Your thoughts and memories of this match?

4 hours ago, vulva said:

Agree with both points here. Brighton were bang average, but there is always a story with the FACup, and that year it was that daft manager of theirs. Tha said, I thought the QF defeat to Coventry was a bigger dissapointment than either of these games. 

As for Everton, honestly think that's the best side I've seen, all things being equal. They were brilliant, and it was only their lovely neighbours that probably stopped them winning the European Cup a few times. They were a bogey side, but not in the truest sense of the word. Always thought in that era teams such as Coventry and Shrewsbury were the ones that had the Indian sign over us. Funnily enough, in that era, we were a bit of a bogey side for Liverpool.

I think that Everton side would have gone on to win the European cup but Heysel happened and English clubs got banned.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

We actually ended up with a ticket among our fans, and one sat down in the Everton fans. Nev took the seat ticket, and started the match keeping his mouth firmly shut for obvious reasons, sat in the middle of 7000 scousers...so far so good.

Part way thru the first half Garry Thomson scored a 25 yard beauty at our end, but none of us cheeered cos he was way offside and the whistle had already blown. 120 yards away, in the midst of the Evertonians, Nev hadn’t heard the whistle, nor could he know Thomson was miles offside. He told me he lost the plot and shot up from his seat, arms raised, cheering his head off. 

If ever Nev goes on This is Your Life they will wheel on the linesman who saved his life.

Bloody linesmen

• Haha 1