Westwood linked with stoke

8 minutes ago, Lichfield alien said:

Exactamondo..the nuggets screamin ‘cash in’ etc don’t realise is fee will be chicken feed...it’s not worth it 

I don't think the club have much choice as they need to get the wage bill down and get in what they can on fees......it makes sense to cash in any player who's in the last year of there contracts .I cant think of many clubs who let there best players leave for free but if we don't start shifting some of them out then we'll be losing a shed load come next summer . for a club that's losing around a million quid a month it's a no brainer that we have to sell if we can . 

5 hours ago, vulva said:

Would be very surprised if Westwood is still here at the end of the transfer window. 

5 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Premier League side Southampton and Stoke City are tracking Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Keiren Westwood as the Irishman nears the exit door at Hillsborough, according to The Daily Mail. 

The shot stopper was left out of Tuesday’s pre-season friendly with Mansfield Town, with manager Jos Luhukay signalling a knee injury as the reason for his exclusion.

However, the former Coventry City man took to social media to quickly dispel those rumours, saying: ‘I missed one training session last Thursday. I’m not injured and haven’t been all pre-season.”

It looks as if he club want the money whereas I would rather loan out Wildsmith.

But he is one of the saleable assets ie other clubs will pay money for him as he is quality,  but it is obviously a gamble for SWFC

4 minutes ago, victorturner said:

It looks as if he club want the money whereas I would rather loan out Wildsmith.

But he is one of the saleable assets ie other clubs will pay money for him as he is quality,  but it is obviously a gamble for SWFC

Loan out Westwood? That’s the worse of all outcomes...either sell him or keep him :picnic:

1 hour ago, TINKERBELL said:

Can see your point definitely, but you only get better with experience and it could be a good time for them now.

I'm not expecting a promotion push this season,if that happens then great 

Yes but let's at least start with ambition to be on top 6 as a minimum.

2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I like Westwood but in our predicament we'd be daft not to sell if we can get a good fee for him, especially at his age.

The money raised could well enable us to "become" a CB, as Jos would say.

And then we'll have a better plough. :luhukay:

4 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Which is good money. Considering his wages and no need to replace. 

It was good money in the 1980's 

We don't have many salable assets left, so anymore sales need to make a decent dent in the FFP deficit 

Otherwise, we still won't be able to bring bodies, after we've sold everybody 

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

Anyone who advocates selling our (and the Championships) best goalkeeper is either

1. A moron

2. Has never seen him play

Just now, REDAs_biG_piECE said:

Anyone who advocates selling our (and the Championships) best goalkeeper is either

1. A moron

Really, its as black and white as that is it ? 

Perhaps you should remind ya self that finances are a bit tricky at the moment. 

Yours Sincerely

Moron

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, REDAs_biG_piECE said:

1. A moron

Interesting thoughts from the visionary, RedasBigpiece. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Really, its as black and white as that is it ? 

Perhaps you should remind ya self that finances are a bit tricky at the moment. 

Yours Sincerely

Moron

...and the amount of times he gets injured every season...

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

Top goalkeepers need more than being good shot stoppers and being 'a Wednesdayite' and it's something you can't coach

our Kieran has it

last one who did was Bywater

Cameron looks like he might have it

Wildsmith most certainly does not (looks a lovely lad tho and pulls off some decent saves)

1 minute ago, lincolnowl said:

Am I allowed to say that neither Dawson or Wildsmith convince me and I’d be worried if they were our only options? 

Young players always have a mistake in them, it's part and parcel of developing young players, but both did very well last season. 

Perfectly adequate for a mid table team

7 minutes ago, lincolnowl said:

Am I allowed to say that neither Dawson or Wildsmith convince me and I’d be worried if they were our only options? 

You are

Even more pertinent is that nobody knows how these keepers would fare at Hillsborough if were were constantly under pressure to get results week in week out and not achieving that

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, REDAs_biG_piECE said:

1. A moron

Judging from your user name , I’m guessing sensible debate isn’t your strong point but here goes . 

Westwood is 33 , always injured even when he plays (this concept seems to completely confuse some on here and  in no doubt I’m about to get his appearance stats for the last 4 years ) when he did play last season he was poor and the worst of our 3 keepers . His kicking is dire (again no doubt due to injuries ) only a ‘moron’ wouldn’t try and shift him off the wage bill