To the Jos supporters

2 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Okay look at Villa, Leeds, Derby and Qpr since they changed theres all seem to have had a change of fortune.

Do you think we should stick with jos then?

Picking singular examples (either way) proves nothing. It's like having an argument about whether it's always day or always night. A few years ago a more scientific study was done which indicated that there was often a brief upturn after the change but things usually returned fairly quickly to much the same as they had been before. Just look at our history since we were relegated from the Premier League 18 years ago. There have been a few significant ups and downs along the way, but the broad pattern for much of that lengthy period is us being consistently in the bottom half of the second tier.

1 hour ago, AwokenGiant said:

Thought we played really well on Saturday against a good Derby team and got nothing, played alot worse tonight and won - funny old game football. 

That's stretching it a bit. We started really well, deserved to be in front and were unlucky to concede the 1st goal Dervy scored but from then on we were all over the place first half. Gave it a go 2nd half but it wasn't a really good performance.

Tonight was a difficult watch but we got a much needed 3 points, wouldn't say it was down to an astute tactical approach by any means though.

Just now, DJMortimer said:

Picking singular examples (either way) proves nothing. It's like having an argument about whether it's always day or always night. A few years ago a more scientific study was done which indicated that there was often a brief upturn after the change but things usually returned fairly quickly to much the same as they had been before. Just look at our history since we were relegated from the Premier League 18 years ago. There have been a few significant ups and downs along the way, but the broad pattern for much of that lengthy period is us being consistently in the bottom half of the second tier.

Shall we stick with jos then ? Yes or no ?

3 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

Either that or we appoint next manager and guarentee him 3 seasons to get his team together. 

Swapping and changing has got us absolutely nowhere over the last 20years so why keep doing the same thing over and over again?

Never mind last 20 years we had all sorts of financial issues ...now at least we can hire decent quality, gave carlos nearly 3 seasons and it ran out of steam ...quick fix with jos nearly 1 year into it and if we dont act we could be in a spot of bother ...id call that proactive if he got the chop now ....but I agree with that we must male sure the next one should be carefully considered.

I’m ambivalent under the same regime. What’s the point.

What would change - I mean, really change?

Just shuffling deck chairs seems pointless to me - without an honest mission statement to go with it.

1 minute ago, ReadingOwl said:

I’m ambivalent under the same regime. What’s the point.

What would change - I mean, really change?

Just shuffling deck chairs seems pointless to me - without an honest mission statement to go with it.

Agree.

For now, yes. I'm not going to waste time explaining that because nothing I post will prevent it from being misrepresented as some kind of unconditional cheer-leading by some. So grab your forks and light your torches everybody. :biggrin:

But Reading Owl summed it up above. It's easy to shout for the manager to be replaced on a regular basis, but he is only one part of the problem. Without addressing the other factors the results will probably be minimal.

I'm wondering if Chansiri is hoping he can stick with Luhukay for a while because he knows any replacement will be unable to bring about the major change in structure and strategy that is needed at many levels. Once the financial restrictions are more manageable he may then be ready to bring in someone of a higher pedigree, like when we brought in Ron Atkinson all those years ago. Here's hoping anyway.

Might be interesting to look at a comparison with Norwich City under Farke, from last season to this.

Last season, Norwich were, despite having one of the best players in the division in Maddison, a poor side and their fans were wanting shut of Farke.

A few months later, minus Maddison and plus some shrewd & relatively cheap signings, and they are flying. What a turnaround! 

5 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

Clean sheet, 3 points against tough opposition at a canter.....

Blokes like Jos never lose their touch....

One day we will all dance with him...

large.5abe5c1745a11_JosLuhukay.gif.8cba9

Yes, and one day we'll see Terry Henfleet walk on the moon and plant an Owls flag there. lol

Edited by Athelwulf

8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

For now, yes. I'm not going to waste time explaining that because nothing I post will prevent it from being misrepresented as some kind of unconditional cheer-leading by some. So grab your forks and light your torches everybody. :biggrin:

But Reading Owl summed it up above. It's easy to shout for the manager to be replaced on a regular basis, but he is only one part of the problem. Without addressing the other factors the results will probably be minimal.

I'm wondering if Chansiri is hoping he can stick with Luhukay for a while because he knows any replacement will be unable to bring about the major change in structure and strategy that is needed at many levels. Once the financial restrictions are more manageable he may then be ready to bring in someone of a higher pedigree, like when we brought in Ron Atkinson all those years ago. Here's hoping anyway.

Agree with a lot of that , but i simply refuse to believe that there are no cut price options who could do a much better job in the short term until the financial wheel turns our way again than this current spineless patsy.

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

Agree with a lot of that , but i simply refuse to believe that there are no cut price options who could do a much better job in the short term until the financial wheel turns our way again than this current spineless patsy.

I am not sure that "spineless" is an accurate description of Jos. Perhaps awkward and obstinate maybe more accurate. He appears to me like a man that has a remit and he is going to stick to it regardless of how anyone else feels and come what may. I would guess that he initially flirted with the idea of getting into the play-offs. Now he appears resolute about just scraping enough points together to stay in the division.

This season is undoubtedly rolling out as like a dose of toothache. Something that hurts like feck but you just live with it until it goes away. I guess 7 points would be a decent target for the games against Bolton, Blackburn and Rotherham. Three points are in the bag. Just live with the performance and see if we can get at least four points from the other two fixtures in that list.

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

I am not sure that "spineless" is an accurate description of Jos. Perhaps awkward and obstinate maybe more accurate. He appears to me like a man that has a remit and he is going to stick to it regardless of how anyone else feels and come what may. I would guess that he initially flirted with the idea of getting into the play-offs. Now he appears resolute about just scraping enough points together to stay in the division.

This season is undoubtedly rolling out as like a dose of toothache. Something that hurts like feck but you just live with it until it goes away. I guess 7 points would be a decent target for the games against Bolton, Blackburn and Rotherham. Three points are in the bag. Just live with the performance and see if we can get at least four points from the other two fixtures in that list.

(4 months into a transfer embargo)

Reporter ; Are you under a transfer embargo ?

Jos ; I don`t know

On 25/11/2018 at 18:10, ReadingOwl said:

When the Titantic was sinking, changing the Captain wouldn’t have made one appeth of difference.

I’m ambivalent towards the current manager - but without autonomy and a clean sheet, a new manager is pointless.

Some of you are suggesting quick solutions - there aren’t any.

Yes but a good captain wouldn't have hit the iceberg in the first place!

3 hours ago, RevOwl said:

Yes but a good captain wouldn't have hit the iceberg in the first place!

The captain of the Titanic was off duty and in bed when the ship was approaching the iceberg. Would have been quite a feat for him to have avoided the iceberg by himself in those circumstances. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

It is a clear indication of just how godawful we were that the Jos backers aren`t nearly so vociferous...............they seem to have changed tack and are using the old gallows humour to disguise the harsh reality.

Still.............if you didnt laugh etc.

Im still backing Jos because i dont see another alternative solution thats any better

• Thanks 1

Jos is a poor manager end of. Just how long Chansiri waits until he gets rid of the shambolic appointment. Hopefully the next manager will have actually seen a game in England before we offer him the job.

Last night Bolton worked very hard to look worse than us! Some how they just managed it. Will the other 22 clubs do this? NOPE

Change while there are there possibilities of wait like last time until nobody is available. Simples

10 hours ago, ashley8 said:

Jos is a poor manager end of. Just how long Chansiri waits until he gets rid of the shambolic appointment. Hopefully the next manager will have actually seen a game in England before we offer him the job.

Last night Bolton worked very hard to look worse than us! Some how they just managed it. Will the other 22 clubs do this? NOPE

Change while there are there possibilities of wait like last time until nobody is available. Simples

Won't make a difference. They'll still have to work with the same players