van Aken

We cannot be effective with 352. Yesterday we had Tom Lees at the right side and he's left footed. That's the wrong side. It's easy to get around a left footed centre back playing out of position

Van aken is being made to look bad by beings alongside pudl, who is hopeless and Lees who is out of position. 

We are vulnerable to the ball over the top on both flanks because of the 352 formation. It's fundamental football tactics and our manager does not understand it. 

The only effective formation we can have is 442 or 4411. This is becewe haven't the players to use any other formation. 

Wigan tore us apart because of our formation. We'll, there's other reasons too. We have hopeless carthorses running around chasing the ball and kicking anyone and everyone. 

VA Must be played properly or he will look as stupid as the carthorsey. Same goes for Tom Lees. 

I kind of feel sorry for them but when they earn more in a week than I get in a year or two I don't feel sorry for them. 

15 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

We cannot be effective with 352. Yesterday we had Tom Lees at the right side and he's left footed. That's the wrong side. It's easy to get around a left footed centre back playing out of position

Van aken is being made to look bad by beings alongside pudl, who is hopeless and Lees who is out of position. 

We are vulnerable to the ball over the top on both flanks because of the 352 formation. It's fundamental football tactics and our manager does not understand it. 

The only effective formation we can have is 442 or 4411. This is becewe haven't the players to use any other formation. 

Wigan tore us apart because of our formation. We'll, there's other reasons too. We have hopeless carthorses running around chasing the ball and kicking anyone and everyone. 

VA Must be played properly or he will look as stupid as the carthorsey. Same goes for Tom Lees. 

I kind of feel sorry for them but when they earn more in a week than I get in a year or two I don't feel sorry for them. 

Wasnt very long ago that folk on here were hammering Carlos for 442.

9 hours ago, ka58 said:

The defending by the whole team was pathetic really - their goals come from clearances where no one can be arsed to make the second ball.

unorganised mess.

And I think this is the key thing. JVA was awful. This cannot be denied. But their goals came for the most part from the defence scrambling it away and it coming straight back under no pressure. We cannot ever see a midfield two of Joey and hutch. Doesn't work.

Dutch football doesn’t have the intensity or physicality and I was initially concerned about this. I thought his first couple of games were decent bar the odd mid timed lunge but the derby seemed to destroy his confidence. He mustn’t have got that back yet. 

He’s also very exposed as the central defender. He needs to be the one dealing with everything. First goal yesterday Lees was tracking the winger and JVA hashed the header. Had it been Hutchinson tracking at RCB with Lees in the middle it would’ve been a different outcome. JVA may get more confidence from playing on the left of the three. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Wasnt very long ago that folk on here were hammering Carlos for 442.

I think our best formation to suit this squad would be 4231. It might make it dull but it would protect a sub standard defence with both full backs and two cm/cams (if necessary). 

A lot of our attackers are more suited to playing slightly wider or behind a bigger striker too. I think joao, FF and Hooper would thrive in that three behind a Fletcher or Nuhiu.

• Like 1

He was poor for all 3 goals, shocking defender.

Weak header for 1st, missed header for 2nd and ball watching for 3rd, never even looked for danger as their goalscorer cruised in to dawsons parry.

Not progressed since his horror show vs pigs, horrific signing

33 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

Hutch Lees Pudil

so blatantly obvious what our strongest back 3 is 

Most managers like their ball player to play in the middle of a 3. That’s why JVA played in the middle then Hutch was in the middle in the second half.

I agree that Lees, Hutch and Pudil should be our back 3 should we continue with that system. Van Aken terrifies me. Defensively, he has so much to learn.

2 minutes ago, Davetherave said:

Freddy V .... £800 K  ... I could weep.

You just can’t get your head around it. We sign Van Aken for £4m and we don’t do a deal for Venancio for £800k.

Just another huge error/mistake to add to a huge list over the last 2 years or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoop said:

One of the most disappointing things for me yesterday was that this lad still looks like he’s unable to step up

I’m prepared to give him a chance. Definitely in the minority I know.

Before his injury last season he looked like a cultured centre half - one that we needed. He then missed 1/2 the season and after his abysmal display against Sheff Utd - it’s all gone wrong. 

Give him a couple of games to start to familiarise himself this season. New system and a new manager - to me, he has the attributes to be a good CB (tall, fairly strong, can tackle) he just needs to learn to be more aggressive and be more aware positionally -  which will hopefully come with coaching and playing time. 

Van Aken - Lees - Hutchinson is how we should line up. 

• Like 1

From what I remember going to a back 3 was borne out of necessity due to injuries but we keep playing the system despite not having the players to suit it.

go to a back 4 and play one of lees hutch or pudil as cb’s. 

The full backs can just concentrate on defending and will be less exposed.

start from there and we have players who will get goals further up the pitch. 

22 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

You just can’t get your head around it. We sign Van Aken for £4m and we don’t do a deal for Venancio for £800k.

Just another huge error/mistake to add to a huge list over the last 2 years or so.

We weren't allowed to sign Venancio. We wanted him. 

I’m not convinced he cost 4m euros or at least not up front otherwise we’d have bought domestically. 

We really lack height in there which is why, although I’d have him now, I thought we’d be better off looking at others ahead of Venancio. Plymouth’s Sonny Bradley being an example of a cheap gamble on a free but it’s all a moot point if we weren’t allowed to sign anyone.