Wednesday - V - L**ds United (OMDT thingy)

What tonight showed is we are very much a work in progress. 

Hopefully, we will start to find a bit more consistency (performance and result wise) as the season progresses...or we may just end up being a mid-table/lower top half team. 

3 minutes ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

Agree there, they were relentless in the middle of the park. Our boys looked shell shocked at times. I do personally feel we lack defensive players who can play the ball well enough at times. We were given a lesson in how to play from the back today. Fortunately for us, they lacked a ruthless streak. 

Baker isn’t ready just yet for me and Dawson doesn’t fill me with confidence also can we get a settled defence it seems to swop and change too much . Thought Fessi was class but he didn’t help enough off the ball 

3 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

They didn’t allow our defence any time on the ball so had to resort to hoof ball for much of the game. We certainly need a bit more muscle and energy in the middle of the park when we play them at their place.

They did press us very very well, don't feel were were ever out muscled but we did lack energy in the middle, hutch would have been perfect for tonight. They aren't a particular kick the crap out of you in the middle team, they play the ball around brilliantly. We are very poor at passing from the back imo, which is why I think they pressed our defence like they did. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

An very good side.

And I think we sometimes forget that happens in football... You play teams that are better than you. 

We've done that tonight. ..and still got a point.

I'll take that in the bigger picture of the season. 

Maybe I expected more from us after the way we dealt with villa at theirs 

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Baker isn’t ready just yet for me and Dawson doesn’t fill me with confidence also can we get a settled defence it seems to swop and change too much . Thought Fessi was class but he didn’t help enough off the ball 

Agree with that, but Dawson doesn't not fill me with confidence, we play a certain way when he plays, he comes for the punch alot, which wasn't really suited for today. As they fly forward and picked up near enough ever short clearance. 

Just now, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

They did press us very very well, don't feel were were ever out muscled but we did lack energy in the middle, hutch would have been perfect for tonight. They aren't a particular kick the crap out of you in the middle team, they play the ball around brilliantly. We are very poor at passing from the back imo, which is why I think they pressed our defence like they did. 

It's their style to press like that .. their manager is known for it ... He is also known for his team's running out of stream in 2nd half of season just can't keep that intensify up for 46 games.  Without that they lack quality up from.. thank God as if they had it they would have battered us

Just now, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

I thought the clearest indication we were getting outmuscled was how easily we were going to ground in the hope we’d get a free kick. I can’t recall too much occasions when any of their players went down looking for a free kick. Still the boys stuck at it and that point could prove handy at the end of the season.

Just now, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

It's their style to press like that .. their manager is known for it ... He is also known for his team's running out of stream in 2nd half of season just can't keep that intensify up for 46 games.  Without that they lack quality up from.. thank God as if they had it they would have battered us

Very much like United last season

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Strong..fit and well organised.

They're hard too.

They've got good technical ability.

They had a few out as well.

I'd say they're going up..we did bloody well to stick at it and chisel a point out.

Absolutely disagree .. Leeds won't finish above WBA or Middlesbrough and their style will mean their shattered by time play offs come round..

Just now, East Yorks Owl said:

I thought the clearest indication we were getting outmuscled was how easily we were going to ground in the hope we’d get a free kick. I can’t recall too much occasions when any of their players went down looking for a free kick. Still the boys stuck at it and that point could prove handy at the end of the season.

Disagree think the ref ignored a lot of their fouls

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Ah wasn't aware they always press like that, thought they saw a weakness in us. Can see why that style would be hard to keep up for a full season, it's very in your face. If they had a player like FF or Knockeart upfront they would be a serious force in this league. 

1 hour ago, ReadingOwl said:

Also, and I’m probably telling something that you already know - but there is only three Ridings.

No South. Somert to do with Vikings (Norse was thriddings - meaning 3) The Vikings split Yorkshire into 3.

bloody Vikings :carlos:glad I'm a Norman

4 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

They usually run out of steam towards the end of the season. Maybe not this year?

1 minute ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

Ah wasn't aware they always press like that, thought they saw a weakness in us. Can see why that style would be hard to keep up for a full season, it's very in your face. If they had a player like FF or Knockeart upfront they would be a serious force in this league. 

Pointer is for all his plaudits the Leeds manager had long career and never won a league.  They are super fit and putting everything in but Boro and WBA have much more quality. 

2 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I though our lads played with their back to goal alot, it was mainly our forwards that seemed to go down. No support due to lack of movement for me, can see your point tho, but don't think muscle in the middle was the issue, more lack of link up play, so back to the defender with no where to go, they go down.