Midfield General or Commanding Centre Back

14 minutes ago, Eightace said:

Definitely a central defender.

If lees gets injured that would really hurt.

We look a bit dodgy at times. We need a kompany or van dyke type lol

Hutch (if fit) could cover Lees. And we don’t want to bring someone in as just cover they need to improve the Xi. This would mean a partner for Lees; ideally left sided but then we already have three left sided centre backs. It’s a bit of a conundrum.

1 minute ago, York_Owl said:

Hutch (if fit) could cover Lees. And we don’t want to bring someone in as just cover they need to improve the Xi. This would mean a partner for Lees; ideally left sided but then we already have three left sided centre backs. It’s a bit of a conundrum.

Yes, Lees, Thornley, Van Aken and a new signing, would be enough if we stick with this system As you say, we always have Hutchinson in case of emergencies. One of O’Grady or Nielsen need to be sent out on loan, preferably the latter, as he’s older

Midfielder 

JP isn't good enough imo and Hutch can't be relied on for fitness. Whereas we've got plenty of young CBs for depth, and this would allow Hutch to be used as a CB more. 

Ideally / Long term we need both. But unless they're first XI quality no point. 

Edited by davethemagicweasel
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Did you see how poor Nuhiu was at Brentford?

If we're going to have one up top in a 4-2-3-1 - it has to be Fletcher.

Yes I di but I also have seen how good he can be. Plus Hooper and Joao can play there.

I'm not having a go at Fletcher he is a decent player but ive never been his biggest fan and he doesn't score enough to justify the wages. In the predicament were in you have to be looking to offload. IMO

5 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Yes I di but I also have seen how good he can be. Plus Hooper and Joao can play there.

I'm not having a go at Fletcher he is a decent player but ive never been his biggest fan and he doesn't score enough to justify the wages. In the predicament were in you have to be looking to offload. IMO

Probably agree with this, but unlikely given his wages. The thing with Fletcher in this system, he gives his all as the lone front man, but he doesn’t make enough happen He seems more of an old fashioned centre forward who’d have a strike partner playing off him

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Probably agree with this, but unlikely given his wages. The thing with Fletcher in this system, he gives his all as the lone front man, but he doesn’t make enough happen He seems more of an old fashioned centre forward who’d have a strike partner playing off him

Agree, and he looks a lot better when played in a front 2 with Hooper. But none of our other players are then suited to this.

There's good arguments for either but for me I think a midfield general is more important. If we get the right cover in front of the CBs then this in turn takes some pressure off the defence and some of our defenders 'could' appear better (the likes of Van Aken and Pudil).

Tough call as but whichever one it is needs to have pace.

i think some of the young CB’s might fill the void do maybe a midfielder would allow Sam H to be a CB option.

i though Joey P played very well in Wedneday however.

• Like 1

People need to stop talking about his wages.

We got him on a free 

If we had paid 3 mill for him and he was on 20k per week then on a 3 year contract he would have cost the same as a free transfer and 40k per week and nobody would be mentioning it.

He won’t have cost the club as much as some of our other signings 

On 24/08/2018 at 10:03, gurujuan said:

What we’ve seen emerging from the development squad, means hopefully we don’t need to recruit as many. The emergence of viable full back options, have eased the need for more full backs.

I agree with the OP that, those are our two most urgent requirements. In short though, we need both. If we continue to play three in the middle, then we don’t have enough options. The key questions are, when is Lee back, and are Jones and Abdi part of our plans going forward? With Reach playing a more central role, could we convert Boyd into a similar alternative? We don’t need wingers, as such, in this system, more wide attackers. Those wide attackers will be expected to deliver goals as well, and Boyd doesn’t do that, so maybe converting him into a midfield player, who we could use if Reach wasn’t available. The best person for that role, is obviously Abdi, but does Jos believe he will be fit, or indeed, even want him? 

If we are sticking with the 4-3-3, then we probably need another wide attacking option to back up Joao, Forestieri and Matias. 

Realistically, that is now the only area where we can inject some extra pace. 

So for me, it would be, a dominant centre back, a midfield general with all round, defensive and creative abilities, and a quick forward who can play the wide areas

it is our lack of a mobile, channel running forward (vardy type to give it another name) that dictates a great deal more of what is going on behind in the build up.

IF we had a competent, effective forward pairing maybe we could afford more men in m/f and bolster our defence.

that's why i'd consider selling westwood, ff, and whoever it takes (perhaps not bannan) to move the rebuild along during this Christmas window or early next pre season.

23 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

who the **** is going to step in and pick up fletcher's contract?

No idea who we will bring in to be honest but I’m not too sure Thorniley will be giving that shirt up for anyone anytime soon, exellent today and my only criticism is he didn’t get himself a goal 

I think you go for best player you can get so its down to who you can get. Think we are short of pace in both positions so if somebody available who is quick, can tackle and comfortable on ball would be happy.

We maybe have seen glimpses of our possible commanding cb now over the last couple of games. I'm not going to get too carried away too soon, but the lad thornily is beginning to look like he may over time fill that void. 

Has done well over the last couple of games against strong, ariel and physical opposition and a commanding display today, so maybe hopefully along with bannan by the end of the season we'll not be saying we need either. 

I'd love to see by the end of the season a regular staring lineup that doesn't look out of place containing Dawson, Penny, Baker, thornily, Preston and Kirby and what a motivation it would be for the rest of the development squad boys to look to. 

Edited by shezzas left peg
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

We maybe have seen glimpses of our possible commanding cb now over the last couple of games. I'm not going to get too carried away too soon, but the lad thornily is beginning to look like he may over time fill that void. 

Has done well over the last couple of games against strong, ariel and physical opposition and a commanding display today, so maybe hopefully along with bannan by the end of the season we'll not be saying we need either. 

I'd love to see by the end of the season a regular staring lineup that doesn't look out of place containing Dawson, Penny, Baker, thornily, Preston and Kirby and what a motivation it would be for the rest of the development squad boys to look to. 

You can guarantee if that’s the case we would have to starv off bids from premier league clubs that love to stock pike these kind of players 

that said a continued run in the team and performances to match there’s 30million plus right there in transfers 

but I do hope we’d find away to not have to sell 

the thought of having a good Sheffield wednesday team with our own young and talented makes me giddy