ENGLAND 1 - 2 CROATIA | World Cup Semi Final | Matchday Thread

19 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Get it off your chest dnhc! :biggrin:

It was an odd one with the ref.  Because he was seeing things. He wasn't one of these running around with the blinkers on. 

He just didn't seem remotely interested in punishing people for them. 

For men Lovren could have gone in the first half for two yellows.

As it is he made 120 minutes without a booking!

Vrsalijko another. Stamp on Alli.  Shove in Kanes face.  The headlock on Rashford. The push on Kane on a 33 break.  Hurling Danny Rose over the byline.  Remarkable really. 

His best trick of course was when he kicked Rashford in the back. ..and earned himself a free kick.

Rebic was also another who clocked up in my opinion at least three fouls which were of yellow card standard. 

I think there's a few of these tricks we need to learn as well as tactical changes!!

Thing is the refs awarded the kicks. Just not got the cards out. So...what can you do

Who knows. Maybe he thought it would ruin the game. Or that he'd lose control.I don't think he was bent. But his leniency did play a part in procedings 

Not sure about a wider FIFA conspiracy!

i'm with you all the way down to the point of you NOT thinking it's a fifa conspiracy, IF you wasn't you'd have to have a hell of a lot of people with an axe to grind for us to keep finding one. 

as for us learning a few tricks, we'd get sent off for what they didn't get booked for.

i won't see it in my lifetime, but for me the fa need a meeting with fifa where they ask for an explanation to one or two (dozen) things that seem to happen only to us, and suggest it might be better if they stopped happening.

7 minutes ago, dnhc said:

i don't know what he'll learn, IF anything, when i see the products of the fa's coaching system in action i'm far from excited, bland and robotic, southgate may be better than maclaren, but that won't mean he's good enough.

i'm not sure how to rate his 'achievement' this time around, because in my opinion if bobby robson's 1990 side had the fortune to play who we've had to this time, we'd have beaten this french side in the final.

how do i know i'm correct on the fa system?, i take it from all the multi million pound businesses (known as top premier league teams) who all employ a foreign coach/manager.

Who knows.  It's up in the air.

I do know one thing.  I'm one of those who watches all the boring friendlies. More out of a sense of duty than anything. 

But since he's taken the mantle I've actually enjoyed watching them.

They're not the best. But they at least now attempt to play football. Attempt to try and attack. Far from brilliant. But they have a go. 

He might have not had a plan B (Though we did appear to go to a back four a little too late in proceedings.)

But at least we had a plan A to start with.  Which is something we haven't had since 2012. 

I think he 'achievement' for want of a better word is getting a group of players well organised, into a system which suits them and got everyone doing their jobs in a relatively short time after the Allardyce fiasco. 

And he's dropped people. Something others always seemed a bit unwilling to do.  

They're a young side. Hopefully , they and he will learn from it. Whether they do is a different matter.  But theyve been decent to watch. Which in today's world of attritional scared to lose football has been quite refreshing to see from the national side. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Who knows.  It's up in the air.

I do know one thing.  I'm one of those who watches all the boring friendlies. More out of a sense of duty than anything. 

But since he's taken the mantle I've actually enjoyed watching them.

They're not the best. But they at least now attempt to play football. Attempt to try and attack. Far from brilliant. But they have a go. 

He might have not had a plan B (Though we did appear to go to a back four a little too late in proceedings.)

But at least we had a plan A to start with.  Which is something we haven't had since 2012. 

I think he 'achievement' for want of a better word is getting a group of players well organised, into a system which suits them and got everyone doing their jobs in a relatively short time after the Allardyce fiasco. 

And he's dropped people. Something others always seemed a bit unwilling to do.  

They're a young side. Hopefully , they and he will learn from it. Whether they do is a different matter.  But theyve been decent to watch. Which in today's world of attritional scared to lose football has been quite refreshing to see from the national side. 

i think that plan A is called harry kane, his back 3 worked 'fairly' well in early games, and his keeper produced when needed.

other that that we had alli fancying around trying flicks here and there, rashford (for me) looking a little lost, and sterling, well being sterling the 2 in 45 'lead the line' marksman he is.

35 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I don't think we can ever rule out the idea of any FIFA conspiracy anymore

Anyone else see the article the other day (Daily Mail) about the 'mysteries' surrounding the 1998 World Cup final?

I might have laughed those suggestions off ten years ago but that level of corruption seems perfectly plausible now

Oh they're bent as hell.  But it's all about money isn't it. 

In that sense I don't think it'd do them any harm having England in a final to be honest.  

I never agreed with us wasting money bidding for the World Cup when it was quite obvious that without back handers there is zero point putting any bid forward.  

Don't think it ever helps us much generally that our press seems to be one of the few that calls them out on their corruption either. 

But there we go.  

19 minutes ago, dnhc said:

i think that plan A is called harry kane, his back 3 worked 'fairly' well in early games, and his keeper produced when needed.

other that that we had alli fancying around trying flicks here and there, rashford (for me) looking a little lost, and sterling, well being sterling the 2 in 45 'lead the line' marksman he is.

I think Sterling will always divide opinion. It was interesting in the last game to see him as the furthest forward of the front pairing. 

I think a case could have been made for Vardy or Rashford in that role on the shoulder of the last man. Both being more accomplished finishers.

On the other hand in the deeper role in the previous game I thought he was an absolute handful of a player and played a key a part as anybody on the collective result.  It would have been harsh to drop him after that performance.  It's all swings and roundabouts. 

37 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think Sterling will always divide opinion. It was interesting in the last game to see him as the furthest forward of the front pairing. 

I think a case could have been made for Vardy or Rashford in that role on the shoulder of the last man. Both being more accomplished finishers.

On the other hand in the deeper role in the previous game I thought he was an absolute handful of a player and played a key a part as anybody on the collective result.  It would have been harsh to drop him after that performance.  It's all swings and roundabouts. 

He is such an enigma is Stirling, Snoots. I am a fan, he is one hell of a handful. I'd want him in my team (almost) every time.

7 minutes ago, BrotherOwlExile said:

He is such an enigma is Stirling, Snoots. I am a fan, he is one hell of a handful. I'd want him in my team (almost) every time.

I just wonder if he's going to be on of those where it never quite clicks at International level. 

There's been a few.

Mind, there's been some players who I thought looked better at that level than league level. 

It really is a funny old game. 

49 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

i agree with vardy, but assumed he wasn't 100% fit.

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Get it off your chest dnhc! :biggrin:

It was an odd one with the ref.  Because he was seeing things. He wasn't one of these running around with the blinkers on. 

He just didn't seem remotely interested in punishing people for them. 

For men Lovren could have gone in the first half for two yellows.

As it is he made 120 minutes without a booking!

Vrsalijko another. Stamp on Alli.  Shove in Kanes face.  The headlock on Rashford. The push on Kane on a 33 break.  Hurling Danny Rose over the byline.  Remarkable really. 

His best trick of course was when he kicked Rashford in the back. ..and earned himself a free kick.

Rebic was also another who clocked up in my opinion at least three fouls which were of yellow card standard. 

I think there's a few of these tricks we need to learn as well as tactical changes!!

Thing is the refs awarded the kicks. Just not got the cards out. So...what can you do

Who knows. Maybe he thought it would ruin the game. Or that he'd lose control.I don't think he was bent. But his leniency did play a part in procedings 

Not sure about a wider FIFA conspiracy!

The Croatian antics were ludicrous, but compared to Tunisia/Panama/Colombia well within what would be expected imo.

watching us v Belgium and the tactical naivety of Southgate is glaringly obvious. It served us well 5-1-2-2, a great plan for the World Cup. Problem is that seems to be the only plan. If Southgate persists and refuses to change it, I fear he won’t last. Expectations have been dialled up.

5 minutes ago, pussface said:

The Croatian antics were ludicrous, but compared to Tunisia/Panama/Colombia well within what would be expected imo.

watching us v Belgium and the tactical naivety of Southgate is glaringly obvious. It served us well 5-1-2-2, a great plan for the World Cup. Problem is that seems to be the only plan. If Southgate persists and refuses to change it, I fear he won’t last. Expectations have been dialled up.

Like I said it's step in the right direction having a plan A after six years without one. 

I think he will adapt. Doesnt strike me as the type rest on his laurels.

19 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Like I said it's step in the right direction having a plan A after six years without one. 

I think he will adapt. Doesnt strike me as the type rest on his laurels.

we need far younger, fresher men at the fa, with up to date ideas. firstly we need to accept that since passing back for the keeper to pick the ball up was abolished (1992?) england struggle to keep a clean sheet in a meaningful game, so we need to score more.

THEN ONTO THE REAL ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM, MANAGEMENT, whilst we insist on picking the 'best englishman' for the job, we are of course limiting our options, our premier league sides, and now even championship sides have 'seen the light' on this front. our rugby union, cricket, and even the lions are managed by 'johnny foreigner', as is OMG 'the bank of england'. 

we are an inward looking people and selling ourselves short tactically (as the likes of southgate and maclaren are way short of the mark at international level, despite how well they dress) in not picking the best available, BUT THAT WILL BE WIDE OPEN TO GREAT DEBATE.

penultimately, we had more 'LUCK' in this w/c than all the others put together, normally at q/f stage we get big guns like germany, brazil, argentina, italy, portugal, iceland (yes i know) etc. we went as far as one of the poorer/ least experienced sides to leave these shores with harry kane thrown in could have expected, the luck factor when not taken into account will leave people in this country thinking we're going along the right lines, when the future will likely show the real truth.

FINALLY, until we embrace skills at school age academy levels and stop looking for the big bruiser who has big parents, then our premier sides will go abroad for talent, leaving england with the 'blessings' of alli and sterling to dazzle the world with.

24 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

It's got a 2 year guarantee so he might as well keep it for when we win euro 2020 lol 

i think the 2 year guarantee relates to the quality of the product in the box, not to guarantee we'll have something to put in it by 2 years time.