Eight Development Players Training With Main Squad

12 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Surely the whole point of having any sort of youth/academy system is to bring two or three players a season through who are capable of playing in the first team, so overall very happy to hear this news.

Give it a year or two and maybe we will have a team of home produced stars and others that we are selling on at 10 million plus.

In theory yes, though they have to be worth their place in the side Can’t just be a quota system From what I’ve seen, both young keepers are very promising, but it’s probably young Clare who looks the pick of the bunch

Just now, gurujuan said:

In theory yes, though they have to be worth their place in the side Can’t just be a quota system From what I’ve seen, both young keepers are very promising, but it’s probably young Clare who looks the pick of the bunch

Agree about the keepers and for that reason I'd like to see them alternating the number one spot between them this year. Insofar as Clare is concerned, consensus on here seems to be lacking but various comments about him having only had the one good game so probably too early to judge.

6 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Agree about the keepers and for that reason I'd like to see them alternating the number one spot between them this year. Insofar as Clare is concerned, consensus on here seems to be lacking but various comments about him having only had the one good game so probably too early to judge.

Yeah true, probably too early to judge any of them yet Consistency is always an issue with younger players My reasoning with Clare is based on having seen what he is capable of In that one match, he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck

Edited by gurujuan

Guest Grez Bez
2 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

So who are the eight?

I'm assuming Wildsmith and Dawson don't count. Nor Clare.

So,

Thorniley,

Neilsen,

Baker,

Kirby,

Stobbs...and?

Thorniley played more than Clare last year so could fit in either camp.

2 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

You'd like to think that if they really are that good, their services would have been secured which leads me to think (and hope) that maybe they aren't anywhere near as good as they like to think they are.

Doesn’t seem to be a clatter if top clubs snapping them up as some may want you to believe. 

I expect we are going for a cup run to bring in some extra cash this season. 

This will explain the big squad size if we rotate any of the younger lads in and out of the first team. 

In a way, last years injury crises gave a few some game time which may be a blessing in disguise this season. They are wiser and more experienced for it. 

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I thought Thornily was more impressive than Clare in the first team games they played.

He probably lacks a bit of height but his physical and mental strength were outstanding.

Did you see him at QPR? He was awful, really awful, as were the rest of the defence

thornily looks a good back up player so he will take loovens place saving 15k in wages , but we must get in a decent centre half in ,hopefully venancio ,though that will probably only happen if  Rhodes leaves as on loan , hopefully there is a decent right sided player with pace and a decent cross what we can get from a prem team on loan ,is ryan kent avalilable? , my main worry though is the near certainly that fletcher and hooper will break down yet again ,as listening to jos interview sort of said hooper isn't training fully ,neither is lee or fletcher ,seen that they have has all summer to train and gradually get fitter that's a worry. though on other hand if they aint rushed then they could stay fitter in long run.

1 hour ago, LSOwls said:

Thorniley played more than Clare last year so could fit in either camp.

I discounted Clare on the basis that he's injured so won't be training.

Or is he back at full fitness?

Getting him involved with first team might encourage him to sign for us. But would Jos want a want away player working on team tactics?

47 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Did you see him at QPR? He was awful, really awful, as were the rest of the defence

Yep I was at QPR but you have answered your own question, the whole defence was awful so why single out a young lad especially when for some reason we went four at the back. The game was over before I had eaten my pie.

I saw him at home against a big strong Cardiff side when he was great despite Warnock understandably targeting him and equally away at Hull where he played really well against a Hull side that had been scoring for fun

If he was taller he would be a great centre half but I think he will suffer a bit because of his height

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

I'm sorry, but I've seen absolutely nothing from him to justify that claim.

Crazy to see no the poster who has nothing but negativity about every player we are linked with or sign thinks Clare is a gem.... far far far to early to say. On basis of one game? Wow!