup success caused a little consternation along the way. Disappointingly only managing a 1-1 draw at home to Derby but who amongst us will ever forget the 35 yard wonder strike from John Harkes that gave England keeper Shilton no chance.    

14 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Except that was the League Cup (I was there)!

Non-Wednesday memories, my best ever one's (listening on radio then watching on MOTD) were Hereford dumping Newcastle out of the cup and a year or two before that Colchester going 3-0 up against Don Revie's Leeds Utd and holding on to win 3-2. Also George Best scoring six for Man Utd away at Northampton in an 8-2 win.

The Cup really was magical in those days and sadly the modern game has ruined it.

Best part of all was the replay system like our own marathon v Arsenal in '79.

apologies utah :unsure:

another one just popped into my head, 2-0 up at stamford bridge and we lost 3-2, mickey droy scored 2, he was a big ugly fker

7 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

If you get a tough 3rd round draw at home you usually get the one stab at it but there are a few times that the converse is true.

Sheff Wed  2-2  Man Utd                  replay     Man Utd 2-7  Sheff Wed

Everton  2-2  Sheff Wed                   replay     Sheff Wed  0-3 Everton

Sheff Wed  1-1  Leeds                      replay     Leeds   1-3   Sheff Wed

Sheff Wed  1-1 Crystal Palace         replay     Palace 1-1 Sheff Wed  2nd  replay at Villa Park   Palace 2-3 Sheff Wed  after extra time 

Sheff Wed  1-1 Arsenal                    replay     Arsenal 1-1 Sheff Wed  2nd, 3rd & 4th replays all at Filbert St went  2-2 3-3 and finally Sheff Wed 0-2 Arsenal.

Our Cup run to Wembley deserves a mention for the fact that we never got a single home draw.In that run the game at Blackburn springs to mind; There had been heavy overnight snow this side of the Pennines and a similar mix of rain and snow in Blackburn. The game was in so much doubt that the gates were not opened until 2-45 and groundsmen were forking the pitch until the minute before kickoff. In all honesty the game should have been called but we won 2-1 to avenge our earlier semi-final defeat a few years earlier. The following year we were unlucky to fall at Stamford Bridge where we were knocked out by a very late goal. Astonishingly we took almost 22k fans to that game in a 52k crowd.

Our League Cup success caused a little consternation along the way. Disappointingly only managing a 1-1 draw at home to Derby but who amongst us will ever forget the 35 yard wonder strike from John Harkes that gave England keeper Shilton no chance.    

Those Everton games were in 1964-5.  I went to both.

Also it was Owls 1 Man U 1 before we won the 7-2 replay.  I was there(at Hillsbro).

Years later    Everton 1 Owls1.  Replay Owls 0 Everton 5.  Was 5-0 at half-time.  Graeme Sharpe hat-trick I think.

Edited by Lincs Owl

17 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Think we also needed a replay in the League Cup run in 1990-91 v Swindon.

Drawing 0-0 at Hillsborough and winning away 1-0 with a goal from Nigel Pearson.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Was before my time but this must have been a cracking match to have been at.
Dont think much of the pitch though. 

Most of 'em were like that then Matt. I think Chelsea used to need a gazillion tons of sand on theirs to make it somewhat playable. lol  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think we also needed a replay in the League Cup run in 1990-91 v Swindon.

Drawing 0-0 at Hillsborough and winning away 1-0 with a goal from Nigel Pearson.

Was 2 legs in them days in the early rounds.

I remember the quarter final away at Burnley before the epic Arsenal games. We couldn’t get tickets for the away end so my dad got us tickets on the Burnley kop (along with many other Owls fans). We were in our early teens then and what an eye opener that was!

There was scrapping from the moment we arrived and if I recall correctly the game was delayed to get the owls fans out of the home end and shoved (literally) onto the terrace with the other Wednesday fans.

Bob Bolder saved a penalty and we took them back to Hillsborough for the replay.

Happy Days

29 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Those Everton games were in 1964-5.  I went to both.

Also it was Owls 1 Man U 1 before we won the 7-2 replay.  I was there(at Hillsbro).

Years later    Everton 1 Owls1.  Replay Owls 0 Everton 5.  Was 5-0 at half-time.  Graeme Sharpe hat-trick I think.

The 5 nil was the 3rd replay.

Drawn at home 1 all

Next 2 replays away both 1 all again

Before the hammering at Hillsborough.

Wish we still had replay marathons

Edited by OWL1969

3 hours ago, Brommers said:

Just heard Mick on Talksport talking about the FA Cup and his memories. Great call and mentioned some of the obvious ones from years gone by, Waddle in semi V Pigs, Ronnie Radford, 5 matches V Arsenal (snowballing Jennings) etc.

Sure we can add some of our favourite Cup memories, don't have to include Wednesday. One of my earliest Cup memories was the amazing last 10 minutes of Man Utd V Arsenal which was a pretty drab game that went mental in the final few minutes resultinmg in Alan Sunderland winner after Utd pulled 2 back in a couple of minutes.

I meant to mention the proper draw as well not seeded and mucked about with so the big teams avoided each other 

I mentioned Charlie George lying full length on the pitch which if memory serves was the match Alan Sunderland scored in it was scorching hot that day i think and the players were dropping like flies with cramp 

I love 3rd round day 

16 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

The second round v Brentford was over 2 legs (Won both legs 2-1)

The third round tie v Swindon was only over 1 leg and replay if scores level.

Your correct

Strangely only Coventry and Man Utd, who we only played once.

• Like 1

I think it was the FA cup that made me a football fan 

1970 final Chelsea v Leeds i was 8 and could probably name both sides the Final itself was played on a Wembley Pitch that resembled the Somme mainly sand painted green because they'd allowed the horse of the year show on it the weekend before and was a rubbish game 

Peter Osgood was just about my favourite player at that time and scored in every round i believe but i had really no affinity with either side 

The replay was much better and was notable for the winning goal when Dave Webb headed the ball the keeper ( David Harvey i think ) and Jack Charlton into the net