van Aken

12 hours ago, Shifty Powers said:

I’m prepared to give him a chance. Definitely in the minority I know.

Before his injury last season he looked like a cultured centre half - one that we needed. He then missed 1/2 the season and after his abysmal display against Sheff Utd - it’s all gone wrong. 

Give him a couple of games to start to familiarise himself this season. New system and a new manager - to me, he has the attributes to be a good CB (tall, fairly strong, can tackle) he just needs to learn to be more aggressive and be more aware positionally -  which will hopefully come with coaching and playing time. 

Van Aken - Lees - Hutchinson is how we should line up. 

This lad V A's "abysmal display" at home to the blades was purely down to the

incompetence of CC.

A young inexperienced footballer at Championship football in his first local derby with only 

Reach for help at left back .... do me a favour.  The lad wondered what had hit him ... and still does.

Didn't take Wilder long to spot the weakness.

At that point CC should have been shown the door ... and this after being taken in by him myself

I am ashamed to admit.  He was probably having dinner with the Swansea chairman in any case.

This lad came out of the blocks for his first 2 games, before that tw@t's influence, looking

like another Paul Warhurst.

Massive shame he is in the form he is in and the criticism he is getting.

When he first arrived he looked like Paul Warhurst pinging 40 yard balls around the pitch for fun. But it didn't take long for the opposition to figure out his major weakness; he can't defend.

His confidence is shattered and playing him in a back three just leaves him totally exposed. On Saturday he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights and you'd have thought Jos had told him the formation and his responsibilities 5 minutes before kick-off with how many times he was caught out of position.

What worries me more is that we've had all pre-season to address his defensive weaknesses and he was making the same errors I saw him making last season. What have our coaches done with him all summer? 

I was pinning my hopes on him coming good this season and I hope this is still the case, but if Jos uses him in a back three again then you might as well send him to the firing squad because the fans will turn on him.

He’s a liability in central defence. With his passing ability he would be more suited taking the role of Pelupessy. He adds height for set pieces, even though he might not be the best header of the ball.

Watching Pelupessy he’s a few seconds behind reading the game and his outlet pass is normally Bannan.

I think Van Aken would be better in that defensive midfield role. Better than Jones and Pelupessy anyway. Or put Hutchinson back in there.

16 minutes ago, Northanstonowl said:

He’s a liability in central defence. With his passing ability he would be more suited taking the role of Pelupessy. He adds height for set pieces, even though he might not be the best header of the ball.

Watching Pelupessy he’s a few seconds behind reading the game and his outlet pass is normally Bannan.

I think Van Aken would be better in that defensive midfield role. Better than Jones and Pelupessy anyway. Or put Hutchinson back in there.

Beat me to it... He should swap places with Hutchinson and play alongside Bannan, Joey and Lee in midfield.

That doesn't really solve the problem that we are still one good defender down. If only we had kept hold of The Fred...

1 hour ago, Kanye West said:

Just me that didn't think he was actually that bad Saturday then?

Comparing him to the other defenders, I lost count how many times Pudil gave the ball away in the first half.

Thought he was doing ok, few times his tackles/interceptions looked crucial. I think he’ll get better and probably needs greater support both from fans and also teammates. Few times he looked out of position on Saturday with huge gaps between him and Pudil/Lees, but hard to say if it’s him or them at fault. 

2 hours ago, Northanstonowl said:

Spot on, still think he is a good player and will come good. Pretty much the whole defence was exposed on Saturday time and time again, Did none of the midfielders or Jos think about making changes to proved cover. Yes he made a mistake but castigating him will not help. Do think a midfield role could be his final position.

It looks like it's JVA turn for all the criticism just like reach, Palmer etc  would be good to be supportive of a young player for a change.