Bannan lauds Joey

Guest Willow Owl

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Ah, so I see we're on to the part of the thread where people start questioning the sincerity of the praise... and right on schedule too. For such an often unpredictable forum, Owlstalk and Wednesday fans certainly have some patterns they have to collectively stick to don't they  

For the benefit of the questioning doubters, let's do a quick little thought experiment. Imagine you're a diminutive traditional central midfielder playmaker... ya know, the type that does a lot of those "assisting the assistor" passes and on his day basically runs the show. You have to pick your midfield partner. You have the choice between two players:

A) Tough-tackling defensive midfielder with excellent distribution. Poor mobility and due to his work rate often poor positioning. History of getting lots of bookings and getting injured by diving in.

B) Not so tough tackling defensive midfielder who seems to fetishise retaining possession and so constantly passes the ball square to you. Decent mobility and excellent positioning. Very rarely gets booked, lasts 90 minutes and doesn't get injured.

Now the question is, as this diminutive central midfielder, would you rather work with A or B? Which one would you feel more comfortable pushing forward and leaving on their own with, trusting that if the attack you're part of breaks down, nothing too calamitous will happen? Which one do you think will get you on the ball as much as possible? Which one would you feel most comfortable in defending as the only central midfielder to give you time to rush back if the opponents were to counter? 

If you're still persisting with A... then congrats on being traditional "ugh, aggressive breaking-up-of-play" supporters. Nowt wrong with that opinion. But it's an extremely high-risk strategy. If you want consistent assurance with a slightly less "dramatic" solution, you go for B. Every time. I'm delighted we have Joey B Pelupessy instead of Sammy A Hutchinson. 

Yep. I honestly think Hutch, who has been a great servant, has run his course as a mainstay of the team. 

14 hours ago, Watson said:

Nothing against him as such but don't you think he will be replaced by Onomah?  Joey might be good at breaking things up and delivers well from dead ball situations.  Won't Onomah offer more overall?

Onomah, Bannan and Reach in midfield equals promo. Pessy looks far better in a 4 2 3 1 but against the best teams the technical and football limitations he has will expose the rest of the team.

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

no it doesn't it just means they have a different opinion than bannan  …….a lot think westwood is better than dawson but just because jos prefers the latter don't mean that they know jack about football …….I think fox is an ok left back as does jos as he keeps putiing him the squad yet just about everyone on here thinks he's crap but that don't mean jos or me know feck all …….everybody as different opinions 

Very good post .

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Onomah, Bannan and Reach in midfield equals promo. Pessy looks far better in a 4 2 3 1 but against the best teams the technical and football limitations he has will expose the rest of the team.

Looking at the stats being provided for /9Joey Bannan Reach) it would be a brave manager to break it up.  If Onomah can improve on those stats then Spurs will be wanting him back lol 

Guest Willow Owl
4 hours ago, torryowl said:

no it doesn't it just means they have a different opinion than bannan  …….a lot think westwood is better than dawson but just because jos prefers the latter don't mean that they know jack about football …….I think fox is an ok left back as does jos as he keeps putiing him the squad yet just about everyone on here thinks he's crap but that don't mean jos or me know feck all …….everybody as different opinions 

Of course it is about opinions. I am saying that a lot of the opinions posted on here about Joey have been proved wrong by Bannans comments. In my opinion these people know jack about football. 

2 hours ago, WC1Owl said:

Yep. I honestly think Hutch, who has been a great servant, has run his course as a mainstay of the team. 

I'd have to agree.

He looks past his sell by date going off the first few games of the season.

That farcical penalty he gave away against Brentford was so earth shatteringly stupid that I'm glad Jos has binned him off to the subs bench.

You've got young players in the team and one of the senio pros goes and does that?!

5 hours ago, Owl999 said:

Or it's to get the fans off his back 

Nobody’s been jumping to the defence of Palmer, Fox, Jones or Nuhiu though in the team who get stick at times from the fans. I’d like to think it’s Bannan being genuine because on the pitch he’s often the first to berate someone which shows he’s passionate.

15 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Nobody’s been jumping to the defence of Palmer, Fox, Jones or Nuhiu though in the team who get stick at times from the fans. I’d like to think it’s Bannan being genuine because on the pitch he’s often the first to berate someone which shows he’s passionate.

Unless he thinks the slating of the other players you've mentioned is deserved .

6 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Of course it is about opinions. I am saying that a lot of the opinions posted on here about Joey have been proved wrong by Bannans comments. In my opinion these people know jack about football. 

but it doesn't does it …..i'd bet that if the journo had said to baz whats your opinion on morgan fox he'd have said " yeah he's a good player"...ive read a lot of articles over the years and cant recall any where a player as called out a colleague as being crap  …...you think joey is a good player (so do I) but I wouldn't be calling someone who doesn't rate him as someone who as no idea on football . ….. 

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
17 minutes ago, torryowl said:

but it doesn't does it …..i'd bet that if the journo had said to baz whats your opinion on morgan fox he'd have said " yeah he's a good player"...ive read a lot of articles over the years and cant recall any where a player as called out a colleague as being crap  …...you think joey is a good player (so do I) but I wouldn't be calling someone who doesn't rate him as someone who as no idea on football . ….. 

Thats all ifs and buts though Torryowl. It wasn't just a comment by Bazza it was a full conversation on his relationship with Joey. If he wasn't happy I'm pretty sure he would have deflected the questions. The stats posted earlier prove also that they work well together. I will stick my opinion thanks. 

1 hour ago, Willow Owl said:

Thats all ifs and buts though Torryowl. It wasn't just a comment by Bazza it was a full conversation on his relationship with Joey. If he wasn't happy I'm pretty sure he would have deflected the questions. The stats posted earlier prove also that they work well together. I will stick my opinion thanks. 

That last sentence tho..

Stats don't prove anything..but they've certainly affected your opinion.

Guest Willow Owl
6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

That last sentence tho..

Stats don't prove anything..but they've certainly affected your opinion.

In what way? 

Guest Willow Owl
6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

You've said this: " the stats posted earlier prove also that they work well together. I will stick to my opinion thanks."

Read it again...and if you can't see the jarring incongruity there then I give up.

Someone's been at the Dictionary! 

I'm slightly confused :wacko: Is this an attempt at Horation or Menippean satire regarding a perceived wrongly worded comment?

Either way it has nothing to do with the OP.

I really hope you don't decide to give up. I would however support your decision should you decide to take this route. (Horation satire) :rolleyes: