OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

37 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Fletcher is a throwback to the days of a big target man, scrapping for everything and not giving the defenders time to settle. While those attributes are still useful in football at this level, they are not enough, and quite frankly, limit our attacking abilities, rather than enhance them. We need a more mobile centre forward, and use Fletcher from the bench as a plan B option

If you play with only one striker, like we have since Jos left. I expect them to be a goal threat, he’s the complete opposite to Joao who is inconsistent, doesn’t look bothered half of the time ,doesn’t seem to put a shift in, hardly notice him but has been popping up with goals. Joao’s goals per minute ratio must be up there in the championship this year.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Fletcher is a throwback to the days of a big target man, scrapping for everything and not giving the defenders time to settle. While those attributes are still useful in football at this level, they are not enough, and quite frankly, limit our attacking abilities, rather than enhance them. We need a more mobile centre forward, and use Fletcher from the bench as a plan B option

To an extent I agree with you and would rather have a more complete forward, but as France showed during the world cup you don’t need your target man to score goals if he brings others into play around him. Olivier Giroud didn’t have a shot on target in the whole tournament.

Edited by football=owls
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

We have a chance of getting these type of players without pushing the boat all the way out re wages now we have a manager with a reputation 

Edit... good reputation :carlos:

Edited by keepitsteel89

1 minute ago, football=owls said:

To an extent I agree with you and would rather have a more complete forward, but as France showed during the world cup you don’t need your target man to score goals if he brings others into play around him. Olivier Giroud didn’t have a shot on target in the whole tournament.

The thing with Giroud, and I know you’re not making a direct comparison, is that he is excellent at bringing others into play, either with head, but also on the ground. With Fletcher, it’s more about picking up the scraps from the problems he poses. None of our strikers feed on those sort of scraps. If someone like Forestieri, or even Matias, play the ball to him, they expect it to be returned straight away That doesn’t happen with Fletcher, it’s always a battle, which, even if he wins it, it always slows the attack down

3 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Gurus agenda against Fletcher is confusing to say the least.

Arguably been one if out top 3 performers this season. 

Last position we need to sign a player in is striker.

I noticed this as well. He is the best centre forward at the club. He would probably be a lot better in a two but we won't play that I don't think. (Not counting the terminally injured Hooper that is)

Edited by Guest
added Hooper

1 minute ago, GerOwl said:

I noticed this as well. He is the best centre forward at the club. He would probably be a lot better in a two but we won't play that I don't think.

100% he's our best centre forward.

Him and Hooper were fantastic as a 2 in our march to the play offs from 7th back in April 2017.

He does play well in an attacking 3 though, if he has quicker wingers around him to bring into play.

5 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We’ll see, but I fully expect Bruce to try and bring in a new centre forward. In my opinion, playing Fletcher as a lone centre forward, doesn’t work, either for him, or us Consequently, it would be one of the first issues I’d expect Bruce to tackle

1 minute ago, fpowl said:

Said it before I’ll say it again problem isn’t with fletcher it’s getting players closer to him or up supporting hi quicker 

he’s a top player, just needs the right kind of players around him 

but we don’t play that way. To get the best out of Fletcher, he needs to be one of a pair, alongside someone who plays off him, someone like Dwight Gayle, for instance

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We’ll see, but I fully expect Bruce to try and bring in a new centre forward. In my opinion, playing Fletcher as a lone centre forward, doesn’t work, either for him, or us Consequently, it would be one of the first issues I’d expect Bruce to tackle

To be fair pal, the ideal centre forward is Steven Fletcher.

The player you describe is a striker, a different role and position to centre forward.

34 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

A third of the way in and no movement either way.................hope things pick up soon.

Yes, one hopes it’s nothing to do with Bruce being absent from the job We probably have more deals to do than most, and yet we haven’t managed one yet, in or out

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Guru always has an agenda against players, used to be Rhodes, now its Fletcher :laugh:

• Haha 1

I’d like to see us ship out Reach for decent money and bring in 2 rapid wing backs. 

Next season I think Bruce will go with fletcher and Rhodes up front. 

Middle of the park will be Bannan, Hutch and forestieri. 3 at the back and wing backs. 

• Haha 3