Your thoughts and memories of this match?

Like others have said I remember clearly the crush on our half of the Holte End.  Was with my Dad and Brother and we struggled to keep near each other as the crowd moved.  My Dad got into an argument with another Wednesday fan over the pushing and shoving and the other guy clocked my dad in the face with a punch, I had to move in quickly to separate them!!!!  Seem to remember it took ages to get our afterwards as well.

Regarding the game, will never forget Shutt scoring but I also remember feeling absolutely gutted that we had again fallen in the semis just like against Brighton, I really thought that was the year I would see Wednesday play at Wembley.  Only had to wait a few more years to finally see that!!

Remember going with my dad and we took one of my "schoolmates" went on the Hole end, we must have been lucky as although I remember it being packed I have no recollection of being crushed. 

The "schoolmate" I'm talking about used to go both home and away and had a great big Owls ring, he went and stood at the back with the "lads" 

Left school that year and next time I saw him, much to my shock he told me he "now supported United,  because they had more lads and was now in the BBC" what a knob!

Whenever I bump into him (not often)  I always remind him his first love were Wednesday. 

Anyway back to the match, really thought we would do it after the 83 semi, think we were the better side and unlucky to lose, didn't realise it at the the time but if Hodge had stayed on the line, Harper wouldn’t have scored the first.

Imo all FA Cup semi's should still be at neutral venues,  the atmospheres were incredible, waited another 7 years before I finally us win a FA Cup semi Final but by God the wait was worth it.

Gutted. Everton were best team in England back then, but we could have had ‘em. Alan sodding Harper. Who knew?

If you could put three players out of that team into the current XI, who’d you have? I’d go for:

- Zico

- Shelts

- Meggo

Got ejected as soon as I got in the Holte end

Some tw@t tried to squeeze under the the turnstile as I went through

So Plod through us both out even though I'd never seen the kid before

Managed to bribe the turnstile operator on the side stand to let me in

Then had to keep dodging Plod as I had no ticket or seat to sit on

Some scuffling before and after if I remember correctly

Everton are a bogey side for us,Ive seen us wipe the floor with them and lose to poxy last minute goals.

It was my 2nd time on the Holte end after the Palace replay when Joicey bagged his hatrick in extra time,wasnt a classic game far from,but with all their injury woes I thought we might sneek it.They were one of the best sides around at that time,very strong side.We were packed in like sardines,I stood like a penguin for the entire game.

Went to a place called chelmsley wood to drown our sorrows after in some back street boozer,copped off with with some old milf banged her ass off in the carpark and went back to her place,nicked her car next morning and drove back to sheff so had a happy ending

HolmeOwl and I were going together but we blobbed on ticketing. I was entitled to one for my shareholding but didn't apply due to us wanting to sit together. The queuers were entitled to two, I was on nights and Diane offered to join the queue when I finished work at 4 a.m.. Diane queued for 6 hours before the tickets ran out. I was philosophical about the situation as I wasn't a season ticket holder (Yeah Right). Still can't remember what happened but someone Andy (Holmeowl) knew finished up with two decent seats landing in our lap.

Lots happened that day none of which I seem to be able to recall, perhaps Andy will pick up on it when he's home.  

32 years it’s hard to believe. It was the modern era, todays football. We were at the top table, the same size and stature (pretty much) as Everton, Chelsea, West Ham, Tottenham, Man City, Newcastle, Arsenal. Fate and the future no one could know would dictate whether they would stay as our contemporaries, there to compete with us every week for ever. I thought they always would. We were the same after all.

Everton were the best team in 1986 with their toned thigh muscles shown off in their Lineker tight shorts and strapped ankles. History shows they won nothing when they should have won the double. Everton had to break sweat and use extra time to beat us, but even with no Southall or Lineker it was in the end an expected win. We were gallant and plucky but in truth never really got to them in the way we would have wanted. We had a moment to remember, which in these big games I always hope you at least have. 

It’s a kind of magic by Queen is my eternal theme tune to this match, the celestial voices in that track echoing in the high mountains in the Holte End. The crushed sardines and my loved ones battling the semi final, Helen with her yellow and blue ribbons in her hair with my brother and sister. I Kept gazing in awe up at the steepling terrace towering into the skies with all the packed faces looking down on the increasingly difficult battle below.

The semi finals in the 1980s had an importance, a tension, an agony that a fan from the 21st century will not understand. There was no league to win, because it belonged to Liverpool. There was no Europe to qualify for, we were banned. Glory was at a premium. Barely any live football, just some. Which left the FA Cup Final. Bigger than Christmas Day. No wonder Everton had to beat us, they had to meet Liverpool. The Evertonians were wild, cocky, self righteous and desperate to win, they as a collective had an overwhelming will to win. They clambered everywhere, they had most of the ground. A nasty intimidating atmosphere they generated giving the whole day a sinister edginess that stays with me. The desperation, the pushing and the crushing, the vitriol of it all, the days where the seeds of disasters were planted. 

Gary Megsons despair, Mel Sterlands tears. My tears. The wonder of seeing it back on TV later....what did it look like on TV? What did they say? 

A deep cross back towards the far post a yellow shirt nodded it back in to danger and all I could see was Lee Chapman ghosting across my line of sight as the ball glided in to the corner. The mountain tumbled down and delirious faces scaled the fences at the bottom of it. I didn’t know that Carl Shutt had nipped in to score a header. 

Sharp wrestled Sterland to a cross and it was over. They got their way and we resumed our usual position in football history. At least we had the World Cup to look forward to. And they were going to put a roof on the Kop in the Summer, just imagine....

• Like 3

Very disappointing result, but a great day out. My abiding memory however is not just about the game. I used to work with Carl Shutt's dad and he was sat a couple of rows in front of us for the match.  The pride and joy in his face when Carl equalised was a picture to behold. God bless.  

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Guest Bulgaria

I was right next to the fence separating us from the Everton fans on the holte end. All I can remember was finding a pair of glasses on the floor after we had scored.

If anyone is missing them, just PM me.

2 minutes ago, canyoujust said:

Losing to Brighton hurt more . Everton were best side I saw in 1980s , payed great football

Agree with both points here. Brighton were bang average, but there is always a story with the FACup, and that year it was that daft manager of theirs. Tha said, I thought the QF defeat to Coventry was a bigger dissapointment than either of these games. 

As for Everton, honestly think that's the best side I've seen, all things being equal. They were brilliant, and it was only their lovely neighbours that probably stopped them winning the European Cup a few times. They were a bogey side, but not in the truest sense of the word. Always thought in that era teams such as Coventry and Shrewsbury were the ones that had the Indian sign over us. Funnily enough, in that era, we were a bit of a bogey side for Liverpool.

Guest Bulgaria
10 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

copped off with with some old milf banged her ass off in the carpark and went back to her place,nicked her car next morning and drove back to sheff so had a happy ending

And they say romance is dead..

9 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

HolmeOwl and I were going together but we blobbed on ticketing. I was entitled to one for my shareholding but didn't apply due to us wanting to sit together. The queuers were entitled to two, I was on nights and Diane offered to join the queue when I finished work at 4 a.m.. Diane queued for 6 hours before the tickets ran out. I was philosophical about the situation as I wasn't a season ticket holder (Yeah Right). Still can't remember what happened but someone Andy (Holmeowl) knew finished up with two decent seats landing in our lap.

Lots happened that day none of which I seem to be able to recall, perhaps Andy will pick up on it when he's home.  

We actually ended up with a ticket among our fans, and one sat down in the Everton fans. Nev took the seat ticket, and started the match keeping his mouth firmly shut for obvious reasons, sat in the middle of 7000 scousers...so far so good.

Part way thru the first half Garry Thomson scored a 25 yard beauty at our end, but none of us cheeered cos he was way offside and the whistle had already blown. 120 yards away, in the midst of the Evertonians, Nev hadn’t heard the whistle, nor could he know Thomson was miles offside. He told me he lost the plot and shot up from his seat, arms raised, cheering his head off. 

If ever Nev goes on This is Your Life they will wheel on the linesman who saved his life.

• Haha 1

On 17/08/2018 at 22:15, BRADDO said:

Absolutely. I was 15 and stood with my older brother. When we scored I ended up 30 yards from where I had been standing. For part of that my feet were off the ground. I feckin shat myself. 

I remember at full time trying to get out and there being a big crush at the top of the stairs, remember panicking as I did not know where the top step was and the crush was so bad I had difficulty breathing. Match was very disappointing, thought we might do it when Shutt scored but Everton were just too good for us.