Adam Reach

Had an ineffective game today .

I don’t like the position he played and don’t think it does him any favours.

I like the 433 system and he is being asked to play the furthest forward of the midfield 3. For some reason he is obviously given the job of marking their defensive midfield player .

From a system perspective it’s rubbish. Our player in that position should be creating problems for the opposition not worrying about their defensive midfielder.

From a Reach perspective it just doesn’t suit his strengths.

He needs to be getting the ball deeper and running with it not receiving it with his back to goal , standing still. Often today he was the furthest forward of our players when Ipswich had the ball.

He was completely ineffective and it gave us problems all day because we just never picked the loose balls up in midfield .

7 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

I thought he was good on Wednesday night in the same position. Today they left no room and went direct back to front and squeezed all the space in front of their CHs.  It wasn’t easy for any of our attacking midfield to find space. I can’t fault Reach’s effort. 

I think the difference on Wednesday was they played 442 so we outnumbered them in there.

All our midfield three had decent games while none were as effective today, even Bannan.

Edited by oldishowl

I’m not his biggest fan anyway but he was driving me mental today 

He runs for runnings sake, almost knowing he’s not going to get the ball but looks busy.

His lack of any aggression stands out a mile. It’s like he’s allergic to opposition players. 

He has been here long enough to be more  of a senior figure performance wise. Once every 5 games isn’t good enough.

8 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I think the difference on Wednesday was they played 442 so we outnumbered them in there.

All our midfield three had decent games while none were as effective today, even Bannan.

I think you’re right. Ipswich is never easy, and i’ll never fault the lads for grinding out a result - not pretty but effective. 

15 minutes ago, torres said:

I’m not his biggest fan anyway but he was driving me mental today 

He runs for runnings sake, almost knowing he’s not going to get the ball but looks busy.

His lack of any aggression stands out a mile. It’s like he’s allergic to opposition players. 

He has been here long enough to be more  of a senior figure performance wise. Once every 5 games isn’t good enough.

Christ, he's one of our best players. Not his biggest fan. :laugh:

• Thanks 1

Should play him left of a 3 in 433 rather than advanced in 4231 imo to benefit from driving runs forward, can put a mean cross in these days, especially if in space created with penney and ff/matias down left.

Can also cover penney too reducing burden on left foward tracking back.

Bannan joey reach

Matias joao/fletch ff

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Had an ineffective game today .

I don’t like the position he played and don’t think it does him any favours.

I like the 433 system and he is being asked to play the furthest forward of the midfield 3. For some reason he is obviously given the job of marking their defensive midfield player .

From a system perspective it’s rubbish. Our player in that position should be creating problems for the opposition not worrying about their defensive midfielder.

From a Reach perspective it just doesn’t suit his strengths.

He needs to be getting the ball deeper and running with it not receiving it with his back to goal , standing still. Often today he was the furthest forward of our players when Ipswich had the ball.

He was completely ineffective and it gave us problems all day because we just never picked the loose balls up in midfield .

I'll have to disagree with this post oldish.

We've got to have a fluid midfield with what we've got.

KL has been out for ages.. we've got no like for like replacement.

We're going to be plugging holes in this way until he comes back...or a replacement found at astronomical cost.

It's make do and mend at pres.

29 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Good player is Reach. 

Not his best game today, though in fairness not many of our attacking players were at it. 

True, and yet we still beat a side that we haven't won against at home since 2007. Well done Joao for taking the chances that did fall his way.