How to run a Football club ?

It's always good to hear about success stories of other clubs, things like that take a long time to implement and require the right people and a long term vision. I wouldn't expect us to turn into that sort of club overnight. 

I just find it pretty shocking that we've not really planned for this FFP eventuality. I wouldn't expect us to have a perfectly run club but am more than a bit disappointed that with all the money people have invested in the club as fans over the last 3-4 years it's been mismanaged and taken down this road of instability, embargos and potential crap or bust season. Actually part of this shock is that quite a lot of fans seem to sit back and accept that it's ok and that we 'had a go'. When clearly you can see that the case studies and models for successful and sustainability is there whether you look at long term projects overseas like Levante or other clubs in similar situations in the Championship. Derby, Middlesbrough, Leeds, Bristol City etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Just all the relentless negative trolling I'm reading is getting exhausting mate

I think people need to wipe clean things before January 2018. In January we got a new CEO and a new manager.

Since then positives are:

Jos starting playing youngsters

Jos getting best out of Nuhiu and good finish to the season

Good performance in the derby and Reach nearly won it.

Kit issues solved and both look good and are on sale

Negatives:

Ticket prices still high

Poor communication about FFP and Embargo until the Fan forum

All in all not that bad since Jan.

Before Jan yes a catalogue of problems caused by others and Chansiri. But things are different now and Chansiri is learning so lets just see how it goes from now.

Chansiri's model wasn;t entirely bob, though.

The reason being that he attempted to get his grasping hands on the PL money, and you'd be hard-pressed to find any business model which trumps those returns.

The problem isn't that he went for it, it's that he didn't go for it enough.

He sort of half-heartedly went for it, not a full-blooded assault as did Wolves.

A miss is as good as a mile.

8 minutes ago, owlmanc said:

I wouldn’t trust Chansiri to run a bath 

The problem is that Chansiri has no experience, or at the very least he hadn't.

That means that he didn't know when to stick or to twist.

Carlos was finished as our players trudged off the field having lost the shoot-out, but Chansiri took an "if at first you don't succeed" attitude, which doesn't work in football.

The time to really go for it was in his second full season, a la Wolves, but his response was relatively meek.

Most non-parachute clubs have to flout FFP to go up; it's just about recognizing when to do it, and that's based on experience.

Experience that Chansiri didn't have,

Guest Hillsborough Mole
2 hours ago, Watson said:

Will you be implementing this model when you take over as Chairperson of the club?  Good to see your researching possibilities to push the club forward.  

I love flippant responses like this

Lets be honest. Could anybody on here have done worse right now? (excluding PG Metcalfe obvs)

2 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I love flippant responses like this

Lets be honest. Could anybody on here have done worse right now? (excluding PG Metcalfe obvs)

Why is it flippant?  He would make an excellent chairperson he could front a fans takeover. He has hundreds of contacts, is well regarded, already this morning he has put forward some excellent ideas for the megastore.  Has a good knowledge of publicity, media and has a good grasp of the fans needs.  Certainly has the passion, just needs @Rickygoo at his side for the financial side of things, @Lord Snooty for the tactics.

Sometimes the answer is staring right at you.

Guest addedtime

Sorry for the negativity, but what has it achieved in terms of football achievements? I don't honestly know, have they just bumbled along in midtable like we were prior to DC?

55 minutes ago, Watson said:

Why is it flippant?  He would make an excellent chairperson he could front a fans takeover. He has hundreds of contacts, is well regarded, already this morning he has put forward some excellent ideas for the megastore.  Has a good knowledge of publicity, media and has a good grasp of the fans needs.  Certainly has the passion, just needs @Rickygoo at his side for the financial side of things, @Lord Snooty for the tactics.

Sometimes the answer is staring right at you.

Don't get me involved because of a 6 year accountancy career a quarter of a century ago. I have a grasp of the basics but I left it because I hated it.

@mkowl is your man if he can curb his more extreme political instincts and not bring the club into disrepute!

:carlos:

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Don't get me involved because of a 6 year accountancy career a quarter of a century ago. I have a grasp of the basics but I left it because I hated it.

@mkowl is your man if he can curb his more extreme political instincts and not bring the club into disrepute!

:carlos:

You are the man, get your accountancy books out, booking you a meeting with Neil in the Wednesday Tap next Monday at 8 pm.  Don't be late.

tOK, the more quality youth you can produce, the better.

And if a PL club comes in for one of them, fill your boots.

But in the end it's very difficult for the non-parachute clubs to compete with those who've just come down.

So invariably some flouting of the rules is de rigeur.

But you've got to know when to do it.

Get the right man in, then put your foot down as Wolves did.

It's fanciful to believe that you can do it "carefully".

And before anyone cites 'Udders to counter what I've written, well that was a fairy story.

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

This is not only a model for football clubs, but one for small companies, families and individuals. Not every club can sign Messi, Ronaldo or Bale and not every individual can drive a Bentley or live in a luxury villa. But Levante UD have proven that we can all be happy and successful by remembering our roots and staying true to our means.

That's a tad unfair.