Was it more enjoyable...

On 27/07/2018 at 12:12, bigash_swfc said:

I think Social Media is "giving everyone a voice"

And giving everyone a voice, makes this the "reality era" 

I think it was Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong who lamented social media making everyone think they were the star of their own little show and wondering what the impact was on that individuals' perception of themselves in the wider world. When I see the endless succession of 10 year old's holding forth on YouTube about things they are hopelessly under-qualified to talk about, including football, I can't help but think of those implications of ego and entitlement he was alluding to. 

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I think it was Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong who lamented social media making everyone think they were the star of their own little show and wondering what the impact was on that individuals' perception of themselves in the wider world. When I see the endless succession of 10 year old's holding forth on YouTube about things they are hopelessly under-qualified to talk about, including football, I can't help but think of those implications of ego and entitlement he was alluding to. 

It's an interesting view and I could talk about it alot, I love psychology and social experiments.

1 minute ago, bigash_swfc said:

It's an interesting view and I could talk about it alot, I love psychology and social experiments.

I don't want to portray myself as some sort of psycho :ph34r: :blush:, but in the last few days I've watched documentaries about Peter Sutcliffe, Ed Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer because of a similar fascination for psychology.

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:08, Lincs Owl said:

Football was a lot simpler and more enjoyable pre-internet.

Not saying it was any better though.  

I once travelled to Blackburn only to find the game was postponed.   Then, another day, to Highbury only to find it was all ticket and they wouldn't let me in.  Same at Notts County once.  

And I've twice been to matches on my own and watched the game conscientiously but popped off for a leak for 3-4 minutes.  Went home thinking both games ended 0-0 and only found out when I read next day's papers that I'd missed the winner.

And drove once all way to Watford in torrential rain.  Stopped at every service station to ring wife to see if it had been called off.  She was under strict instructions to have her ears glued to Radio Sheffield, even though reception is dodgy in North Lincolnshire.

So modern scoreboards and internet are useful.   But they do fuel discontent.   You'd get the odd angry letter in the Green 'Un but they used to edit comments.  You couldn't say Bloggs was a useless pr1ck.  

I went to blackburn  , got into the railway station there to be met with newspaper placard saying "rovers game off"...….be around 1965 ish ...same game ?