Eight Development Players Training With Main Squad

7 hours ago, Beholder said:

It's good but I'm not sure how many are highly rated. 

The highly rated ones are leaving the club

Don't worry. 

15 championship games in a 4 year period will make them worth £12m a piece by current OT logic. 

47 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

So my theory is Clare is off.... so can’t see him being there. Thornley is a first team

player and rightly so he played well and to be honest I’d start with him at left CH.

so 8 players from the academy who could they be.

Stobbs

Nielson

Borakov

Hunt

The young CM who made his debut can’t remeber his name.

Baker

Penney

O’Grady

Connor Kirkby I think you may be on about got to watch and get a feel for the bench on a few occasions and came on as sub once I think maybe twice. 

Looked neat, tidy and comfortable in possession from what I saw bud, but didn't get too long to really show anything. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

How old is Stobbs now? Surely he should have been in and around the first team more if he was at the expected level? Seems to have been around a while.

The ones I'd like to see given some squad time this season are Penney, Kirby, Borukov and Baker. If they impress then great, if not we look to try and offload. That's how other clubs do it and they then filter down the pyramid.

Not everyone can be a professional footballer unfortunately!

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Couldn’t buy a Reach for 7m now? 

Pessy probably worth 4-6 tines what he cost, same with Winnal.

Clare is a gem on his one good game, But JvA isn’t? I mean they both had at least one good game, both very unproven? 

Pudil, solid reliable and well worth full transfer. 

Fletch on a free decent business. He’s no crock and puts body on line every game he’s played for us. 

Jones is a good footballer, not always what’s needed but useful player all the same. 

Boyd, Abdi, Rhodes not worked out. Not written off yet as sometimes written off players can prove you wrong. So yea, three. Three not worked out. Not too clever I agree. But not our recruitment, just our fans forgetful assessment of it. 

Massively disagree reference Fletcher, fail to see what he’s achieved while he’s been here , and he’s on some serious coin 

Guest Ash76

Expecting good tithings from Baker. If Hunt keeps getting niggles he’ll get game time ahead of Palmer I think  

Edited by Ash76

15 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Expecting good tithings from Baker. If Hunt keeps getting niggles he’ll get game time ahead of Palmer I think  

I was pleasantly suprised with what I saw from Baker against Norwich. 

Got a bit of pace about him too. 

19 minutes ago, RichieB said:

I was pleasantly suprised with what I saw from Baker against Norwich. 

Got a bit of pace about him too. 

To be honest, I thought he was a bit of a mixed bag in that game He showed confidence coming forward, but got skinned every time by that young winger of theirs Only bad finishing, and sterling work from the centre backs, stopped Norwich getting five themselves

Thats not to write him off, but both him and Reach were taken to the cleaners that day

Edited by gurujuan
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

To be honest, I thought he was a bit of a mixed bag in that game He showed confidence coming forward, but got skinned every time by that young winger of theirs Only bad finishing, and sterling work from the centre backs, stopped Norwich getting five themselves

Thats not to write him off, but both him and Reach were taken to the cleaners that day

When you play with 3 centre backs and wingbacks with little cover infront of them you are pretty much saying to the opposition go on then you can skin these wingbacks all day long if you want but as soon as it comes in the box the centre backs are clearing it away. 

They are there to cause problems going forward and give us our width alot more then they are there to cover back.

• Like 1

8 from the Development Squad, training with the First Squad, when was the last time that happened?   If such a thing isn't common across the history of SWFC, then maybe it is a strong indication that Jos, whether or not he's looking elsewhere, is definitely looking through his own house, and won't hesitate to promote from within, if he see's performance alongside of yet to be realized, full potential.  

In support of the above opinion:  consider the case of Jordan Thorniley.  It may not be far wrong to consider Thorniley as 1st Squad for 2018-19, Matchday 18, Starting 11, competent Sub-In...more than a few on this very Forum have said as much.  Jos takes over, and immediately throws Thorniley into the mix, and the latter impresses.  

During training, is Thorniley considered as First Squad, or as one of the 8 training with the First Squad?

How do Connor Kirby, Ashley Baker, and Matt Penney figure into the formation(s)?  Borukov has already "figured" because he was the first "new" signing of the year(?).  Thank you to all whom politely told me that Borukov, is in fact an Academy product, and no secret in England.

Again, when was the last time 8 from The Academy, trained with the First Squad?  Is this common practice?  

9 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Couldn’t buy a Reach for 7m now? 

Pessy probably worth 4-6 tines what he cost, same with Winnal.

Clare is a gem on his one good game, But JvA isn’t? I mean they both had at least one good game, both very unproven? 

Pudil, solid reliable and well worth full transfer. 

Fletch on a free decent business. He’s no crock and puts body on line every game he’s played for us. 

Jones is a good footballer, not always what’s needed but useful player all the same. 

Boyd, Abdi, Rhodes not worked out. Not written off yet as sometimes written off players can prove you wrong. So yea, three. Three not worked out. Not too clever I agree. But not our recruitment, just our fans forgetful assessment of it. 

Boyd on a free looked good business, but the problem with those three mentioned was always going to be a lack of resale value looking at a longer term approach, therefore signing players like joey, reach and Lees make far fore sense financially which is good for the club. Lees just as an example like boyd, fletch, Jones and Wallace came for free, but unlike the others would probably demand a fee of around the £6 milion mark now if we cashed in, a very tidy profit. 

20 hours ago, oi_you_owl said:

Anyone watched Alex Hunt play? His technique looks good from the few goal videos I've seen.

Again, great to see the youngsters involved.

he's our most exciting prospect that's for us, he'll be making his debut before the turn of the year I'm sure

Borukov could be going out on loan, he's way down the pecking order, in a similar position to what H**st was

With all the emerging young talent we have, we’ll probably not need any new signings, not even Premier League loans.

I’m sure that will be the universal understanding of all before the transfer window shuts.

Followed by “They’re not ready for the first team. I told you we should’ve brought in some new signings before the window shut. At least Abdi will be back soon. And Winnall”.

Mark my words.

• Like 1

For me this is one of the more exciting developments we've made as a club in a long time.

Get some of the lads in the first team shake up and lets see how they get on. We do have holes in the first team and the Championship is a division which demands squad depth. The lads who came in last season performed admirably and for me should be considered first teamers from here on out. Lets see who else can step up.

11 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I seem to remember him making a couple of brilliant saving tackles in the penalty area in that game. I thought the positives far outweighed the negatives from him. But yes it's only one match but I think he did enough to further his cause.