Westwood linked with stoke

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

What would you class as reasonable money though.

The bigger picture at the moment includes an unsettled defence with no leader. Putting a promising, but as yet unproven for any period of time goalkeeper under the pressure of a long run in the team, behind our defence could cost us more than not selling a top keeper for a couple of million. 

£2m would be great business IMO.

That would take more pressure of FFP issues - which are a reality we have to accept - the chairman went for it and that strategy failed.

Wildsmith/Dawson will do a job for us.

Westwood leaving would help open up the chance to loan or buy a CB or wing back which ideally we need. 

The alternative is more FFP pressure and the player leaving for free at the end of the season. We just cant afford to let that happen if we want a long term sustainable position.

Said it before but to me it makes no sense to sell him unless we absolutely have to. I would imagine he’s on 20k to 25k a week or thereabouts. If we sell him I honestly think we would be looking at a jack hunt type fee about £1.5 million, which let’s face it isn’t a lot these days is it.

if we can let’s keep him for this year, he’s still one of the best keepers around at this level. Wildsmith and Dawson are promising but let’s not kid ourselves they are not at Westwood’s level. For me he’s worth another 10-12 points a season over the young lads. His appearance record is pretty good and I’ve no idea where this crock label has come from other than his injury last year. Let’s keep him while he’s still in his prime for a keeper just turning 33.

would be gutted if we sell him for £1 million or so.

1 minute ago, RichSheffWeds said:

£2m would be great business IMO.

That would take more pressure of FFP issues - which are a reality we have to accept - the chairman went for it and that strategy failed.

Wildsmith/Dawson will do a job for us.

Westwood leaving would help open up the chance to loan or buy a CB or wing back which ideally we need. 

The alternative is more FFP pressure and the player leaving for free at the end of the season. We just cant afford to let that happen if we want a long term sustainable position.

I don't necessarily disagree but my problem is that Wildsmith or Dawson could do a job rather than having the certainty that they will do a job over the season. If things start badly and we are under pressure then we have a rookie keeper and a defence with no leader losing all confidence. 

If we shift Westwood and make room financially for a wing-back and a CB or a midfielder with goal-scoring potential which would allow Reach to play wing-back then fair enough but if moving Westwood on only makes room for 1 of these we are just shuffling the deckchairs.

It shouldn't have come to this. If, as seems highly probable, we need to move Westwood or someone else significant on to get anyone else in then we should have looked to do this as soon as possible, not less than a week before kick-off. 

He's off. 

Last year of his deal and naff all chance of us renewing him on the same terms. 

In an ideal world, he stays...but if an offer comes in then we will have to sell.

Edited by SiJ

Our first aim has to be financial survival and none of us know what is needed to do that.

What we do know is that if we have to get some players out to balance the books then you have to have somebody wanting them.

If Westwood is wanted and it makes financial sense then we have to do it.

He is our best goalkeeper.

He is fragile,  picks up a lot of knocks and has done throughout his career.

If money wasn’t an issue you would keep him but it looks like it is. 

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You got less 'abuse' for calling him out than you were giving a young keeper for his performances. I have always wanted to keep Westwood but the way you got at Wildsmith was unjust at times. 

How was it unjust? If anything it’s proven to be a completely just opinion. How many people on here would still back him as the clear #1?

All I said was he makes way too many mistakes to be our #1 and needs to go out on loan. Going against the grain of him outstanding and could do no wrong

Thats not abuse.

Whilst you and all your fanboys were taking potshots Wildsmith was continuing to make big error after error.

Edited by McRightSide

18 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

How was it unjust? If anything it’s proven to be a completely just opinion. How many people on here would still back him as the clear #1?

All I said was he makes way too many mistakes to be our #1 and needs to go out on loan. Going against the grain of him outstanding and could do no wrong

Thats not abuse.

Whilst you and all your fanboys were taking potshots Wildsmith was continuing to make big error after error.

You claimed you received abuse for your statements - what abuse did you receive? All people said was get off his back and give him a chance, he's a young keeper thrust into a 1st-choice role at a difficult time.

Not sure I am a fan boy???!!!!! always preferred Westwood but he also made some big errors last season. Wildsmith is what he is, an understudy who had some very good games and struggled in others - at a time when the team as a whole were struggling.

I never backed him as my clear number 1 so not sure why that is relevant to me. A recent Star poll had him ahead of Dawson which I found surprising.

55 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You claimed you received abuse for your statements - what abuse did you receive? All people said was get off his back and give him a chance, he's a young keeper thrust into a 1st-choice role at a difficult time.

Not sure I am a fan boy???!!!!! always preferred Westwood but he also made some big errors last season. Wildsmith is what he is, an understudy who had some very good games and struggled in others - at a time when the team as a whole were struggling.

I never backed him as my clear number 1 so not sure why that is relevant to me. A recent Star poll had him ahead of Dawson which I found surprising.

Yeah...that’s not what people said..

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Yeah...that’s not what people said..

Show me where I didn't say it given that I am such a 'fanboy'.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Thats not abuse.

How many testicles did westwood make before he got injured last year.beacause to me his kicking was garbage was nowhere near form of previous years

5 minutes ago, dan1980 said:

How many testicles did westwood make before he got injured last year.beacause to me his kicking was garbage was nowhere near form of previous years

As I said at the time, how many errors has Westwood made in his time with us? Wildsmith should make more, he’s a rookie, but he makes too many to be out #1 at the moment

And to use kicking in support of Wildsmith is quite comical.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

As I said at the time, how many errors has Westwood made in his time with us? Wildsmith should make more, he’s a rookie, but he makes too many to be out #1 at the moment

Problem is that there are concerns as to whether Westwood can stay fit and also whether he can get back to former standards. When played last season he was below his previous excellence.

Westwood is better than both of younguns but is he twice as good as either of them? As he’s likely earning twice each of their salaries if not twice the combined salaries. 

Now factor in that the last two times Westwood got down to the end of his contract he had us over a barrel, and rightly so at time. We had no alternatives and he had no injury history and was in team of seasons..... 

Fast forward a few years; we are low on cash and his contracts coming up for renewal/expiry. If he stays he costs us likely more than both his understudies, thornley, Baker and Neilson combined. ... we can’t continue hanging onto our stars, we took a chance on him, it paid off. Now we need to cash in and take a chance on the next Westwood, next Bannan, next Fessi...  if we continue to stockpile our aging stars on their second or third contract with us we are going to be carrying huge wage deficits and can forget signing anyone. If you can only lose 13m a season and that’s made up of just 5 good players how do you build the rest of your squad? 

24 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Not supporting anybody but if you watched westwood last season he was well below his previous form FACT

1 minute ago, trev said:

Without reading the whole thread, how much are we apparently getting/asking for him?

Having read the thread anything between letting him go on a free transfer and getting £3M+! WTF:

Westwood may have been playing with an injury like several of the players under Carlos. Hence poorer form. I always thought the spine of the team was the key to the good form of two or so years ago, now there are questions about Westwood and FF,  and without a decent cb next to him, Lees not the same and Glenn and Fred have gone. Worrying times.