Midfield General or Commanding Centre Back

11 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Out of interest who arethe 11 out of contract next summer?

Westwood, Pudil, Fox, Lee, Jones, Abdi, Bannan, Matias, Fletcher, Hooper.

Joao has signed a new contract.

thanks to @cookeh for this list.

Edited by York_Owl

6 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Westwood, Pudil, Fox, Lee, Jones, Abdi, Bannan, Matias, Fletcher, Hooper.

Joao has signed a new contract.

thanks to @cookeh for this list.

A proper chance to clear some dead wood and start again next summer then. I'd be looking to keep Bannan and possibly Matias and then see how Lee and Hooper come back from their respective injuries,  The rest can go for me.

34 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We did yes, so the wide players in the system, Preston and Reach, drop back to form a three with the most attacking midfielder, Reach. I like both of those systems, because they are fluid and we can switch to either, depending on the state of the game. The only change needed, would be for the two wide attackers to drop back into a three behind a target man

Matias and Preston played the wide roles on Wednesday.

Reach played the most advanced of the midfield three.

I thought at times he was too far forward when Millwall had the ball but I guess he gets moved about so much it is not easy for him to get used to the positional part of a role.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Matias and Preston played the wide roles on Wednesday.

Reach played the most advanced of the midfield three.

I thought at times he was too far forward when Millwall had the ball but I guess he gets moved about so much it is not easy for him to get used to the positional part of a role.

We were very attacking on Wednesday. 

Certainly dispelled the Jos is too defensive ideas. 

But there were times where we over committed and got done on the break. Their goal came in one example. 

Im all for that way of playing though as long as we win. 

Edited by Beholder
  • Like 1

Priority has to be to extend contracts of Bannan, Penney, Preston and Matias probably in that order.

I think we have potentially decent cover at CH already. We have Pelupessy, Hutchinson and Boyd

who can play alongside Bannan. If Bannan is out though that is a problem. I think Alex Hunt will be

the answer, but maybe not for another season.

If pushed I'd go for CB.

We only have one who can play in a 2 but not well in a 3, and the others can't really play well in a 2 but are OK in a 3.

Saying that, we don't know yet how Thorniley will cope. He looks good but who knows.

I'd take a CB over a midfielder for now.

19 minutes ago, Beholder said:

We were very attacking on Wednesday. 

Certainly dispelled the Jos is too defensive ideas. 

But there were times where we over committed and got done on the break. Their goal came in one example. 

Im all for that way of playing though as long as we win. 

That will happen, it even happened in the 5-1 game versus Norwich As long as we score more, what the hell At least it’s entertaining

The main issue is, the two players at the base of the system, Bannan and Pelupessy, don’t really offer enough of a defensive shield. The former is more of a deep lying playmaker, while the latter is a bits and pieces player It’s hard to see how that could change, if one of the two is Bannan

Im not for one minute suggesting we leave Bannan out, but he may need a player who offers a little bit more steel alongside him 

Central midfielder. We do have a lot of players on the books for central midfield but none are adequate due to injuries, age (to play numerous games per week), not good enough. There also doesn't seem to be a battling youngster coming through to take on the role.

Jones

Boyd

Abdi

Lee

All should be released (if possible) for one reason or another.

2 hours ago, York_Owl said:

I think most of us fans have recognised the need to bring in these two types of players for a number of years. The commanding centre back to replace Loovens and the midfield general, the lack of which has been apparent since the play off final (and before).

So if you could only bring in one who would it be? Personally I’d go for the midfield general, ideally, a Carlton Palmer type to compliment Bannan a bit like the old Palmer / Sheridan combination that worked to such good effect back in the 90s.

We have needed both since the play off final defeat. 

3 hours ago, York_Owl said:

I think most of us fans have recognised the need to bring in these two types of players for a number of years. The commanding centre back to replace Loovens and the midfield general, the lack of which has been apparent since the play off final (and before).

So if you could only bring in one who would it be? Personally I’d go for the midfield general, ideally, a Carlton Palmer type to compliment Bannan a bit like the old Palmer / Sheridan combination that worked to such good effect back in the 90s.

I would add box to box midfielder to that, another Lee type player.

7 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

First of all JESUS WEPT at the above ! We do need to try move him on.

Secondly I would sight a CM over a CB especially if we are playing a back 4. Who however I don't know.

We don't need to move Fletcher on.

Wednesday night highlighted the centre back issue for me.

We were doing fine until they made their changes and immediately set about upsetting our central defence, causing a bad error for their goal. From that point on, to some extent understandably given our start to the season, our defence looked very shaky every time they came at us and I think our midfield and forwards did a sterling job helping to relieve the pressure.

It’s been said many times by others that Lees is a good defender but he needs a strong partner to keep him at his best, which is why he did so well alongside Loovens for a couple of seasons.

No reason why we can’t strengthen both positions but a central defence that relies so heavily on Lees gives me some real concerns.

• Like 1

We need a midfielder that can both attack and defend. 

Someone like Kieran Lee when fit. 

We seem to have players that are suited to 1 or the other. Defending, SH, JP and attacking there is BB, FF. We cant spare reach from a wing position as no one to fill the void and its not his natural position. 

I am not sure if that suits us to a diamond in midfield or not, I am no tactician but if we are gunna play 433, 3 5 2 the midfield need to contribute at both ends of the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Andrew6666 said:

Central midfielder. We do have a lot of players on the books for central midfield but none are adequate due to injuries, age (to play numerous games per week), not good enough. There also doesn't seem to be a battling youngster coming through to take on the role.

Jones

Boyd

Abdi

Lee

All should be released (if possible) for one reason or another.

What about Connor Kirby? He looked the part v Sunderland.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Course we do. think of the saving of wages over 2 years if he moved on now !

Did you see how poor Nuhiu was at Brentford?

If we're going to have one up top in a 4-2-3-1 - it has to be Fletcher.