Gary Hooper

I know most of this thread is bypassing my comment here, but i've kind of given up on Hooper.

Back in five weeks, might get 4 games out of him and that'll be him done then until his contract expires and he leaves.

Great player, but we just can't keep crocks on our books like this any more, we need to learn lessons.

Lee is a different matter, he was always free from injury until we killed him - but Hooper was a risk and one we didn't manage very well either.

Gary Hooper has averaged a goal every other game for us. However you dress it up that’s a really impressive strike rate.

Unfortunately having one of the best strikers in the league constantly in the treatment room does us no good whatsoever, especially on the wages he’ll be earning.

I’d love to see him back in the side and banging in the goals this season and next but unless he’s going to take a pay cut, I just don’t see the sense in offering a player with his injury record a new deal.

It’s a real shame.

46 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

I know most of this thread is bypassing my comment here, but i've kind of given up on Hooper.

Back in five weeks, might get 4 games out of him and that'll be him done then until his contract expires and he leaves.

Great player, but we just can't keep crocks on our books like this any more, we need to learn lessons.

Lee is a different matter, he was always free from injury until we killed him - but Hooper was a risk and one we didn't manage very well either.

During his time with us, Lee has regularly missed chunks of football through injury

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hopefully get him off the wage bill in the Summer.

People who think Lee, Hooper, Abdi are going to come back and fire us to the Play Offs are in cuckoo land.

We are 11 points off. Lets finish strong and start the rebuild for next season, without players like Hooper who spend more time injured than on the pitch (harsh but true)

Agree with that bar the harsh bit . They are a drain on resources, the sooner they are gone the better 

4 hours ago, Royal_D said:

With Hooper and Lee, there going to have to be very ‘realistic’ with there new contract demands 

Huge risk for anyone to take on either of them, Lee I think will stay at the club on reduced terms , Hooper is on huge wages so it’ll be interesting to see what happens he definitely needs to come back and play some football before this seasons over or for me he’s going to struggle to get anywhere near the kind of contracts he’s used to and probably rightly so 

I’m glad you aren’t running the club. If we offer lee any sort of deal , then chansiri really does need carting off to the funny farm 

Lee and Hooper will both leave in the summer.

Main reason being there high wage demands. We'll likely be under an embargo so if we need to make money to sign the 5 players we'll only be allowed to, high earners who are out of contract in the summer will be released. Which include Lee, Hooper, Abdi and Boyd. Probably Westwood too.

Cheaper options like Palmer and Matias will be kept due to it being more expensive to replace them and signing limitations.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

I’m glad you aren’t running the club. If we offer lee any sort of deal , then chansiri really does need carting off to the funny farm 

But you would also be saying cart him off to the funny house if he lets him wander off for free and he proves his fitness somewhere, this isn’t just a squad player when fit , this is one of the best central midfielders you will find at this level when fit

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

During his time with us, Lee has regularly missed chunks of football through injury

First season 26 appearances - but largely not picked.
second season 29 appearances - again missing games due to not being picked
third season 34 appearances
fourth season 52 appearances
fifth (2016/17) 28 appearances
sixth (2017/18) 15 appearances.

You are incorrect.   Until the CC era, he was fine.

Edited by Salmonbones

8 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hopefully get him off the wage bill in the Summer.

People who think Lee, Hooper, Abdi are going to come back and fire us to the Play Offs are in cuckoo land.

We are 11 points off. Lets finish strong and start the rebuild for next season, without players like Hooper who spend more time injured than on the pitch (harsh but true)

Abdi: I don't even consider him a Wednesday player.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

2 hours ago, Finney on the Wing said:

Weren't they the last words Jos said as Owls manager?

While there's still points to play for, there's a chance.

You need some of Lord Snooty's optimism.

fizz off, bye bye. 

Jos's last words to us:tango:

6 hours ago, Royal_D said:

But you would also be saying cart him off to the funny house if he lets him wander off for free and he proves his fitness somewhere, this isn’t just a squad player when fit , this is one of the best central midfielders you will find at this level when fit

Who’s  not been injury free for 2 and a half years . In that time he’s played a handful of games and is now in his 30s. Nobody in their right mind would offer him an extension. This whole looking into the past has to stop . We have a golden chance to clear out all the deadwood this summer, and as good as he once was, lee fits into the category 

16 hours ago, hawksmore said:

So you've said people deluded in one post before and now in 'cuckoo land' yet you've bleated on about form plenty yourself. 

Are you confused? If you genuinely think that having a fully fit Lee and Hooper back in the team will not improve us and be the difference between lower mid table and pushing for the play off's, then it is you who is deluded. Both players are exceptional at this level, fully fit they had so much to the team that we have been missing. 

Whether you agree or not, we look stable and solid, we look more likely to create chances and that's just in the last 4 games, there are maybe 3-4 teams above us who we should fear playing, the rest are nothing special and we can beat them all, especially with the likes of Lee & Hooper fit. Our form between now and the end of the season will be top 6 worthy, of that i am sure. Whether it's good enough to close the gap, well that depends on how other teams perform, but it is very open.9 

Fair comment o Abdi though, not going to debate that point. 

Not really what Sally was saying though is it. 

Sally is saying there's no chance they will be fit enough, not that they aren't good enough