ENGLAND 1 - 2 CROATIA | World Cup Semi Final | Matchday Thread

8 minutes ago, vulva said:

Walker was MOTM tonight. Our defence isn’t the issue. It’s our lack of creativity to break teams down and protect the ball that holds us back.

At 1-0 we should have kept the ball and picked them off. Instead we played 100 mph Sky Sports long ball togger. 

And that’s why we are playing the World Cup version of Johnny Quinn’s Allstars against Belgium on Saturday. 

Yes a little naive, Croatia showed great composure. If Kane had buried his two chances in the first 30 tho it would have been game set match, fine margins and all in all cannot complain about this team. They showed us a lot more than previous England teams that were full of superstars. Also agree with another poster that shelvey could have been a good option tonight. We don't shoot from range enough either. 

Edited by dontCallMeOwlCallYou

Summery of England's tournament 

Progressed as far as anyone could expect, without beating any top tier teams

+ Pickford
+ Maguire
+ Stones
+ Trippier
+ Young
+ Henderson

- Alli
- Sterling
- Rashford

The invisible 3 behind Kane need to be ditched. It's too much work for Kane & Henderson too carry

The lack of anything tangible from Alli & Sterling isn't a hindsight thing ... They've done very little throughout their England careers 

38 minutes ago, vulva said:

Never ever will we get a better chance than that. Done well, very well, but blown it. Harsh reality is that we’ve lost to the first decent side we’ve played. 

Agreed. We've beaten the teams that we were expected to beat - Panama, Tunisia, Colombia, and Sweden - but lost when facing decent opponents in Belgium and Croatia.

That the nation's proud that we've managed to beat teams that we'd have otherwise been disgusted not to, just goes to show how starved of any kind of hope we've been over the past 20-odd years.

Still, this is where we are.

If we were to lose, the last thing I would've wanted from today's game was that I would say we got no more than we deserved, but sadly that is precisely how I feel. Ultimately, Croatia were braver. I don't see how any of us can feel pride in that.

11 minutes ago, cowl said:

Agreed. We've beaten the teams that we were expected to beat - Panama, Tunisia, Colombia, and Sweden - but lost when facing decent opponents in Belgium and Croatia.

That the nation's proud that we've managed to beat teams that we'd have otherwise been disgusted not to, just goes to show how starved of any kind of hope we've been over the past 20-odd years.

If we were to lose, the last thing I would've wanted from today's game was that I would say we got no more than we deserved, but sadly that is precisely how I feel. Ultimately, Croatia were braver. I don't see how any of us can feel pride in that.

How in god's name are we expected to beat Columbia and Sweden? Arrogant comment imo, Croatia deserved it tonight yea but could have been out to the sword in the first 30 mins. It was a good tournament performance, we have been starved of hope maybe, but have made up for it with plenty of arrogance. 

• Like 1

Not quite good enough, but very nearly.

You can’t miss the Kane chance (or slide across to Sterling) and fall asleep twice in your six yard box and expect to beat the likes of Croatia. Our players were not quite good enough at the highest level.

But some of you are being too harsh. The weakest set of players for years have got further and played better than the Beckhams, Shearers, Owens, Scoles, Coles, Lampards, Ferdinands, Terrys, Rooneys etc etc etc 

We should be happy to have reached our first semi in 28 years, and look forward with far more optimism for 2020.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cowl said:

We've been weaned on medicocrity or the last decade or so - sky sports sells a myth of english supremacy, but unfortunately at international level we are top 12 at best.

They bang on about these naive youngsters but they're all on at least £50K/week.

Happy that they made it this far but don't be fooled this was a platform for the future.

2 minutes ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

How in god's name are we expected to beat Columbia and Sweden? Arrogant comment imo, Croatia deserved it tonight yea but could have been out to the sword in the first 30 mins. It was a good tournament performance, we have been starved of hope maybe, but have made up for it with plenty of arrogance. 

Er...what? Arrogant? Are you on f*cking crack?

Would you seriously have accepted a loss to Sweden?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cowl said:

Er...what? Arrogant? Are you on f*cking crack?

Would you seriously have accepted a loss to Sweden?

Yes if they beat us I would have excepted the loss. Like Italy did when they beat them to get to the world cup. It's feels like reading some of the comments here that losing a world cup semi final by one goal in extra time makes a team useless.

21 minutes ago, cowl said:

I feel sorry for you if you can't take pride in this England side finishing 3rd/4th in the World Cup.

Finishing further than the likes of Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina etc is a massive achievement with such a young squad. They'll only get better too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kanye West said:

I feel sorry for you if you can't take pride in this England side finishing 3rd/4th in the World Cup.

Finishing further than the likes of Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina etc is a massive achievement with such a young squad. They'll only get better too.

Indeed, but being better than the worst Brazil/Germany/Spanish and Argentinian teams for decades is hardly a yardstick. 

Just now, Kanye West said:

And I feel sorry for you if you take pride in losing.

Three of those teams you mention there are teams we've lost to in the knockout stages of 98, 02, and 10. The other was Portugal in 06. All teams that there was a dignity at least in losing to.

There was nothing dignified in that defeat tonight.

7 minutes ago, cowl said:

And I feel sorry for you if you take pride in losing.

Three of those teams you mention there are teams we've lost to in the knockout stages of 98, 02, and 10. The other was Portugal in 06. All teams that there was a dignity at least in losing to.

There was nothing dignified in that defeat tonight.

Absolutely nobody expected England to finish 20 odd minutes from the final, most had written them off before they’d kicked a ball. 

Gareth Southgate has completely rejuvatated that side and actually given them some belief. It’s easy to be annoyed after losing that game but it’s small margins, all in all it’s been a very successful tournament and one to make you proud of the national side again. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Absolutely nobody expected England to finish 20 odd minutes from the final, most had written them off before they’d kicked a ball. 

Gareth Southgate has completely rejuvatated that side and actually given them some belief. It’s easy to be annoyed after losing that game but it’s small margins, all in all it’s been a very successful tournament and one to make you proud of the national side again. 

We will never get a run that easy again.

Whether we just met a team that was too good for us or whether we could have done much better is up for debate.

We just fell apart. I mean it wasn't even close in the end. 

Edited by Beholder

So what was different tonight then? From them losses, because 2010 was a terrible performance and in 06 our striker stood on another players b*****s. This tournament was far better and the best since 96. 

On a different note, funny how most of the detractors have a picture of the hero Hirst as their avatar, living in the past mate. If we didn't do that as a club for so long we might have had vardy and maguire (players who have achieved more) in our team rather than pining over ex players who couldn't give a poo about us. Maybe look to the future for once? A bit random yes, but shows the mentality. 

18 minutes ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

Yes if they beat us I would have excepted the loss. Like Italy did when they beat them to get to the world cup. It's feels like reading some of the comments here that losing a world cup semi final by one goal in extra time makes a team useless.

So you would have accepted a loss merely because they lost? Irrespective of the performance?

Performances matter. I felt pride after the semi-final loss in 1990, and still do. I absolutely don't today. I was the same person then as I am now. We left everything on the pitch in 1990. We barely showed up after half time today.

3 minutes ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

So what was different tonight then? From them losses, because 2010 was a terrible performance and in 06 our striker stood on another players b*****s. This tournament was far better and the best since 96. 

On a different note, funny how most of the detractors have a picture of the hero Hirst as their avatar, living in the past mate. If we didn't do that as a club for so long we might have had vardy and maguire (players who have achieved more) in our team rather than pining over ex players who couldn't give a poo about us. Maybe look to the future for once? A bit random yes, but shows the mentality. 

You have a cartoon character as an avatar. What's your mentality? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cowl said:

So you would have accepted a loss merely because they lost? Irrespective of the performance?

Performances matter. I felt pride after the semi-final loss in 1990, and still do. I absolutely don't today. I was the same person then as I am now. We left everything on the pitch in 1990. We barely showed up after half time today.

We struggled the teams very young, don't see how you cannot see they gave their all throughout the tournament, the 1990 I'll give you that but that was nearly 20 years ago. Since then we have been pretty terrible and arrogant. Except 96

first half we played well and should have been 2/3 up if the truth be told the rest of the game apart from one or two bursts we were stagnant, sorry but we put it on a plate for Croatia sitting on a 1-0 very rarely works ,that said we will get better as the kids get a tad older if we keep them together , but that is for another year

Edited by trevdi9
  • Like 1