Midfield General or Commanding Centre Back

On 24/08/2018 at 09:14, York_Owl said:

So if you could only bring in one who would it be? Personally I’d go for the midfield general, ideally, a Carlton Palmer type to compliment Bannan a bit like the old Palmer / Sheridan combination that worked to such good effect back in the 90s.

Agree completely.  A defensive midfielder protecting the back 4 would open up some great potential. Hoping Piazon signs too 

Dawson 

Palmer  Lees  Thorniley  Penney 

Lee   New DM Bannan

Piazon Joao  Forestieri 

Or.. 

Dawson 

Palmer  Lees  Thorniley  Penney 

New DM Bannan

Piazon Lee  Forestieri 

Joao 

Carlton Palmer type midfield general. If you win the midfield battle and control the game you can mask the shortcomings of the defence... also I'm nt entorely sure our defence is as bad as some think it is I think they are just too exposed because of lack of midfield cover.

20 minutes ago, Stokey said:

Carlton Palmer type midfield general. If you win the midfield battle and control the game you can mask the shortcomings of the defence... also I'm nt entorely sure our defence is as bad as some think it is I think they are just too exposed because of lack of midfield cover.

I don’t think the defence is bad, now that we’ve gone to a flat back four It’s more a case of, how can we realistically improve it. The obvious weakness, is our vulnerability in the air, hence the need for a centre back who is actually good in the air

I wouldn’t read to much into the press conference, Jos seems the type of manager who isn’t prepared to talk about transfers until they’ve actually been completed Anyway, since when has recruitment at Wednesday, ever had anything to do with the coach Three players would be good, but I’d take the two mentioned earlier in the press

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t think the defence is bad, now that we’ve gone to a flat back four It’s more a case of, how can we realistically improve it. The obvious weakness, is our vulnerability in the air, hence the need for a centre back who is actually good in the air

I agree and a centre back would still be a priority signing for me but I still think we need a midfield general first. I've been saying we need one ever since the play off final defeat to Hull tbh

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

After the games this season we are definitely needing a leader in defence .. Tom Lees just aint captain material

That’s the Nigel Pearson type defender that we need (ideally left sided to partner Lees).

47 minutes ago, Stokey said:

I agree and a centre back would still be a priority signing for me but I still think we need a midfield general first. I've been saying we need one ever since the play off final defeat to Hull tbh

If we’d have signed the Carlton Palmer type midfielder and a Nigel Pearson type centre back after the play off final I firmly believe we’d be in the premier league by now.

7 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

If we’d have signed the Carlton Palmer type midfielder and a Nigel Pearson type centre back after the play off final I firmly believe we’d be in the premier league by now.

Considering we had our best league finish for years the season after Wembley without making those 2 signings we were crying out for I think thats probably right.

Also, spending all that money on another striker when a) we already had what 6 strikers and for that money we could have got the midfield general we clearly needed and a long term replacement for Loovens was the main reason the Rhodes deal baffled me. The other being that our style of play was never going to be one that got the best of Rhodes. Feel sorry for him about the whole situation, not his fault.

Edited by Stokey

On 24/08/2018 at 09:14, York_Owl said:

I think most of us fans have recognised the need to bring in these two types of players for a number of years. The commanding centre back to replace Loovens and the midfield general, the lack of which has been apparent since the play off final (and before).

So if you could only bring in one who would it be? Personally I’d go for the midfield general, ideally, a Carlton Palmer type to compliment Bannan a bit like the old Palmer / Sheridan combination that worked to such good effect back in the 90s.

A young sam Hutchinson would be great , what happened to Clare best young box to box midfielder in years.