OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

32 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

A Livermore type player would be great.

We have one, Hector. He was great in that role for Reading, and I could see him used by Bruce in such a role, especially if we manage to bring in Milosovic Maybe this is why there wasn’t a midfielder on his apparent list of targets

6 minutes ago, Spookone said:

Surely he’s a striker?

(Striker) main function = score goals

We are awful at creating chances, the stats back that up. Even the majority of the ones hes missed haven't been sitters. I'd say its more important to have a goal threat around him. Boyd and Matias don't look like that though, even though they are, with Reach, probably the only players we have who make those runs in behind. Forestieri, Joao, Hooper, Nuhui all drop deep or find themselves on the wing(looking at you Dave) when we are attacking.Fletcher has certainly had a 50p head the last few weeks though.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

We have one, Hector. He was great in that role for Reading, and I could see him used by Bruce in such a role, especially if we manage to bring in Milosovic Maybe this is why there wasn’t a midfielder on his apparent list of targets

Not good enough on the ball for that position. If you look at the players Bruce has had in that position, Hector is nowhere near good enough technically. 

17 minutes ago, Spookone said:

Surely he’s a striker?

(Striker) main function = score goals

Yes and no.

I can see where you're coming from, and it's a tad frustrating to say the least.

Yet remember Dean Burton? Not exactly a 20 a season either, but would cause havoc in the final third which the rest of the team befitted from handsomely. Imo Fletcher is similar, he just causes problems and gives defenders something to worry about, constantly.However he does need to convert more chances, there's no doubt about that..

9 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

We are awful at creating chances, the stats back that up. Even the majority of the ones hes missed haven't been sitters. I'd say its more important to have a goal threat around him. Boyd and Matias don't look like that though, even though they are, with Reach, probably the only players we have who make those runs in behind. Forestieri, Joao, Hooper, Nuhui all drop deep or find themselves on the wing(looking at you Dave) when we are attacking.Fletcher has certainly had a 50p head the last few weeks though.

Not good enough on the ball for that position. If you look at the players Bruce has had in that position, Hector is nowhere near good enough technically. 

He was decent enough on the ball when he was playing that role for Reading, at least as good as Jedinak, whom Bruce used at Villa I’d say that, in Hutchinson, and Hector, we have two players who can shield the back four. Not too many of that type of player, are amazing on the ball. Currently, probably only Busquets, and Fernandinho over here, could be described as such

Edited by gurujuan

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He was decent enough on the ball when he was playing that role for Reading, at least as good as Jedinak, whom Bruce used at Villa I’d say that, in Hutchinson, and Hector, we have two players who can shield the back four. Not too many of that type of player, are amazing on the ball. Currently, probably only Busquets, and Fernandinho over here, could be described as such

Didn't say amazing but look at Whelan/Hourihane, Livermore/Huddlestone, Cana/Gardner he isn't as technically proficient as those. Hutch is also quite a bit better than he is in that role. Hutch, Bannan and Reach isn't a bad three though. I would like to think that Bruce will bring in cover for Hutch or maybe use Hector as a back up if he wants him in that position. I'm not sure that is where our deficiencies are, creativity is something that needs looking at way more than screening or defending. Someone who can beat a man one on one would be nice. 

7 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

Didn't say amazing but look at Whelan/Hourihane, Livermore/Huddlestone, Cana/Gardner he isn't as technically proficient as those. Hutch is also quite a bit better than he is in that role. Hutch, Bannan and Reach isn't a bad three though. I would like to think that Bruce will bring in cover for Hutch or maybe use Hector as a back up if he wants him in that position. I'm not sure that is where our deficiencies are, creativity is something that needs looking at way more than screening or defending. Someone who can beat a man one on one would be nice. 

Agree, but a lot of those aren’t as good defensively. I’m hoping that having a proper sitting midfielder, will give us the platform from which our more creative players, can create. Bannan and Reach should give us that, although I do feel Reach has more in his locker, than he’s shown so far. Another creative option would be useful though

People won't agree because they don't rate him. But I can see Pelupessy being a midfielder that Bruce will use if he plays 3 midfielders. 

worked well with Hutchinson and Bannan against West Brom.

And I see Bruce turning Reach into his version of Snodgrass and playing him on a wing.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

People won't agree because they don't rate him. But I can see Pelupessy being a midfielder that Bruce will use if he plays 3 midfielders. 

worked well with Hutchinson and Bannan against West Brom.

And I see Bruce turning Reach into his version of Snodgrass and playing him on a wing.

Yes, I could see both of those things happening

I think a midfield three of hutch hector and bannan is very competitive and athletic fletcher up top and reach and forestieri our wide gives us creativity think that would be a hard team to beat just because of the muscle and threat 

obviously we would need a new centre back and if we upgrade those fullback spots I see us being very good 

1 hour ago, pussface said:

Yes and no.

I can see where you're coming from, and it's a tad frustrating to say the least.

Yet remember Dean Burton? Not exactly a 20 a season either, but would cause havoc in the final third which the rest of the team befitted from handsomely. Imo Fletcher is similar, he just causes problems and gives defenders something to worry about, constantly.However he does need to convert more chances, there's no doubt about that..

Being a target man and us playing one up front, surely we rely on goals from elsewhere??

Just now, billyblack said:

Being a target man and us playing one up front, surely we rely on goals from elsewhere??

Therein lies the problem.  Bannan, Hutch, Quagmire and Boyd hardly ever score, FF is either injured or in handcuffs, and reach only scores worldies. Joao, when fit (not including long term absentees) is the only attacker who can create chances for himself, and others on a regular basis.

Fletcher is a throwback to the days of a big target man, scrapping for everything and not giving the defenders time to settle. While those attributes are still useful in football at this level, they are not enough, and quite frankly, limit our attacking abilities, rather than enhance them. We need a more mobile centre forward, and use Fletcher from the bench as a plan B option

6 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Therein lies the problem.  Bannan, Hutch, Quagmire and Boyd hardly ever score, FF is either injured or in handcuffs, and reach only scores worldies. Joao, when fit (not including long term absentees) is the only attacker who can create chances for himself, and others on a regular basis.

lol

Giggity.

• Haha 2