Was it more enjoyable...

being a Wednesday fan pre-internet?

The reason I ask is because, to me, a very positive person, there seems to be a real air of negativity surrounding the club, the fans etc even before a ball is kicked for the new season. 

Is this fueled by social media/the internet? It’s so easy now to complain about kits, ticket prices, lack of signings etc negative rumours being spread about injuries, players wanting to leave etc 

The internet makes players more accessible especially via social media.Whereas before the only way you heard a players thoughts and opinions was via the newspapers. Players couldn’t be contacted ‘directly’as they can be today.

I think as a fan I feel more ‘connected’ to the club, but sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Was it more enjoyable being an Owl when we only heard about the club via The Star/Green’un and by ringing Clubcall? Did it keep a lot of the negativity at bay? 

Edited by Tudders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It was but that was because for the majority of my time from early 80s we was fairly successful, any arguments or negativity in between games was confined to your group of mates either in the playground or the pub depending on your age  or if you was really angry the letters page in the Green un 

Definitely pre internet I was a much happier fan when I only had the few opinions of my mates to cope with, now you can have 50 different opinions thrown in your face, most likely 5 you half agree with, 10 you definitely don’t and the other 35 leave you questioning the sanity of the world, for me the internet whilst a wonderful thing should definitely carry a health warning 

• Haha 1

The internet is what you make of it

If you go looking for negatives you can easily find them

If you see a negative, laugh at it and move on then the whole experience is way more enjoyable

This pre-season everyone's lost the plot so much that it's now just hilarious watching people screaming about a total non event at Mansfield etc

Just relax, ignore the negatives, and enjoy yourself

Stick to the funny threads and life's way better

Owlstalk Shop

Miserable Fart Alert but Football as a whole was better pre internet days.

Tickets were cheaper

No constant changing of kick off times

No players refusing to play for £20k per week because a team mate gets more

People owning clubs with no real feel for the local area or the people who come and watch.

Nowhere near as much gamesmanship and you got proper blood and thunder games.

I am looking back with rose tinted but feel in last few years football has sold out (Including Wednesday).

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
Just now, @owlstalk said:

The internet is what you make of it

If you go looking for negatives you can easily find them

If you see a negative, laugh at it and move on then the whole experience is way more enjoyable

This pre-season everyone's lost the plot so much that it's now just hilarious watching people screaming about a total non event at Mansfield etc

Just relax, ignore the negatives, and enjoy yourself

Stick to the funny threads and life's way better

Sage words but in answer to the core question, for me personally,  the days of the Green 'Un etc held more magic. We have to move with the times though.

Just now, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Sage words but in answer to the core question, for me personally,  the days of the Green 'Un etc held more magic. We have to move with the times though.

I used to like the letters

It was like the internet when it used to be 33k download

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, Tudders said:

being a Wednesday fan pre-internet?

The reason I ask is because, to me, a very positive person, there seems to be a real air of negativity surrounding the club, the fans etc even before a ball is kicked for the new season. 

Is this fueled by social media/the internet? It’s so easy now to complain about kits, ticket prices, lack of signings etc negative rumours being spread about injuries, players wanting to leave etc 

The internet makes players more accessible especially via social media.Whereas before the only way you heard a players thoughts and opinions was via the newspapers. Players couldn’t be contacted ‘directly’as they can be today.

I think as a fan I feel more ‘connected’ to the club, but sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Was it more enjoyable being an Owl when we only heard about the club via The Star/Green’un and by ringing Clubcall? Did it keep a lot of the negativity at bay? 

No not at all

Owlstalk and suchlike has given fans a platform to vent their feelings with other fans and I think it's s great thing ....pre internet you couldn't find anything out at all and solely relied on newspapers and the local radio.

We use to make the national papers in the 80s & 90s on a regular basis. Throughout the summer, when you were on your two weeks' holiday abroad, you had to wait for the previous day's paper to get updated on transfer gossip. As this was written and printed the previous day, it was over 48 hrs before you got updated. The other option was to queue at the phone kiosk at the end of the road trying to get a connection to your Dad - 'can't hear yer'

When you had someone who'd just arrived, it was like getting provisions off the rescue ship on some desert island.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Miserable Fart Alert but Football as a whole was better pre internet days.

Tickets were cheaper

No constant changing of kick off times

No players refusing to play for £20k per week because a team mate gets more

People owning clubs with no real feel for the local area or the people who come and watch.

Nowhere near as much gamesmanship and you got proper blood and thunder games.

I am looking back with rose tinted but feel in last few years football has sold out (Including Wednesday).

Agreed. Unfortunately there will inevitably be a reckoning eventually from a financial perspective IMO.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I used to like the letters

It was like the internet when it used to be 33k download

Yeah remember the super, duper 256k broadband.

As an oldie, growing up before we had calculators never mind computers and the internet ( ahhhhhh, who can forget the beloved slide rule and log tables), I have to say the internet is great - just remember - believe nothing anyone tells you, and only half what you see.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Clubcall anyone?

Only £1 a minute

Exactly, Green Un  far more enjoyable.