ENGLAND 1 - 2 CROATIA | World Cup Semi Final | Matchday Thread

3 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

England and Wednesday are the same.a lot of bridesmaids costumes but not many bride 1s.

Watching England is like watching Wednesday without having to buy a ticket or getting stuck on Penistone Road on the way home. 

Edited by vulva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Watching England is like watching Wednesday without having to buy a ticket or getting stuck on Penistone Road on the way home. 

The only positive tonight is it didn’t cost me anything and I don’t have a two hour drive to get home.

I have to say Kyle Walker has been great throughout, Maguire excellent, Stones very steady, Young found wanting tonight, Alli, Sterling, Kane and Lingard very poor in open play tonight, Trippier has been another great contributor and Henderson worked his socks off as usual and the keeper Pickford was the right choice. It was always going to be a case of if they all played well they would win, but unfortunately there were some absentees tonight.

• Like 1

the kids did well to get there we had the chances to win it but blew it if I have learned anything in my 65 years watching and playing the game is take nothing for granted, fans media and uncle Tom cobley went way  over the top ,Hopefully if the team and manager stay together then we can build on this and see it through the next time around , the biggest +of the tournament for me is that Southgate didn't take Rooney lol 

• Like 1

The back 6, which includes Pickford, have been outstanding. What we lack is a superstar in the middle of the park. Henderson, Dier, Ali et al simply are not good enough at the very top level. 

Put a Modric, Pogba, Kante, Erikson, Countinho etc in this side, and it would transform it. 

13 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

The 3rd place game should be got fkd off too.its a game both teams really aint intrested in.

Disagree. It's a party and the players (of both teams) have earned it.

Always thought Southgate made a mistake not taking Shelvey or Wiltshire. 

We were woefully found out in that game. The system looked terrible and it needed to change but the changes didn't affect the overall tactic. 

All those back passes because there was no midfield to pass into. 

Southgate got owned. 

Reminded me of us after the first 45 mins. Never seen a team a sit so deep with potentially the most pace and attacking threat available. Why go 1/0 just to chill out ... we started with 3 at the back and finished with everyone else playing at the back apart from Kane the centre mid and who ever played along side him.

Edited by Animal

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
25 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

Are you high? Easiest route to a Semi, which we nearly cucked up. 

Semi, we do the usual England trick of trying to defend a 1-0 lead and get found out like every other time. 

No. 

They did us proud this tournament.

3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

We were woefully found out in that game. The system looked terrible and it needed to change but the changes didn't affect the overall tactic. 

Southgate got owned. 

Far too much passing back to the keeper..it’s spoiling football..the fooling keepers are having more touches than the outfield players

Just now, Lichfield alien said:

Far too much passing back to the keeper..it’s spoiling football..the fooling keepers are having more touches than the outfield players

Agreed. 

Pickford did OK for the most part but too many times he just blasted it. Also we were playing long ball again. 

No midfield. 

Such a disappointing display. 

33 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

Are you high? Easiest route to a Semi, which we nearly cucked up. 

Semi, we do the usual England trick of trying to defend a 1-0 lead and get found out like every other time. 

No easy teams in world cup knockout stages, that's the exact mentality that caused the 'golden generation' with Rooney, Gerrard, Terry etc to do nowt they couldn't even beat the USA. Sweden knocked out Italy in the playoffs, they all deserved to be there. England did well for a young team against a good team, Croatia were better in the end as we just lacked. The looking down on teams has been this countries downfall for decades. Croatia destoryed Argentina who were on the 'tough side'. 

• Like 1

I want walkers pace in the side.. 

I need trippiers set prices.... 

Let's put walker in as a cb???? GARATH NO, he's like a goldfish, Erm, what was I saying., oh yes squirrel. 

Simply put we got done by shoe Horning a rwb in as a centre back, any real cb would have been goal side and between ball and man when the cross came in. End of story. 

15 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Southgate got owned. 

Also felt that Shelvey would florish in this England's side.

Just now, shezzas left peg said:

I want walkers pace in the side.. 

I need trippiers set prices.... 

Let's put walker in as a cb???? GARATH NO, he's like a goldfish, Erm, what was I saying., oh yes squirrel. 

Simply put we got done by shoe Horning a rwb in as a centre back, any real cb would have been goal side and between ball and man when the cross came in. End of story. 

Walker was MOTM tonight. Our defence isn’t the issue. It’s our lack of creativity to break teams down and protect the ball that holds us back.

At 1-0 we should have kept the ball and picked them off. Instead we played 100 mph Sky Sports long ball togger. 

And that’s why we are playing the World Cup version of Johnny Quinn’s Allstars against Belgium on Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

Walker was MOTM tonight. Our defence isn’t the issue. It’s our lack of creativity to break teams down and protect the ball that holds us back.

At 1-0 we should have kept the ball and picked them off. Instead we played 100 mph Sky Sports long ball togger. 

And that’s why we are playing the World Cup version of Johnny Quinn’s Allstars against Belgium on Saturday. 

Walker's pace helped us out countless times..It was the system that failed us and the lack of a midfielder who can dictate play.

We looked amateurish overall after 20 minutes. Embarrassing performance in the end.