Bannan last niight

4 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

As Keith Andrews said, Bannan is being asked to be a defensive midfielder and I think it’s effecting his game. Really he needs to be alongside a powerhouse unit or two, so that he can focus more on being further up the pitch 

Nail ont ed. We've needed that since before the play off final-the powerhouse midfielder I mean.

2 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Spot on LLP

I think some on here need to look at how good the pigs are this season 

Bannan was immense 2nd half must have covered every blade of grass in an effort to secure a point 

He's a good player.

When he did his only trick last night they were onto him.

He's marvelous when he can get his foot on the ball and have time to pick a pass... last night wasn't the game for him.

I was particularly displeased when he couldn't find a man for twenty minutes then made wild gesticulations toward Penney ? for doing not much wrong.

He's good in a good team....the rest is beyond his skillset. He could learn a lesson from Hector in that you get the job done without drawing attention to yourself imo.

Could have been the soft target baker...a good reason why he'll never be a captain of any club he'll play at.

Edited by Costello 77

5 hours ago, Finney on the Wing said:

Just said in another thread that, if you look back at Carlos' first season and the excellent pass and move game we played

there's only Bannan that's really left regularly playing. Forestieri, Hooper, Lee, Wallace, Hunt and Pudil were all integral to

the quality football we were playing back then. Until we get the likes of the first three back (plus Matias, maybe) the style of

football may not be the best to watch but if it get's us points and some momentum, then so be it.

Have to agree. He still seems to be trying to play that quick pass and move style, but no-one around him is on the same wavelength.

We just don't have players who are getting into space and anticipating his flicks like we did under Carlos.

I think he needs to to put his foot on the ball a bit more, take a bit of time, look up and pick out his passes.

7 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

You can't win sometimes. There's been a lot of criticism of the players recently, suggestions that they're disinterested and not sufficiently motivated. So it's good that Bazza actually recognised the importance of last nights fixture.

To be honest, I don't think the way we set out to play yesterday was ever going to suit his strengths.

Should be motivated for every match. Paid enough. End of!

3 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

He's a good player.

When he did his only trick last night they were onto him.

He's marvelous when he can get his foot on the ball and have time to pick a pass... last night wasn't the game for him.

I was particularly displeased when he couldn't find a man for twenty minutes then made wild gesticulations toward Penney ? for doing not much wrong.

He's good in a good team....the rest is beyond his skillset. He could learn a lesson from Hector in that you get the job done without drawing attention to yourself imo.

Could have been the soft target baker...a good reason why he'll never be a captain of any club he'll play at.

I spotted that. It was Baker I think. 

You are right of course. He shouldn’t be balling-out kids, but I have noticed his frustration rising this season and last. Hardly surprising given that he is a class above most of the team, but nonetheless it’s out of order.

Difficult to maintain stellar performances every game unless everyone else is also at the top of their games / on the same wavelength.

Bannan puts the ball where the runners should be. Often, they haven’t thought about moving yet.

Edited by theowlsman

8 hours ago, Lee Strafford said:

Most of his passing resulted in us losing possession with far too many bad passes in our half, think he lost his head last night......too wound up. 

Have to wonder if that collective mental energy, which Bannan was part of,  is what underpinned the defensive focus though.......

I think we can forgive him one off game considering his performances so far this season. 

23 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

Entitled to your own opinion mate but come off it. Bannan was poor. We had little possession for Joey or Penney to do anything with. Wouldn't call that anonymous at all

In my post ineffective was used as a synonym for poor.  

We had little possession because our midfield was non-existent.  That is why they were anonymous.  Apart from that, you're absolutely spot on.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Can't believe you're not allowed to point out when a player had an ineffective game.  Which is exactly what Bannan had last night.   Having said that Penney and Pelupessy were anonymous.  

Even my missus (who is a big Bannan fan) said he needs to be taken off. I was about to argue the point with her that he may be playing crap but he has a positive influence on those around him. Then I thought better of it, been up that f---in cul de sac before.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Bannan puts the ball where the runners should be. Often, they haven’t thought about moving yet.

Or have been told not to move and maintain shape.

In a defensive set up we rely on his boundless energy whilst limiting his full capabilities.

United always had an option or two even in their own defensive third but especially in our full back positions and gave the impression they always had an extra man.

Without Lee and FF, we just don't currently have anyone who matches his work rate or instinct to make progress up the pitch.

United have that down both flanks and through the middle with Fleck and Duffy ably supported by CBs who are comfortable operating where our central midfielders would expect to be.

All for playing kids and assimilating 1 or 2 into the side each season is about the limit IMO in an ideal world, expecting 4 or 5 out of 11 to form a convincing side puts immense pressure on the experienced players.  It's not hard to understand that Lees, Bannan, Reach and Fletchers form has also taken a hit.

I have to say that whilst Bannan and Fletcher were disappointed several times last night that some of the youngsters didn't do what comes naturally with experience, they made a point of still encouraging them once the danger had subsided.

They are the true professionals and the blame IMO in having to play half a side of inexperienced kids lies firmly at the door of who allowed the club to get itself into this state and the position of acquiring and retaining so many players on cliff edge contracts....

If we had a few more with Bannans ability we’d be fine. 

The problem last night was that when he got the ball, he had no where to go, and had to resort to Hollywood balls. Fletcher was marked by 2 lumps, Reach doesn’t like getting wet, Penney hid and Pellupessy would just give him the ball back. 

Jos should have brought Joao on early 2nd half, and played the game more in their half. 

8 minutes ago, vulva said:

If we had a few more with Bannans ability we’d be fine. 

The problem last night was that when he got the ball, he had no where to go, and had to resort to Hollywood balls. Fletcher was marked by 2 lumps, Reach doesn’t like getting wet, Penney hid and Pellupessy would just give him the ball back. 

Jos should have brought Joao on early 2nd half, and played the game more in their half. 

Exactly. The only bloody option we had, or went for, was the long ball to Fletcher. Even when he was an unrealistic target we’d still try and ping it out to him because we had absolutely no idea what else to do 

It was clear as day that we were ridiculously lacking in confidence, in fact I’ve rarely seen a side look so hesitant. It wasn’t nice to see however it’s a sign of the times

Matias returning gives us an outlet but I’m resigned to the fact he’ll no doubt pick up another knock in the next couple weeks. Winnall? no timeframe on his return, FF? probably sometime over the next couple weeks but see Matias. Hooper? Lee? Forget it. 

I fear for us I really do. Most of the worst stats across the league we hold, and I can’t see anything changing soon