You could drive a bus through there

Guest Bulgaria

Get yer application in Dave.

You live close by, you can spot the obvious and coming from Rivelin you would surely accept a clapped out old ford fiesta for a company car?

44 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

This game showed why we are conceding so many goals. Look at the goals from yesterday.

Goal 11865535602_2attheback1.2.thumb.png.81c1e648ab256957b3826c2cea35e0ff.pngPalmer has been caught upfield. But no-one has slotted in to cover for him.

Conway runs unhindered. No-one puts in a challenge. He slips it to Dack.

When Dack shoots (above) we are wide open on both flanks. Thormiley has come inside leaving Graham free and Palmer isn’t exactly busting a gut to get back. Dack shoots, Graham scores.

Goal 2

1807510007_2attheback2.2.thumb.png.f1e4fa1611fb9912f342cf434874a915.pngThere’s no pressure on the player with the ball

There’s a huge gap in front of our back 4. Isn’t it Pelupessy’s job to plug that hole?

There’s a huge gap behind Palmer who’s been caught upfield again

There’s a huge gap behind Thorniley so both full backs are so far out of position that it’s 3 against 2. A flat back 2!

Graham runs in behind one full-back and passes it to Dack who’s behind the other full-back. Easy goal.

Goal 3

611485779_2attheback3.1.thumb.png.d2643d46f3ffcea60b01cde36f4ef2cd.pngDack runs at goal with nobody near him and a huge space in front of him because the centre-halves look like they’re getting out of the way

Palmer has been caught upfield (sound familiar) so there’s a huge gap in the right-back slot.

By the time Dack has his shot, Palmer is getting close to Graham but he carries on sauntering so Graham is miles from him by the time he scores.

Goal 41456903571_2attheback4.1.thumb.png.bfcb00ede7c0368bdf1f9ee62a0f6004.pngOMG look at that hole in front of the back 4.

1764907997_2attheback4.2.thumb.png.7c85be3638aa8696b4cbc36354bf1238.png

Moments later there’s still a huge hole. The player on the ball has no-one within 10 yards of him. But at least this time Palmer is in the right-back spot and is close enough to mark Graham822199848_2attheback4.3.thumb.png.754b0b33a5e2cd2505e3723ecef28a43.pngNot any more! Dack slips it to Graham who is completely unmarked.

Issues:

Huge spaces behind the full-backs. Palmer needs to look at his contribution to all 4 goals. It’s one thing to be caught upfield, it will happen to all full-backs. But it’s another to have no desire to get back in position. It’s like he just doesn’t care. I love Thorniley but he’s not a full-back. He has a tendency to go back to his centre-half position and leave a space where the left back should be. But then neither full-back got any help from those in front of them.

Huge spaces in front of the back 4. I’ve always defended Pelupessy; he might be limited but he does get about and chase down balls. But oh dear this really shows that he’s actually offering no cover to those behind him. But it’s not down to one man. With Fletch up front we still have 5 people who should be making a wall in front of the back 4

No pressure on the man with the ball. As above. That should be what Pelupessy is doing but also what should be happening as a midfield unit.

The obvious scapegoats here are Palmer (and Thorniley) and Pelupessy (and Bannan) but really the problems are all about shape and formation. This seems to be the opposite of a well-coached side. There seems to be no evidence that Jos ever says ‘If he goes there, you have to go there’. Either that or the players just can’t be xxsed to help each other out.

It’s as if Jos thinks we are playing a high-pressing game. He throws bodies forward to chase the ball but none of them get anywhere near it and just get by-passed leaving no cover for the defence. A high press without anyone actually doing any pressing.

Tactically this has to be the least organised side I've ever seen. I don't think Jos has a clue.

Very good post. 

This happens most matches too.

Why can’t Jos see this? Or why can’t he do anything about it?

48 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

The book stops with the manger for me with regards defending. The gaps are huge and this is a manager renowned for his defensive discipline. Well his teams don’t attack much do they and they cannot defend either. Absolute embarrassment. 

I suspect he’s having a go at putting on an attacking approach  to see if the team can deliver. He knows that’s what the crowd want. 

He may have to go back to three centre backs and two wing backs who are mainly defensive , to cut back on goals conceded, as we do not have the cutting edge up front to turn possession into goals.

I also believe he needs to get Penney back to being the left wing back.

5 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Great post.

When a full back is caught up field the CDM should cover for me (Pelupessy)

The full back should also make the utmost effort to get back. If Palmer had done that on all four occasions we wouldn’t have conceded four goals.

I try not to criticise players especially when they make mistakes but I will criticise when there is a lack of effort and/or desire. I’ve see this many times with Palmer and I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s a lazy player. I might also add that I don’t think he’s the only one.

Edited by Wakefield owl

1 hour ago, Sticky belly said:

The book stops with the manger for me with regards defending. The gaps are huge and this is a manager renowned for his defensive discipline. Well his teams don’t attack much do they and they cannot defend either. Absolute embarrassment. 

book? 

Guest Grez Bez
3 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

The full back should also make the utmost effort to get back. If Palmer had done that on all four occasions we wouldn’t have conceded four goals.

Agreed. Can't remember exactly if he was half arsing it or not.

Either way there needs to be cover there