How to run a Football club ?

54 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

tOK, the more quality youth you can produce, the better.

And if a PL club comes in for one of them, fill your boots.

But in the end it's very difficult for the non-parachute clubs to compete with those who've just come down.

So invariably some flouting of the rules is de rigeur.

But you've got to know when to do it.

Get the right man in, then put your foot down as Wolves did.

It's fanciful to believe that you can do it "carefully".

And before anyone cites 'Udders to counter what I've written, well that was a fairy story.

How about Burnley or Brighton? They didn’t go for broke to do it.

And I’d have thought our wage bill last year will have been higher than Cardiff and Fulham

8 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

This is all blatantly the right way to run a football club.

I am sceptical it could work in the poisonous financial environment of English football though.  Everything is geared up for that massive poo-or-bust short term gamble for massive returns.

Depends what timescale you're prepared to give yourself for promotion

If we'd put it all in place when Chansiri arrived four years ago could we have hit promotion with this strategy?Impossible to say I guess

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, nilsson said:

How about Burnley or Brighton? They didn’t go for broke to do it.

And I’d have thought our wage bill last year will have been higher than Cardiff and Fulham

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnley was a few years ago now, though, and in Dyche they'd got a top bloke at the helm.

Brighton, 'Boro et al. did spend lavishly, but it paid off for them because they got the PL/Parachute cash.

I think it's a mixture which is needed, that is grow your own and complement that with real quality as Wolves did.

The point I made earlier is that if you're going to go for it and try to buy your way up, then you've really got to go for it.

Chansiri half-heartedly went for it, failed, and now we're under an embargo just the same.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Depends what timescale you're prepared to give yourself for promotion

If we'd put it all in place when Chansiri arrived four years ago could we have hit promotion with this strategy?Impossible to say I guess

And it's getting harder and harder by the year, so you don't want to hang around too long.

You can build a house with the materials found in people's skips, but it will take a lifetime to do it.

A couple of seasons ago Wolves weren't as good as us, but they brought in players which were patently too good for this division and went up.

Frankly, we may as well have done that because we're under an embargo now anyway.

If in doubt flout, but make sure you do it to the max.

This drip, drip, drip flouting doesn't work. :luhukay:

Football supporters love to hate/dislike the owner/chairman, it goes with the job, that applies to good, bad and indifferent ones. Most know nothing about football or running a football club, but by pontificating about things that they know zero about removes all doubt.

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnley was a few years ago now, though, and in Dyche they'd got a top bloke at the helm.

Brighton, 'Boro et al. did spend lavishly, but it paid off for them because they got the PL/Parachute cash.

I think it's a mixture which is needed, that is grow your own and complement that with real quality as Wolves did.

The point I made earlier is that if you're going to go for it and try to buy your way up, then you've really got to go for it.

Chansiri half-heartedly went for it, failed, and now we're under an embargo just the same.

I wouldn’t say it was half hearted... just mis-directed and badly managed.

1 hour ago, nilsson said:

I wouldn’t say it was half hearted... just mis-directed and badly managed.

Well, that too I guess, you're right.

But we didn't bring in the quality that Wolves did.

I never favoured that approach before, but I'm coming to the conclusion that it's the only way to beat this completely unfair system.

We should have gone for it two years ago when we ultimately finished fourth.

12 hours ago, Watson said:

Will you be implementing this model when you take over as Chairperson man of the club?  Good to see your researching possibilities to push the club forward.  

Its chairMAN  . Stop being politically correct. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sticky belly said:

How to run a football club. Blame the fans for your own financial mismanagement :duntmatter:

Let’s all buy into the VICTIM narrative - it’s as good as the blaming narrative. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The new model was based on long-term sustainability with a strong focus on harvesting talent at the academy, signing affordable players only, and revitalising players that didn’t succeed at other clubs and selling them for a profit.

Sounds good to me

Just like Barnsley