OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 minute ago, hawksmore said:

I’d like to see us ship out Reach for decent money and bring in 2 rapid wing backs. 

Next season I think Bruce will go with fletcher and Rhodes up front. 

Middle of the park will be Bannan, Hutch and forestieri. 3 at the back and wing backs. 

Lets see - sounds okay 

2 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

I’d like to see us ship out Reach for decent money and bring in 2 rapid wing backs. 

Middle of the park will be Bannan, Hutch and forestieri. 3 at the back and wing backs. 

Bruce has rarely played 3/5 at the back (see below fron one of my posts in another thread).  I think he'll stick with his tried and tested 4-2-3-1.  Not to say he won't be getting rapid wing backs...

Bruce played:

• Pretty much a staunch 4-4-2 at Wigan. 
  • 4-4-2 at Sunderland, sometimes 4-4-1-1 in 2009, 10 & 11, then moved to 4-2-3-1 in 11/12.
  • 3-5-2/4-4-2 at Hull from 12/13 to 14/15, then switched to 4-1-4-1/4-2-3-1 from 15/16 until... 
  • ...he moved to Villa where he mostly played 4-2-3-1 from 16/17 until the chop.  

So you could say it's pretty likely we're going to be playing 4-2-3-1 when/if he arrives.

24 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

We would get completely overrun with those 3 in the middle.

Since the infamous January 2017 Window (Winnall, Fox and Rhodes), we’ve signed the grand total of 5 players in the next three windows.

Boyd (Free)

Venancio (Loan)

Pelupessy (Undisclosed)

Onomah (Loan)

Hector (Loan)

No wonder we’ve dropped off the pace like we have. No disrespect to the players signed but we have neither strengthened or freshened the squad sufficiently enough over the last 18 months. Yes, Lukuhay was a cr@p manager for us but he can genuinely point to the fact he wasn’t really backed in the market to put his own mark on the team/squad. I wonder how heavily the Chairman will back Bruce?

Edited by Great Big Galaa
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Since the infamous January 2017 Window (Winnall, Fox and Rhodes), we’ve signed the grand total of 5 players in the next three windows.

Boyd (Free)

Venancio (Loan)

Pelupessy (Undisclosed)

Onomah (Loan)

Hector (Loan)

No wonder we’ve dropped off the pace like we have. No disrespect to the players signed but we have neither strengthened or freshened the squad sufficiently enough over the last 18 months. Yes, Lukuhay was a cr@p manager for us but he can genuinely point to the fact he wasn’t really backed in the market to put his own mark on the team/squad. I wonder how heavily the Chairman will back Bruce?

FFP thats why and yet we are expected to make loads of signings all of a  sudden. Odd

18 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Boyd (Free)

Venancio (Loan)

Pelupessy (Undisclosed)

Onomah (Loan)

Hector (Loan)

Van Aken?

6 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Therein lies the problem.  Bannan, Hutch, Quagmire and Boyd hardly ever score, FF is either injured or in handcuffs, and reach only scores worldies. Joao, when fit (not including long term absentees) is the only attacker who can create chances for himself, and others on a regular basis.

Quite, my point was, people getting on at fletch for not scoring when its not all really down to him

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Fletcher is a throwback to the days of a big target man, scrapping for everything and not giving the defenders time to settle. While those attributes are still useful in football at this level, they are not enough, and quite frankly, limit our attacking abilities, rather than enhance them. We need a more mobile centre forward, and use Fletcher from the bench as a plan B option

Exactly

I don’t buy this ‘look what else he brings to the team’ argument 

yes he holds up play and batters defenders but strikers are ultimately paid to score goals

like defenders are paid to defend goals 

17 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Exactly

I don’t buy this ‘look what else he brings to the team’ argument 

yes he holds up play and batters defenders but strikers are ultimately paid to score goals

like defenders are paid to defend goals 

Wingers are also paid to cross but ours haven't been doing enough of it and certainly not to high standard for a while.

54 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Again, we don’t play that way

With slightly better recruitment in those areas, I don't see why we cant.

We have a chance to have a fresh start, our style of play will probably change and Fletcher, among others, may still fit into that.

7 minutes ago, SupremeOwl said:

With slightly better recruitment in those areas, I don't see why we cant.

We have a chance to have a fresh start, our style of play will probably change and Fletcher, among others, may still fit into that.

I’m sure he’ll have a role to play, yes

Guest Kagoshimaowl
6 hours ago, hawksmore said:

Forestieri in midfield.....:picnic:

7 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Van Aken?

I think he was signed in the summer of 2017? 

Regarding the January Window of 2017, I missed out the Loan signing of McManaman which made that window even more frustrating given his lack of an impact too.

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Again, we don’t play that way

We still put a lot of crosses in. The quality and position from where we cross is mostly abysmal and has been since Rhodes signed. You can't sign players like this and then not put any quality into the box for them. We are not good enough to tip tap into the box and if we were, we wouldn't be slumming it in the lower part of the Championship. Nearly all of our strikers are good headers of the ball. Its weird, like Carlos signed them all to play wingers and then changed his mind. Look at how much Liverpool cross the ball, especially from Robertson and TAA. We don't have that quality but it would be nice to see some aggressive full backs getting beyond their defence to cross from their box instead of lumping it in from near the half way line. Palmer to his credit does do this and if his final ball was better he would be a very good attacking full back. Fox has a good cross on him but looks like hes running with a dump in his shorts, no pace means you can't get further up the pitch to use that crossing ability effectively.