Adam Reach

The way Ipswich pressed us high for an hour till they got knackered made quite a few of our players look ineffective, Reach included.

Seems he is one of those players that only needs one average game and some wanna have a pop.

I started this thread a few weeks back and I thought today highlighted again how we are not using Reach properly.

The position he is being asked to play appears nonsense to me.

Again he was too far up the pitch to add anything to our midfield and had a very poor game.

For lots of reasons he just doesn’t suit the position .

Jos has got this wrong and needs to sort it otherwise the next step will be Reach on the bench through no fault of his own .

Guest Jack the Hat
20 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I started this thread a few weeks back and I thought today highlighted again how we are not using Reach properly.

Again he was too far up the pitch to add anything to our midfield and had a very poor game.

Jos has got this wrong and needs to sort it otherwise the next step will be Reach on the bench through no fault of his own .

Through no fault of his own!!! The guy doesn't tackle and today could barely string a pass together. JL has been lauded for dropping established players but Reach seems undroppable for some reason. It's close enough to his preferred position for him to be making a better fist of it. He's supposed to be versatile but isn't . We can't afford to carry players who has only one in three good games. I'd try the lad from spurs for him . Two more games this week so we may need to rest players anyway. I'd look at resting him for one of these.

Probably one of the worst displays from Reach today.  

Didn't really look comfortable in that position whatsoever. 

Reach has to play wide midfield.  That is where he is the most effective.  Haven't seen him put on the afterburners lately.  

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I have no problem at all with him playing in the middle.

But I think to get the best put of him there he's better picking it up deeper and facing up and facing the other way and having to come to meet.

Spot on for me. He has to be running at players from deep through the channels. He can’t play with his back to goal. If he’d played deeper today closing down the spaces around Bazza and Pelupessy they wouldn’t have had a near free run of the midfield for 30 minutes. Jos said in his interview it was about too much respect but I thought it was much more simple - an extra man in the middle that wasn’t shut down.  That surely has to be where Reach needs to be. 

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
24 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

Reach had no bottle for a tackle. Runs around lots so gets

the plaudits. Has no position. Left back?No. Wing back? No. Left midfield?No. Centre midfield?No. Easing of FFP? Yes. Sell him in January? Yes.

I don't think he is a bad player but I do think he is bang average and a square peg in a round hole for us. If we were offered 9mill for him as reported, I think we made a mistake as we could have bought a couple of good round pegs with that. For me running around is a given and scoring worldys is a bonus and that's all I can see he does.

Along with Pessy I thought he was poor today . Very slow at closing down players . His and Pessy's idea of marking is to stand 5 yards off the opposition . Reach , in addition  ,spends a lot of time waving his arms around telling other players what to do , without doing whats' required himself . Neither he or Pessy can tackle or head a ball , are easily outmuscled and dont seem to have the drive to take on a bit of responsibility to help Bannan .

I'd prefer Onumah for Pessy and give Reach the benefit of the doubt today but midfield remains weak in my view .

7 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

I don't think he is a bad player but I do think he is bang average and a square peg in a round hole for us. If we were offered 9mill for him as reported, I think we made a mistake as we could have bought a couple of good round pegs with that. For me running around is a given and scoring worldys is a bonus and that's all I can see he does.

Think that flatters him to be honest.

21 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Spot on for me. He has to be running at players from deep through the channels. He can’t play with his back to goal. If he’d played deeper today closing down the spaces around Bazza and Pelupessy they wouldn’t have had a near free run of the midfield for 30 minutes. Jos said in his interview it was about too much respect but I thought it was much more simple - an extra man in the middle that wasn’t shut down.  That surely has to be where Reach needs to be. 

Agree. If he's in the centre he has to be receiving with the space in front of him so he can open his legs and cause the opposition problems 

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

Absolutely spot on. 

I'm liking Jos a lot but he has got this completely wrong for me. Similar to under Carlos, Reach was getting stick today when he is clearly being shoved into a position he is not as good or comfortable in, he is paying the price for his versatility and our lack of other decent options. 

He looked twice the player when he went out wide and we immediately looked more of a threat. 

That said he should have done much better with his half chance. 

The position is making him look a lot worse and he obviously doesn’t know how to play it.

The way he is playing it at the moment he is that far up the pitch that we would be better off with Hooper or FF in it when they are available.

Can’t see Joao and Matias playing all 3 games this week and think we will see Reach playing wide in the front three.

I don't really know what position he was playing today. He wasn't helping out in midfield cos he was too far forward. At times in the second half he seemed to be almost playing down the middle as our most advanced player. Is that is fault or how he was told to play? Not sure.

We are playing 4231 and he is the middle of the 3.

While most of us see this role as being a creative one Jos seems to send him out to mark their defensive midfielder., in this case Woods.

It is a thankless task because as we saw today with the help of the centre halfs they just passed round him. 

He needs to play 15 yd deeper, help the midfield, pick up the ball and run at their defensive midfielder and cause him problems of his own.

It’s a nonsense job, marking a defensive midfielder.