You could drive a bus through there

Guest Grez Bez
Just now, SouthernOwl24 said:

If I was manager I would honestly make the players watch it back 

They do all watch it back with the analysts providing feedback. This makes it even more surprising that we remain bobbar

46 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

They do all watch it back with the analysts providing feedback. This makes it even more surprising that we remain bobbar

Should have said 'When they watch it back he should fine for every time out of position'.

I get this wont happen but it should. Why should we be paying full price to watch 50% effort

Really good post, and those pictures are  damning pieces of evidence highlighting our defensive structure, or lack of.

In all the hyperbole and hysteria of the last few days, justified and to be expected given the circumstances, why have the players got off so lightly ?

Jos has said recently that formations mean nothing, and that he is trying to get the players to be autonomous during a match, to make their own decisions and work on the fly I suppose you could say. In that, I agree with him to a certain extent.

Players can and should adapt to what they are seeing in front of them, but we do not seem to have that leader, or organiser who directs things on the pitch.

We are a reactive side, not proactive, and whilst Jos is the main target for abuse and criticism, surely the players need to be subject to the same amount of scrutiny that the manager is under, as it is they who go out on the pitch, not the manager.

As many posters have identified, watching your team bust a gut and try to win a game, which may ultimately fail, would garner more appreciation, than the lacklustre, mediocre, plodding football we are producing, which will never ever get the supporters onside.

Have just been in garage and found ‘em, next time I go darn Herries Road to a match am tekin me boots...I’m 62 but I bet I can still defend better than that shower of shyte we witnessed on Sat’dy. Oh wait...forgot I live in Cornwall. Perhaps I could try long distance hypnotism on the aforementioned S.o.S., it wouldn’t take much as they seem to spend most of their time staring fixedly at the piggin ball:mad: 

When a fan can work out what's going wrong, and the manager is still trying to do so, you know you've signed a prize plum.

The fact he has a novelty tache doesn't get him off the hook.

Someone needs to explain the concerns to the owner next time he peers above the trenches

• Haha 1

Been like this for a long time, without loovens, Hutch and Westwood were rudderless, there's no real leaders organising the bodies around them and as such they wander around like lemmings. Add to this jos the rotator making 5/ 6 changes every week along with his obligatory changing the formation every game and at least once possibly twice during the game and its a recipe for disaster. No cohesion, no teamwork, nobody automatically knows where other players are going to be as they receive the ball for a quick lay off. 

The movement is shocking as players invariably revert to normal runs and positioning. 

To be brutally honest it's a complete shambles, I've been to tournaments when the ex missus Was playing for Ossett Town ladies and the under 9s have been playing, so I've had a watch and natter with a couple of old mates who's lads are in them and they were far more organised and as a unit than £10/20,000+ p/w so called professionals, if it wasn't us it would be laughable. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

I used to be anti as far as asking for the manager to be sacked was concerned, I hated it. So the fact that I am for this pillock to be shown the door should speak volumes.

Get him sacked now. 

SOS - Save Our Season

Edited by theowlsman

1 hour ago, hugeowl said:

The alarming thing in the clips is apart from a brief appearance  from Reach  there are no other forwards or midfielders getting back its just down to the defenders and Peupessey and Bannan 

Yes, that's the problem. We play something like 4-2-4 (well, 4-2-3-1) but with the front 4 having no responsibility for defending so the two midfielders and the two full-backs are being asked to do an impossible job.

The upside of keeping 4 players up front is that we should catch teams on the break but we never get the ball forward fast enough. 

Like I've said, Jos thinks the front 4 are pressing their back line. We're playing a high-press formation but not actually doing any pressing. One ball out from the back takes them all out of the picture (literally) and then we're defending with just 6 players. He needs to learn that the success of a high press depends on being coached how to do it well, as a unit, with very energetic players and a high back line too so the gaps aren't too big. It's not a high press just because he's got bodies up the field.

Great analysis, we've heard rumours the players are unsure about the system as formation and personnel changes about so much. 

We just need a strong coach who has a plan A and plan B, has the players motivated and well drilled, and can let the flair players flourish. 

Jos needs to go and enjoy his retirement and leave Wednesday to the difficult job of trying to save our season. 

• Thanks 1

Missed the bit about Bannan's role in the 4th. I've no idea if he switched off or got lazy but he was as culpable as anyone for the 4th, made it too easy for them 

Said all this in the thread I created.

If we can see what's the problem, then why can't Jos? What do the do in training? It's not happening on pitch so either Jos doesn't have a clue or players don't listen.

Either way he's got to go and take Palmer with him!

Edited by jonnyowl

10 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Yes, that's the problem. We play something like 4-2-4 (well, 4-2-3-1) but with the front 4 having no responsibility for defending so the two midfielders and the two full-backs are being asked to do an impossible job.

The upside of keeping 4 players up front is that we should catch teams on the break but we never get the ball forward fast enough. 

Like I've said, Jos thinks the front 4 are pressing their back line. We're playing a high-press formation but not actually doing any pressing. One ball out from the back takes them all out of the picture (literally) and then we're defending with just 6 players. He needs to learn that the success of a high press depends on being coached how to do it well, as a unit, with very energetic players and a high back line too so the gaps aren't too big. It's not a high press just because he's got bodies up the field.

We know that Jos has set us up to defend from the front before so I refuse to believe he cant see it now .

Dont know what is going on . but its very worrying the lack of discipline on the park , we will get stuffed by every team in the league if we play like we did last Saturday .

Defenders are supposed to DEFEND

Attackers are supposed to ATTACK

Midfielders are the link between the two.

We are blaming Palmer in the same way we blamed Buxton. Either he's an attacker or a defender. He cannot be expected to both at the same time. If he goes forward , someone should slip in behind to cover.

Watching the shots, one thing has become obvious.The man we are missing more than anyone is Glenn Loovens!

When we got rid of Loovens, I for one agreed that he was getting too slow for the game. Unfortunately, he, or his type of player, has never been replaced! I may be old-fashioned in my thinking, but every one of those goals came from the area that would have been  covered by what used to be called the CENTRE HALF. This was the position that every good team was built around.. It's no good expecting Dawson to govern the defence.. That comes only through experience..A good centre half is essential. He's the rock on which the defence is built.

When it comes out that a relatively young, inexperienced goalkeeper is voted PoM it sys a lot about him. BUT it says far more, and not complimentary, about those in front of him.

I think just as Carlos was never able to get us attacking well, i think Jos could be undone by not being able to sort out our defensive shape. Personally i would drop Hector and go Baker, Lees, Thorniley and Penney along a back 4. I would sit Onomah and Pelupessey in front of the back line and put Bannan in front of them. Reach left, Matias right and Joao,Fletcher or Fessi up top. The back 3 is not working and i think the good promising defenders are actually the best options long term (baker better than palmer, thorniley better than hector, Penney better than Pudil and Fox) so play them in a defensive shape and let them learn. I have stuck up for Jos changing things around, but with the current defence we need stability and to improve, i can see Thorniley, Baker and Penney improving with experience and doing a better job. With Hector, Pudil, Fox and Palmer, They are options and Hector has shown he can be good, but he is on loan so i think try and give Thorniley time. They need protection from midfield and that is why i would putting 2 holding midfielders in place and give Bannan more of a free role to go forward as he is our best player, with Matias and Reach making runs from the wings i think we would be more solid and have the ability to counter as well. If Jos can't solve the defence by christmas he might be gone. I hope he does solve it and we get some wins in next 3 weeks. Because i will be sat in the cold watching and i don't want to be worried about dropping to dog and duck league.