van Aken

12 minutes ago, BingleyOwl said:

Probably already covered. 

But, one thing. Who is this guy? Was he Tony Crane in disguise? My days.

Discuss.

Worst defender in league by a mile 

£4m on this donkey and now we are under an embargo.... if it took us scouting 200 defenders before we found him I dread to think how bad number 199 was.

Today Van Aken showed why he is completely out of his depth at this level although in all fairness he was only marginally worse than Palmer and Pelupessey.

He was one last season you kept hoping with time he would improve but for a lad his size his strength is awful, he can't defend at all, gets turned in and out by most oppostion. He might unlock the odd great Hollywood ball or exquisite pass but overall it's just another example of Clueless Carlos and The Dictators hopeless recruitment policy. 

• Like 1

I was sat in the home today and was embarrassed every time he failed a tackle or shanked a clearance straight to one of their players. He looked like how I used to feel when it was my first pre season friendly. Knackered, overweight and not able to judge a pass or speed of the ball.

Before his injury, he had a couple of games where he looked pretty good. But for the most part he has shown a level of competency in the position that is hard to believe.

i have said before, central defending is so much about balance and drive, and being trained how to shift the weight of your body quickly to win headers, to push up for offside, to track back etc. To do that the drive off the correct  foot is crucial and I can’t recall seeing a player with such significant issues with that basic part of the game.

He looks ‘flat footed’ constantly because of this. He must be a nightmare to play with as you just can’t read him like other centre back partners. 

There is a player there but we will need to really work with him hard and get this sorted. lees isn’t an especially clever  centre back and was made to look good by Loovens for 3 years until big Glenn ran out of gas last season. 

We must get hutch back there.

19 minutes ago, mike312 said:

Van Aken 4 million, Vanancio 1.8 million. That is all.

Venancio went to Vitoria SC for 500k! and some numpties on here thought he wasn't worth it and that we could get better.

Unbelievable. 

JVA is a shambles by the way...

Can’t see him ever turning into a good championship centre.

Too slow, can’t turn, not strong enough.

I’m not fussed if he can ping a 50 yard ball out to the wing back every so often. I could do that under no pressure.