Wednesday - V - L**ds United (OMDT thingy)

They looked a good side tonight, but a good performance from us in terms of battling for a point. Sometimes difficult to impose our quality but we fought until the last whistle, which is what we would all expect and while not particularly ecstatic, content with a point.

Great goal by Reach and a couple of other decent efforts making their GK work. For all their possession didn't really think they threatened to the extent Sky were suggesting, had a lot of the ball but we defended well.

Only minor gripe is Sky, since when was touches in opposition box a thing, or was it dreamt up because it flattered Leeds? 

5 minutes ago, Treborowl said:

They usually run out of steam towards the end of the season. Maybe not this year?

Definition of insanity is repeating same action over and over again and expecting different results.  Their manager has long track record of it happening over and over again.  They will be top 6 but not top two and would not fancy them in play offs after long season of putting that effort in week after week in this league

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl
Missed spelling

2 minutes ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

I though our lads played with their back to goal alot, it was mainly our forwards that seemed to go down. No support due to lack of movement for me, can see your point tho, but don't think muscle in the middle was the issue, more lack of link up play, so back to the defender with no where to go, they go down.

Problem is, when you’re getting outfought it’s very difficult to have the confidence and composure to play. They had us on the run for virtually the whole game, so it’s understandable we struggled to play our game. Basically they won the right to play.

Think my mate was right with what he said about Leeds: 

"They look like a team who will ultimately finish in the playoffs, not the top 2." 

Lack of depth might count against them as the season progresses. 

Still - they were very good tonight. 

1 hour ago, ReadingOwl said:

Also, and I’m probably telling something that you already know - but there is only three Ridings.

No South. Somert to do with Vikings (Norse was thriddings - meaning 3) The Vikings split Yorkshire into 3.

Yes I knew that....and still got it wrong WTF:

Just now, SiJ said:

Think my mate was right with what he said about Leeds: 

"They look like a team who will ultimately finish in the playoffs, not the top 2." 

Lack of depth might count against them as the season progresses. 

Still - they were very good tonight. 

A good analogy to how belsia's sides play is how Rodger Black used to run 400m go hard as possible for first 300 and hope to get enough of a lead to hang on up straight.

Leeds going for it but not getting enough of a lead (one won in 5). Will catch up on them later on after Xmas

Just now, East Yorks Owl said:

Problem is, when you’re getting outfought it’s very difficult to have the confidence and composure to play. They had us on the run for virtually the whole game, so it’s understandable we struggled to play our game. Basically they won the right to play.

Defo, our play was forced alot. The only reason they didn't win is themselves. They are wasteful, and teams in this division can punish that, even on the ropes. 

Most confused I have ever been at a football match. 

We defend from start to finish, Dawson didn’t get the hint after his 4th attempt, Dawson stop laying on the ball and trying to defend a point at home, do we have a centre midfield ?, just like stoke bannan just in front of the back lot which leaves us short on the centre of the pitch, ff falling down every challenge... today was terrible. 

Annoying thing is leeds werent that great, we could have gone for it today. We seem to be the only team to play with full backs to play defensively and not attack. 

No second ball, no outlet. 

Edited by Mardy Bum

5 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Leeds were good tonight but we made them look good we didnt work them enough and let them dictate much of the play and impose there game on us.

We played too many long balls straight down there throats and they kept comming back,we didnt work the channels enough to force them back.

Preferred it when we played the long ball game tonight, was much more nervous when we attempted to play from the back. The long ball game gets frowned upon too much sometimes imo, Leicester won the prem utalising the long ball game when needed against certain teams. 

23 minutes ago, Mardy Bum said:

We defend from start to finish, Dawson didn’t get the hint after his 4th attempt, Dawson stop laying on the ball and trying to defend a point at home, do we have a centre midfield ?, just like stoke bannan just in front of the back lot which leaves us short on the centre of the pitch, ff falling down every challenge... today was terrible. 

Annoying thing is leeds werent that great, we could have gone for it today. We seem to be the only team to play with full backs to play defensively and not attack. 

They battered us 2nd half 

25 minutes ago, Mardy Bum said:

Honestly thought Leeds were very good

29 minutes ago, Mardy Bum said:

Opinions and all that,but that first 20/25 minutes was all a bit samey,samey,they then took control and never let it go,pretty impressive to see an opposing team do that on our own patch.

37 minutes ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

Preferred it when we played the long ball game tonight, was much more nervous when we attempted to play from the back. The long ball game gets frowned upon too much sometimes imo, Leicester won the prem utalising the long ball game when needed against certain teams. 

Nowt wrong with a decent ball over the top & pacey foreward chasing it down,alas fletch isnt pacey and ours didnt stick uptop,we had noboddy making runs out of the middle to support fletch,he was isolated uptop mostly.

Had we have got down the flanks and in behind them,there widemen would have had to track back and wed have the upper hand in the middle,as it was,they pressed us back because we played so narrow through the centre,it was all to predictable and no one from our MF made penetrating runs,as in the villa game

2 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Nowt wrong with a decent ball over the top & pacey foreward chasing it down,alas fletch isnt pacey and ours didnt stick uptop,we had noboddy making runs out of the middle to support fletch,he was isolated uptop mostly.

Had we have got down the flanks and in behind them,there widemen would have had to track back and wed have the upper hand in the middle,as it was,they pressed us back because we played so narrow through the centre,it was all to predictable and no one from our MF made penetrating runs,as in the villa game

Defo, Fletcher can play in the long ball system if he's got support as he can flick it on, but they pressed us very well and he was isolated. I'm guessing that was the idea with Nuihu and João at the end, for the big man to flick them on.

A battling and very fortunate point. I'm pleased with our level of commitment - there was a hell of a lot of last-ditch defending required to keep us in that game. It was a worrying performance in that we had no control of the midfield, but we have to remember that we were up against a very good Leeds side. Bielsa's plan to press us off the ball worked perfectly, they just couldn't stick the ball in the net.

We didn't cave, we stuck at it despite having to switch systems and suffering an injury early in the second half. I'm far from downhearted after that. Leeds look a very good side but their season is all about whether they can maintain that intensity with tired legs at the end of the season, we knew they'd start fast.

• Like 1