Was it more enjoyable...

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
Just now, @owlstalk said:

I always ended up reading stuff on sport I had no interest in like fishing

lol

And always got ink on my fingers from reading it

Happy days. Seriously!

Preferred it when you had to try your look at the nearest car park at night to find some action ,these days you can watch gimp muckfilm on your own laptop right at home

So I've heard :ph34r:

Edited by welsOwl74

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

On a serious note I wonder if the staff at the green paper factory lost their jobs when the Green Un closed and stopped ordering it?

Would have been Sheffield Star printing staff at the Star Building in the city centre.

Guess with automation and the internet not that many are employed anymore sadly.

You used to look forward to buying and reading the Green 'Un and read every word. You simply browse through internet topics hoping to find some sensible comment somewhere. Its some of the dross you have to wade through that gets me, like endless , unnecessary George Hirst threads:mad:

Football was a lot simpler and more enjoyable pre-internet.

Not saying it was any better though.  

I once travelled to Blackburn only to find the game was postponed.   Then, another day, to Highbury only to find it was all ticket and they wouldn't let me in.  Same at Notts County once.  

And I've twice been to matches on my own and watched the game conscientiously but popped off for a leak for 3-4 minutes.  Went home thinking both games ended 0-0 and only found out when I read next day's papers that I'd missed the winner.

And drove once all way to Watford in torrential rain.  Stopped at every service station to ring wife to see if it had been called off.  She was under strict instructions to have her ears glued to Radio Sheffield, even though reception is dodgy in North Lincolnshire.

So modern scoreboards and internet are useful.   But they do fuel discontent.   You'd get the odd angry letter in the Green 'Un but they used to edit comments.  You couldn't say Bloggs was a useless pr1ck.  

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Clubcall anyone?

Only £1 a minute

My Clubcall debt has ruined my life, can't get credit can't get a mortgage , Owlstalk has been my salvation in such dark times , shame my iPad is from Brighthouse and has cost me 8 grand so far, only another 7 years payments though now .

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I always ended up reading stuff on sport I had no interest in like fishing

lol

And always got ink on my fingers from reading it

Was it cuttlefish you were reading about.:ph34r:

Just asking for a friend.WTF:

Edited by Hughthecone
  • Haha 2

Definitely better pre Internet. 

There was also so much more time to do other things, instead of logging into Owlstalk every 20 minutes. The whole country was more productive, work actually got done. 

And there was far more live football. Nowadays half the fans spend most of their time glued to their mobile during matches giving live reports, slagging off anything and everyone on twitter, or videoing large chunks so their mates can watch parkinson shake mass brawls. 

They never see a game, they have to watch the highlights online. 

I agree with what your saying but I think it's more to do with the fact we've got money now (can't spend it though) and 2 out of the past 3 seasons we've finished in the playoffs, 

that has cranked up expectations drastically but as you, myself and most people on here knows, we've been cack for pretty much 80% of the last two decades!

Mansfield the other day was horrific, and I'm not even talking about the players, the ref or the game!

The fans from minute one were on the players backs, screaming at players like hutch to dive into tackles to the point of him turning around and telling them to fizz off, in a friendly and with the issues he's had with his knees he'd be stupid to take such a risk in a nothing game two weeks before the season starts. 

Fox didn't really do much wrong but I've still seen people give him a lower rating than palmer who struggled to beat a man all game all cos he's the scapegoat! 

as for Nuhiu... his goals were a major factor for us staying in the league last season but people are already on his back cos he hit the crossbar and didn't score.

and it's not just wednesday fans it's football fans in general.

sucess has to be NOW and if it doesn't go to plan theirs no supporting just calls for change or someone to blame! (Arsene last season for example)

Had a bloke in front of me at Mansfield calling for Jos's head cos he didn't make any subs! You saw the bench on Tuesday?! Full of kids would you of let the kids play against at team as rough as Mansfield they would of been smashed to pieces with no protection from the referee.

Sorry going off on a rant now :carlos:

in conclusion the internet is the best and worst invention in football! 

lol 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The internet is what you make of it

If you go looking for negatives you can easily find them

If you see a negative, laugh at it and move on then the whole experience is way more enjoyable

This pre-season everyone's lost the plot so much that it's now just hilarious watching people screaming about a total non event at Mansfield etc

Just relax, ignore the negatives, and enjoy yourself

Stick to the funny threads and life's way better

I bet this is what Wednesday do

''there seem to be a lot of negatives around our £100 shirt and £46.00 tickets''

''Just laugh it off!!''